What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has since occurred to me that after we saw the first liquor store next to our gas station stop, it would take us weeks to get there, if we ever arrived at all.

Wear your GoPro cameras as you hunt... There's at least four episodes worth of the "Whiskey Hunters" reality TV show in this trip:

- Ep1: Pilot / Midwest kickoff

- Ep2: Hunting the Prairie Lands

- Ep3: Stalking prey in the Great Basin

- Ep4: Pacific Northwest / season finale

Edit:

- Ep5: Throwing caution to the wind... We're just going to keep on going and take our hunt to the Land of the Rising Sun

=]b

Edited by ChainWhip

Just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye DSP-354 last night, only one of about 12 bottles of the shelf, the rest were DSP-1. Haven't had either yet but saw Rittenhouse on the shelf yesterday afternoon, was curious, and came back here to read about it. Figured I'd go for the 354 since it was there.

- Ep5: Throwing caution to the wind... We're just going to keep on going and take our hunt to the Land of the Rising Sun

I've been working on episode 5 for the last week or so, but Japan is not an easy place hunt! Many (most?) stores are unlisted and few carry more than the typical JD and JB. With that said, I've found some dusties, but none that I felt were worth the effort to get back to the US (things like 1990's EWSBs, tax stamped IW Harper 80, and tax stamped AA).

To stay on topic, I find did a lone bottle of Willett 24 year old 110 proof rye in a small Japanese city near my friend's house.

A pleasant surprise when a relatively new connection that I had not really expected much from came through with a bottle of Saz18.

post-8493-1448981985746_thumb.jpg

Now those are the kind of surprises I like! Have been looking for a bottle of ER17 but it seems to be harder to find for some reason. Could be BT be planning to pull an EC21 type move?

I've been working on episode 5 for the last week or so, but Japan is not an easy place hunt! Many (most?) stores are unlisted and few carry more than the typical JD and JB. With that said, I've found some dusties, but none that I felt were worth the effort to get back to the US (things like 1990's EWSBs, tax stamped IW Harper 80, and tax stamped AA).

To stay on topic, I find did a lone bottle of Willett 24 year old 110 proof rye in a small Japanese city near my friend's house.

That rye is delicious & well worth the trouble of bringing it over :-)

A pleasant surprise when a relatively new connection that I had not really expected much from came through with a bottle of Saz18.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16708[/ATTACH]

Now those are the kind of surprises I like! Have been looking for a bottle of ER17 but it seems to be harder to find for some reason. Could be BT be planning to pull an EC21 type move?

Sometimes, the least expected offers the greatest delight... :-)

Edited by ChainWhip

Could be BT be planning to pull an EC21 type move?

That's an interesting thought. With the past two years pushing closer to 21 than 17 it's possible they're letting some barrels get a little more age on them.

Picked up a Baby Saz yesterday. Stores in my neck of the woods just got a few bottles each on the recent delivery. Or so says two of them.

Opened a bottle of rendezvous, been to long and I almost forgot how good this is for a regular off the shelf bottle

Went in to pick up a '13 THH my whiskey monger was graciously holding for me, and then he proceeded to present a '13 Saz 18 for my consideration. Considerating :crazy: took 0.5 seconds...Sold!! :D.

Went in to pick up a '13 THH my whiskey monger was graciously holding for me, and then he proceeded to present a '13 Saz 18 for my consideration. Considerating :crazy: took 0.5 seconds...Sold!! :D.

Joe, great story. Again points out the value of befriending you retailer and being a regular customer.

So is it safe to say that the BTAC has hit GA? I'm eager to try and get my hands on a Saz 18 or THH!

Joe, great story. Again points out the value of befriending you retailer and being a regular customer.

Yessir OD, there is no better way to put oneself in position to get help. Quid pro quo, as they say.

2 Saz 18s found their way into my life, just glad my wife likes to help me around those pesky 1 bottle limits

Didn't purchase, but a VERY good friend found and gifted me a Hirsch 25yr rye today! Needless to say, I'm a very lucky man to have great spirits to drink and even better friends to share them with. You guys are the best! Thanks again big guy.

I'm glad to see you got one and honestly I couldn't think of a more deserving person......well other than myself that is.:grin:

I'm glad to see you got one and honestly I couldn't think of a more deserving person......well other than myself that is.:grin:

Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliment! As you are well aware, we have great friends and I really like how we try to look out for each other. Seems to be going well so far :grin:. Really glad I joined SB and met you guys.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!