What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some AE rye tonight. I don't know if ppl crap on this stuff or not but I do know that this bottle is going FAST. It doesn't tickle the same spot that the ultra-aged ryes do but it tickles all the other spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just hit Indiana. I have had a sample taste before and liked it. Very sweet, like dessert in a glass. Would seem to make a great after dinner pour. Do I remember correctly a strong gingerbread flavor?

Do I remember correctly a strong gingerbread flavor?

I get a huge gingerbread hit on the nose.

I absolutely adore this rye. Truly a part of me likes it better than the ultra-aged stuff. Maybe I'm just telling myself that, dunno. Either way it's just a fantastic pour.

Having some AE rye tonight. I don't know if ppl crap on this stuff or not but I do know that this bottle is going FAST. It doesn't tickle the same spot that the ultra-aged ryes do but it tickles all the other spots.

I love the AE rye. Love it. I hit the breaks on mine over the holidays with about 1/4 left. Should probably give it some love.

This just hit Indiana. I have had a sample taste before and liked it. Very sweet, like dessert in a glass. Would seem to make a great after dinner pour. Do I remember correctly a strong gingerbread flavor?
I get a huge gingerbread hit on the nose.
I absolutely adore this rye. Truly a part of me likes it better than the ultra-aged stuff. Maybe I'm just telling myself that, dunno. Either way it's just a fantastic pour.
Very strong gingerbread for me too and very very sweet. Not my thing.

Well it took A WHILE but I'm with Dave :grin:.

I get pineapple upside down cake on the AE Rye. It makes me so happy to get a whiff of that unique stuff.

The AE Rye is the only pour that I've ever had where I have loved it but I could totally understand why someone wouldn't. I passed on it so many times for the very reason that its description didn't sound like something I would enjoy - gingerbread, sweet, syrup-y. I think I enjoy it because each time it is an "experience" because it is so much different than anything else I own or I've tried.

I will be picking up the next one I see and probably another to stash until winter to make a few knockout eggnogs.

Interesting, but I don't find the gingerbread and sweetness to carry over to the palate in a cloying manner. First time I smelled it, I cringed at the thought of drinking it, thinking it would be too sweet. I did not find it to be so. I love it. But, I can definitely see anyone not digging it.

It almost tasted like flavored whiskey to me. Much more finishing influence than the upcoming HW bug juice.

Interesting, but I don't find the gingerbread and sweetness to carry over to the palate in a cloying manner. First time I smelled it, I cringed at the thought of drinking it, thinking it would be too sweet. I did not find it to be so. I love it. But, I can definitely see anyone not digging it.

Agreed. I think it is terrific, but I can surely see how someone might not like it. I have found cutting it with some water opens it up a bit, and takes away even a bit more of the sweetness. Fortunately, it is 100 proof, so it can handle a bit of water without getting watered down.

It almost tasted like flavored whiskey to me. Much more finishing influence than the upcoming HW bug juice.

I had a threesome tonight....... Lot 40 (2012), LS&B, and Jeffersons 10y. Jeffersons took 1st place then Lot40 then LS&B.

Kicked off Friday with some BMH 18yr. Figured that would make the last two conference calls of the day go so much better, and I was delighted to find my assumption to be correct :)

I had to settle some internal debate. Did a blind tasting of 2013 VWFRR, H22, M10 from 04, and Vintage 21.

The results were somewhat surprising: (1) H22, (2) VWFRR, (3) V21, (4) M10.

I must say that it was really hard for someone without a great palette to differentiate and it was like picking your favorite child. I may revisit this in the future because as I sip the V21 it is really growing on me.

amejagyd.jpg

That's a very nice lineup and you really can't be too disappointed with any one of them all solid ryes.

That's a very nice lineup and you really can't be too disappointed with any one of them all solid ryes.

I wanted to like them in the order I had the most of the them and ease of replacing them. I was pleased the V21 and VWFRR didn't blow the others out. I'm thinking the V21 might wind up being the one I enjoy most. Having multiples of H22 I was pleased that it was at or near the top.

Recently stumbling across a few H21's and 22's myself I know what you mean.:grin:

Finished off my bottle of V23 last night. Not my favorite old rye but it did get better with air and a cube of ice.

Some AE rye finished the night. Not a typical rye, not a frequent pour either, but uniquely delicious.

Like another recently said, totally has that holiday favor to it.

B

Coming back to the USA before leaving for Ireland tomorrow - Willett 24/110 Rye (#637)

THH from 2010 went very well with roast whole chicken, greens and brown rice last night. It cut right through the food with earthy spices, really couldn't have asked for a better pairing.

I know it's St. Patrick's Day but I'm having some WTR 101 thanks to very generous member here. :-)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!