What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WTR101 in an Old Fashioned. This is really the only reason I was worried about this label going away. I'm not a huge fan of WT rye by itself, but good god, I can make it sing in a whiskey cocktail.

I agree...I usually rotate between WT rye and Ritt rye for my Old Fashioneds...having one with Ritt now!

Whistlepig 100proof in a Monte Carlo - just opened the bottle; never had it before. Isn't bad for a Canadian rye masquerading as a Vermonter.

Pretty expensive to use in cocktails . . .

Last few pours from a bottle of baby Saz. I'm usually more inclined to drink Rye in the summer. I blame the ice and snow in my yard for driving me there today.

JPS 21 and a Hirsch 25 light and delicate vs. deep,woody and brooding.I'm liking the extreme contrast and honestly am rather enjoying both equally this evening you never know on a given night what will fit the bill.....now who's up next?:grin:

Van Winkle rye. Really speaking to me now after an indifferent first pour when the bottle was opened.

Office closed for tomorrow (The IceStorm Cometh) and I'll be "working" from home. So...I'm into the Handy.

Started off with two fingers of Dickel and followed it up with an equal portion of WTRR. Really fighting the urge to do it again!

Last night I dipped into a taste of Ritt 21, Vintage 21 rye and a rye vat I pieced together from a bunch of LDI and other stuff. They were all very tasty indeed.

I've been working on the WTRR this week and plan on continuing, until I reach my goal of finding the bottom of the bottle.

With my brother in law visiting, we are working through everything in the cabinet. Last night was a rye night and we had: Whistle Pig basic 10yr, EH Taylor Rye, Willet 4yr 110 proof, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 8yr cask strength rye barrel select by the Party Source, and finally '13 Handy.

Handy was the clear winner. Next, Old Scout and EH Taylor while different ranked about in a tie. Willet was not far behind - it's possibly a younger version of the Old Scout and the extra age in the Old Scout was really agreeable to us. Whistle Pig paled in comparison to these.

Healthy pour of Ritt BIB after cleaning out the gutters this lovely Sunday afternoon. Doing a marvelous job of muscling out the smell of wet leaves :)

Enjoying the the finer things in life. Watching The Jungle Book with my daughter on my lap and Saz 18 in my glass.

Enjoying the the finer things in life. Watching The Jungle Book with my daughter on my lap and Saz 18 in my glass.

That's sound like a perfect moment.

I too will join in a pour of Saz18 then while watching my almost two year old boy playing around in the living room.

Healthy doses of WTRR and GD last night with a little basketball. The further in I go into this bottle of the RR the more I like it. Liquid candy.

Had my first pour of THH 2013 a couple nights ago. Might be the best Handy I've ever had, and definitely the best of the 2013 BTAC, IMO.

I've been hoarding a bottle of Hirsch 22 for over a year now, because just as I decided to spring for a bottle (and loved it) it pretty much disappeared from the market. However, the last two times I've had a pour it's seemed way over-oaked. I might be falling out of love with the old ryes, or perhaps my tastes have changed. This time last year I was all about any oldies.

I've been hoarding a bottle of Hirsch 22 for over a year now, because just as I decided to spring for a bottle (and loved it) it pretty much disappeared from the market. However, the last two times I've had a pour it's seemed way over-oaked. I might be falling out of love with the old ryes, or perhaps my tastes have changed. This time last year I was all about any oldies.

Trey, I'm with you on the oakiness, but the longer mine has been open(and the more times I try it) the more palatable it has become. Love it vatted w some Saz18, but I can take a pour now and then solo for a change of pace.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!