What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sazarac rye, Carpano Antica sweet vermouth, Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters. Griottines cherry. My first time using the bitters and cherries.

I only started making my own Manhattans a few months ago. Still learning much, but having several in different cocktail bars has helped immensely. I had been using Old Scout Rye (99 proof) and Willet 4 yr rye (110 proof) recently. My drinks tasted too strong. Silly me thought it was too much bitters. No. It was too much alcohol. I made one tonight with a new bottle of the Saz rye (90 proof). Ahhhhhhhhh. The Antica sweetness really comes through now. Lesson learned.

I will learn more about the Fee Brothers WBA bitters - so far, it has that bite I want, but with a whisky sweetness. The Griottines cherries are very good, but expensive. Until now, I had been using home-made brandied cherries.

my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess

1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

1/4 oz Cherry Heeling

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg

d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg

What's the one with all of the feathers on it? Not the WT but the one on the left?
It's a Ryed Chiquen a rye beer finished in a rye whiskey barrel released by ATG brewery and rather tasty I might add.Kind of a play on the whole rye theme but a very nice addition if I do say so to keep things interesting.

my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess

1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

1/4 oz Cherry Heeling

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg

d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg

ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass

I'll be in Milwaukee in a little over a week. If while there, I score another beautiful PET bottle of this, I will be guzzlin'!!!! :D

Have you seen any of the rye in Milwaukee? I've only seen it as far south as Manitowoc. Mostly in upper WI, never in Southeastern WI, unfortunately.

Edited by tylermke

We are supposed to open these and drink em right? u7ebabyb.jpg

Last year or so I wasn't sure. Maybe we just car shot and shelf it?

We are supposed to open these and drink em right? u7ebabyb.jpg

Last year or so I wasn't sure. Maybe we just car shot and shelf it?

Oh hell yeah! Drink it like you stole it! =]b

Have you seen any of the rye in Milwaukee? I've only seen it as far south as Manitowoc. Mostly in upper WI, never in Southeastern WI, unfortunately.

No, I got mine near Chippewa Falls. Actually, we're going to be a little north of MIL., so I'll try my luck.

Nursed a small pour of Rathskellar from an old sample last night, first pour in a couple weeks, since I've been on a no drinking order after a concussion. A little bit goes a long, long way though. Phenomenal. Always leaves my palate buzzing like bees.

Opinion on the Knob Creek vs Saz & Rit BIB?

I thought the KC was pleasant, but one of the lesser pours on the table, especially considering the price. Among those three, I'm probably going to take Saz-Ritt-KC every time. The Dickel was a big surprise hit with everyone. Very easy drinker with a good burst of flavor. The WTR101 wasn't as popular as I had expected, was probably my #4 or 5 (we didn't actually rank them or anything). The Willett 4 year 120.8 proof was probably the consensus #1 in conversation (with two guys picking it tops, and it being my #2 behind the THH 126.9).

My friend is a corporate chef for a meat and dry goods distributor and he hosted. Had some rye crackers with mustard and bratwurst as well as a pumpernickel bread bowl with spinach dip for apps. Then some homemade ruebens that were probably the best I've ever had. Everything paired with the whiskey extremely well.

As Ryan said, that was ATG's Kentucky Ryed Chicken beer. I thought I'd like something a little cool and easy drinking to go with the meal so I brought that along. Everybody's team lost all weekend long, but I'd still have to say it was a success :D

Josh, where did you pick up the high proof Willett rye? As someone said up thread I've only ever seen it at a constant 110 regardless of age.

Josh, where did you pick up the high proof Willett rye? As someone said up thread I've only ever seen it at a constant 110 regardless of age.

I got it at Toddy's in April. It's a good measure better than the normal 110 proof bottles I've had, and I enjoy those.

I got it at Toddy's in April. It's a good measure better than the normal 110 proof bottles I've had, and I enjoy those.

Been there but more recently and didn't see those around. Thanks for the info. One to watch for. Out of curiosity does in say distilled in IN or KY?

Thanks again for the info and to keep this thread on topic, Baby Saz for me while cooking the victuals.

Pour of Prichards. Really turned out to be better than i expected. The nose is charcoal and starter fluid in my mind at least, but the taste is just bold Rye.

Hey Eric, TPS has an 8yr Old Scout rye, which is the same as Willett..MGP/LDI

The proof is 124.2

Phil, thanks for the heads up! Have never tried the OS line either rye or bourbon. That may be a good one to start with.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!