What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Aaaand first to reply in a thread I started. Anyone else want to play along or is everyone in "save for the rarities" mode?:grin:

Anyway as to the topic at hand WT Rye 101 at $23. Just adding to the bunker in case the doomsayers are right. And if it does come back the downside is I've got some very good and inexpensive rye to drink.

Anyone else want to play along or is everyone in "save for the rarities" mode?:grin:

This ;-)

Oh, and somebody's gotta deny you a hat-trick kickoff on this thread =]b

ND Overholt

18 yr Old Man Winter

24 yr 110 pr Willett

2011 Saz 18

OK, Google broke when i searched for Old Man Winter. Who is the distillers/brand?

OK, Google broke when i searched for Old Man Winter. Who is the distillers/brand?

Try this:

オールド・マンウィンターライ

I'm going to guess KBD for export

Edited by ChainWhip

a3e5u7av.jpg

It is an NDP rye for the Japanese market. Based on the flavor profile I have no idea who produced it as it does not taste like anything else I have tasted. It also is not a "straight" rye so that could have something to do with the different taste profile.

Try this:

オールド・マンウィンターライ

Rakuten pulls it up as American Rye, but no distiller mentioned....so i'm still baffled.

a3e5u7av.jpg

It is an NDP rye for the Japanese market. Based on the flavor profile I have no idea who produced it as it does not taste like anything else I have tasted. It also is not a "straight" rye so that could have something to do with the different taste profile.

So we chalk this up to a random Japanese marketing manager buying a barrel from HH/etc.. and making his own labels? (based on the art, he/she may have).

Michael, that Willett looks intriguing, same barrel as the samples you got from Johnny? The Gift Shop had V23 and WFE 25 ryes but they were pretty salty at well over $200 ea. I could only pull the trigger on one thing and went with the 20 yr barrel proof bourbon. Afraid the ryes would be too woody for my taste.

I assume it is the same barrel, it is quite a delicious rye. The 25 yr gift shop ryes I have are quite woody and syrupy, so probably a good pass @ $200 unless you really enjoy a lot of wood. Would be interested in trying the 23 yr rye from the gift shop.

It was the Vintage23 bottle at about $225 if I remember correctly. The 20 yr bourbon was slightly less expensive and my splurge ended there. They did have quite a few bottles of the 23 if you can find a good mule in the area.

Nothing. I like reading this thread and living vicariously through others though.

Saving money for a crocheted Van Winkle flask and belt?

2 bottles of Baby Saz. Have not seen this on the shelves in MI for at least 2-3 years. I know there has been a discussion of a shortage but how bad of a problem has it been for everybody else? Has it been a problem for others?

Baby Saz came and went in about 3 days last year. It's back again, with a few bottles still on the shelf, but the price is now in the mid $30s.

Restocked Baby Saz, 26.99, tax-free, grabbed 3 bottles before it gets scarce again. Find it sometimes in the 30-35 range, but I pass, looking for a deal like this.

2 bottles of Baby Saz. Have not seen this on the shelves in MI for at least 2-3 years. I know there has been a discussion of a shortage but how bad of a problem has it been for everybody else? Has it been a problem for others?[/quote

I've been to KY a couple times in the last two weeks. Every place I went, they seemed to be flush with it. Priced from $27-$37 + tax..then I stopped at a store in Cincy, there were 6 on the shelf.. $26.90, out the door.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!