What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ritt BIB. i got it to further experiment with ryes, but i just dont see the popularity of this. for ryes, ive only tried Overholt and this, and neither seem to grab me in any way. actually the OO was downright undrinkable to me. Before i give up on straight ryes, you guys got a recomendable one in the sub $40 range? I see the Willett 4 yr rye everywhere, but with my history of ryes, i pass it up every time. is it worth trying?

Before i give up on straight ryes, you guys got a recomendable one in the sub $40 range? I see the Willett 4 yr rye everywhere, but with my history of ryes, i pass it up every time. is it worth trying?
Well I'll tell you this,it's got the proof you are seeking and the rye punch will bowl you over..... as for the profile that is something you'll have to decide for yourself.I think the Willett is the best value in the bang for your buck category as far as a high proof younger rye.I personally enjoy it,but I enjoy it neat as well as in manhattans so for me it is quite versatile.

But Ritt is the most bourbony rye you're likely to find so if that ain't workin for ya...

But Ritt is the most bourbony rye you're likely to find so if that ain't workin for ya...

that it is. i dont know if i could pick it, as a straight rye, out of a lineup with high rye bourbons

Ritt BIB. i got it to further experiment with ryes, but i just dont see the popularity of this. for ryes, ive only tried Overholt and this, and neither seem to grab me in any way. actually the OO was downright undrinkable to me. Before i give up on straight ryes, you guys got a recomendable one in the sub $40 range? I see the Willett 4 yr rye everywhere, but with my history of ryes, i pass it up every time. is it worth trying?

Beam OO is an abomination and if you are drinking Ritt BIB you may as well just pour a high rye bourbon so I dont' think you have even stepped a pinky toe in the the rye realm.. The Willett is one of those bottles that you will love or hate as it is such a big high proof rye and has a huge amount of rye spice..

The B&H are really strong. Don't use them much. Angostura is nice. Regan is good for a soft touch or going half and half with Angostura. Haven't made up my mind about the Fee Brothers. The Woodford cherry bitters have a soft touch like the Regan orange bitters, but with a little more taste.

CL,

Thanks very much for the bitters descriptions. I'll have to give the Regan and Woodford varieties a try in some upcoming Manhattans. And I agree, the barrel aged Fee Brothers can be tough going, but if you have a chance to try their orange variety, I don't think you'll be disappointed. And they also combine nicely with a dash of something stronger, like Angostura.

The local stores finally got some DSP-1 Rittenhouse in stock, so maybe I'll have a Manhattan-off with the baby Saz and the new Rittenhouse and see what's what.

I like my WFE 5 yr rye, no idea where it comes from and every Willet is different. For sub-$40, you could try a Bulliet Rye which I think is the 95% rye from MGPI - but doesn't meet your 100pf threshold (I think it is 90pf).

had to dip into the Handy tonight. This was my first bottle of BTAC and a good one. Great rye

i actually have had this at a bar once, not overly impressed on that one either. nothing to stand out about it

Got together with some fellow members and had some Delilah's 15, Rathskeller, Bowman CS, BMH18. No big deal.

Edited by LostBottle

Got together with some fellow members and had some Delilah's 15, Rathskeller, Bowman CS, BMH18. No big deal.

Man were there some tasty ryes on that table! 1977 Old Overholt, Hirsch21, Sazerac18, Michter's 10 Rye, Ritt25, Ritt21,...

Man were there some tasty ryes on that table! 1977 Old Overholt, Hirsch21, Sazerac18, Michter's 10 Rye, Ritt25, Ritt21,...

Any BMH 23???

B

Any BMH 23???

B

There was definitely some Vintage 21 on the table and there was no mention. Apparently, when it rains, it pours, especially in Seattle.

No big deal. Wth. That's a big deal!! :)

I'm sure you guys had a good time.

Any BMH 23???

B

There was not a bottle there last night since I had a full 18 open and need to drink some stuff down. The 23 has been known to make an appearance when cracked, I am betting there will be one at the first 2014 meeting.

Edited by LostBottle

Had a nice pour of Willett's 4-year 110-proof (a gift from my son, bless his generous heart:cool:), and enjoyed it very well.

For a 'not-long-aged' whiskey it suffered not in the least from any green, or off, or 'young' flavors or aromas. Quite nice for what it is.

Said in his best Carl Spackler voice as he waves the Rathskellar in the air.:lol:Seriously though,great lineup guys!

Trying to choke down some HW Double Rye. I have liked other HW expressions but I'm having trouble with this one. It's very raw and unbalanced. That being said I enjoy the Rendezvous Rye. IMHO, the younger rye really takes over for me. I get a lot of pine needle notes that I don't really care for in a rye. Anyway, I'm not out any money because I won this bottle in a raffle at a HW tasting :-)

There was not a bottle there last night since I had a full 18 open and need to drink some stuff down. The 23 has been known to make an appearance when cracked, I am betting there will be one at the first 2014 meeting.

Well.... I suppose if you had to make do with what you had, you guys make out very well!!

Jealous of the lineup, and trying to figure out how to tell the wife that I need to book airfare for a trip out west for the next lineup. I only wish.........

B

Trying to choke down some HW Double Rye. I have liked other HW expressions but I'm having trouble with this one. It's very raw and unbalanced. That being said I enjoy the Rendezvous Rye. IMHO, the younger rye really takes over for me. I get a lot of pine needle notes that I don't really care for in a rye. Anyway, I'm not out any money because I won this bottle in a raffle at a HW tasting :-)

Agree about the youthful piney notes and overall unbalanced profile. I'm not a fan, in fact the double rye has been one of my least favorite whiskey experiences.

Had some lovely BMH 18 last night :yum:

I think I had some pours out of that same bottle. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing Gary.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!