What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sipping on some Saz18'12... there's about 1-1.5 pours left but this bottle has kept my attention for about a year now - as good as this is, I still think it's underrated.

Sipping on some Saz18'12... there's about 1-1.5 pours left but this bottle has kept my attention for about a year now - as good as this is, I still think it's underrated.

Last night had some LS&B 13y. It's a good pour but I want be buying another at that price. I got a VW Rye this year and have it opened up also. What a rye. It's amazing when something is done right.

Sazarac Jr....last bottle in my possession about 1/2 full now...need to get a few before they do the annual disappearing act for many a month in the coming year.

Sampled some Catskill Provisions New York Honey whiskey. This product is contract produced by Finger Lakes Distilling for a local honey and honey product producer. Basically, Finger Lakes Distilling adds the local honey to their standard rye whiskey (although I suspect a younger rye since it burns a bit even at 80 proof). The marketing material had this great line from Tom McKenzie: “We took some of our very best rye, combined it with lovely, flowery honey to produce a slightly sweet, spicy drink. Good for what ails you. This stuff is the bees knees. That is if bees drank rye.” Funny stuff.

As a bourbon/rye purist, I wanted to hate this stuff, but it's actually pretty solid. I expected this concoction to smell overly sweet and honeyed, but the standard FLD rye nose burst from the glass instead. Tasting the honey whiskey, fresh, spicy rye grain dominates with the honey hiding around the edges and providing a hint of sweetness. I wouldn't call this stuff sweet, by the way. Best part about this stuff is the long lingering finish of real honey flavor (if you've ever had fresh honey-comb honey, like that)--lasts for a good five minutes.

I could see this product as a potential gateway for non-whiskey drinkers, unlike that flavored crap from big brands that bares little resemblance to whiskey. I also appreciate they used rye whiskey, which makes for a truly bold profile (and, again, a bit hot but manageable). I think, overall, Tom and his crew did a great job on this stuff.

HW Rendezvous. Love this stuff. Went through the first half of this with a quickness then put it away for a while. It's now back on top of on the bar, don't think it'll last long.

Enjoying a heavy pour if last year's THH. Getting down to the bottom of the bottle but still tasting great. At only 6 years I just don't see why they don't release more of the stuff. I guess it wouldn't be so popular if it was easy to find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying a heavy pour if last year's THH. Getting down to the bottom of the bottle but still tasting great. At only 6 years I just don't see why they don't release more of the stuff. I guess it wouldn't be so popular if it was easy to find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Not an age issue but total supply. They are releasing more of it but watered down and bottled as Baby Saz.

It's also my understanding that older versions are also being blended into VWFRR and waiting in the wings to take over for Saz18.

It's also my understanding that older versions are also being blended into VWFRR and waiting in the wings to take over for Saz18.

Sounds about right. Trying to put some of both of those away but hard to do when they are so scarce already. Did manage a Saz18 this year but....it's already open and dwindling fast.

Some James E Pepper Rye (NAS stuff), which I'm so glad I bought. Just a tasty pour!

How do you like it compared to the young Willet stuff bottled under their Family Estate label? I like the Willet because of the high proof for cocktails, but lately, it's been creeping up in price. $35-40 depending on where I see it. I like Ritt BIB, but sometimes I want more rye kick.

Correct me if I'm wrong but typically the Pepper Rye (NAS) is 100 proof and typically under $30. I'd give up a few points of proof, but 100 proof should hold up well in cocktails.

How do you like it compared to the young Willet stuff bottled under their Family Estate label? I like the Willet because of the high proof for cocktails, but lately, it's been creeping up in price. $35-40 depending on where I see it. I like Ritt BIB, but sometimes I want more rye kick.

Correct me if I'm wrong but typically the Pepper Rye (NAS) is 100 proof and typically under $30. I'd give up a few points of proof, but 100 proof should hold up well in cocktails.

I'll bring it to the next GBS, but I think it compares favorably. It is 100 proof, believe it is 2 yrs old, and I think I picked it up for $25 or $28. Definitely has more kick than Ritt BIB. The WFER is probably the closest comparison I can think of. I'll definitely pick it back up again.

I have been exploring a lot of ryes lately. Drinking WFE 4 Yr tonight. It is young and spicy. Of course, the proof ramps it up.

I don't have access to any of the aged ryes. VWFRR and Saz 18 are on my wish list.

Of the accessible ryes, my current order of preference: Jeff 10 (NCF), HW DR, WT 101, WFE 4, Ritt BIB, Baby Saz, Bone Snapper.

I wouldn't mind trying the Pepper Rye. There are a lot of 2 year old LDI ryes out there. It is difficult to differentiate them.

Having some WFE 4yr baby with a few drops of water.

I have been with you tonight.

I actually did a flight tasting at home tonight while playing Uno and watching It's a Wonderful Life. Partially blind. My rankings end up:

Jeff 10 NCF

HW DR

WTR 101

Willett 4 Yr

Ritt BIB

Baby Saz

There really wasn't much difference between HW DR, WTR101 and WFE 4...a little drop off to Ritt BIB and Baby Saz. Jeff10 NCF was the clear winner!

Ended with a second pour of WFE 4. All pours were about 1/2 ounce.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!