What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed over a bunch of Lot 40 around here in the last couple of weeks.

yeah same here. is it really a $60 bottle? (I realize I'm the only one who can decide that for me but I'm obviously not convinced yet)

yeah same here. is it really a $60 bottle? (I realize I'm the only one who can decide that for me but I'm obviously not convinced yet)

It really needs to be in the $35-40 range IMO

It really needs to be in the $35-40 range IMO

It still is $39 @ LCBO in Ontario Canada...i'm baffled as to the % differentiation between Canada and USA on this one. Yet i saw a Pike Creek today for $41....and back in Canada it's $39. Best guess i have is it got rave reviews in magazines/blogs and they priced accordingly?

Figured Rye would be the logical choice if available

in Chi-town, it's limit one bottle per person.

seems like they don't ship enough here for the size of the market

62b22b53-5ffd-443a-9fe0-4f71a25764d2_zpsd377023b.jpg

Figured Rye would be the logical choice if available

in Chi-town, it's limit one bottle per person.

seems like they don't ship enough here for the size of the market

62b22b53-5ffd-443a-9fe0-4f71a25764d2_zpsd377023b.jpg

Even though I realize it means absolutely nothing, looks like "D" bottles are in the market this year. The 2 which I managed to get home are "C" lettered/numbered. Mine are probably left over from last year. I did not get any last year but the ones I still have left from 2011 are "Bxxxx".

Even though I realize it means absolutely nothing, looks like "D" bottles are in the market this year. The 2 which I managed to get home are "C" lettered/numbered. Mine are probably left over from last year. I did not get any last year but the ones I still have left from 2011 are "Bxxxx".

I see the bottling number at the top of the label. What does d752 tell me? Is it a batch number?

Picked up a LSB rye. Monger gave me a good price on the bottle.

Would have been a bit more gun-shy about this if not for the sample that I had of it.

B

Picked up a LSB rye. Monger gave me a good price on the bottle.

Would have been a bit more gun-shy about this if not for the sample that I had of it.

B

I have a sample rolling in my way,I'd be curious to hear your take on it as it just hit shelves here. Edited by WAINWRIGHT

While not purchased today, these lost bottles were found in the back of the bunker, so a score of sorts. I should open a 16, so I will uncork one of these too. Do any locals have an open 21, Rendezvous, or Double Rye to throw into the mix for a vertical?

photo_zps1051216b.jpg

While not purchased today, these lost bottles were found in the back of the bunker, so a score of sorts. I should open a 16, so I will uncork one of these too. Do any locals have an open 21, Rendezvous, or Double Rye to throw into the mix for a vertical?

I have a quick question for anyone who has a Black Maple Hill 23 floating around. Have you ever seen a cask number other than 1, 7, or 9?

photo_zps1051216b.jpg

This is awesome, Will. This was a wonderful bottling, great that you have a couple bottles. There's one bar in SLC that still has some... At least until I drink it all.

Will, I could open a 21 for a tasting. I also have open one of those rebarreled double ryes to throw in, as well.

Leopold's Bros Maryland-style rye is hitting the market in CA. I bought 2 bottles out of the gate, may get 2-3 more for gifts or rainy day. It comes out here right before Thanksgiving and is gone in 1-2 weeks. If you see it or can find it online, jump on it. At $40-50 it's one of the best ryes on the market today IMHO.

Picked up another bottle of baby Zaz for the bunker. For $34.99 I think it is one of best ryes for the money.

I have a 2013 VWFRR, from all I have gathered it is a blend of BT and 18yr old tanked stock from the last several years. I have seen nothing that suggests it is all BT at this point. Can anyone confirm? Just curious as this is my first rye and it seems the origin of various ryes is a bit harder to determine than bourbon.

Saw a bunch of Baby Saz for about $25 today while hunting Pappy, but I passed since I have a couple bunkered already. I did get a 2013 VWFRR though. Very happy about that :)

kc, I can't say what the mix is currently though I expect the original stock has been largely if not completely replaced by BT distillate. It's a very good choice for a first rye though so let's have some tasting notes.

I have a 2013 VWFRR, from all I have gathered it is a blend of BT and 18yr old tanked stock from the last several years. I have seen nothing that suggests it is all BT at this point. Can anyone confirm? Just curious as this is my first rye and it seems the origin of various ryes is a bit harder to determine than bourbon.

First rye? Man, you're setting the bar pretty high! Enjoy!

from what I've read the VWFR rye is still the old mixed juice which was tanked some time ago. Will be interesting to see when BT's ryes hit VW and Saz 18. Anyone know when the clock started for those?

Some time back Julian said he had enough rye tanked for a 13 year supply so I estimate it should be all BT distillate by late 2015 or 2016. Of course he was talking about the Medley/Cream of Kentucky old stock that was tanked at 19 years of age. He also has mentioned BT stock would be blended in when it came of age and now that the BT stocks are over 13 what goes into VWFRR 13 or Sazerac 18 is not being disclosed.

Mr. Wheatley said the BT distillate is about ready for being able to take over for the tanked Saz18 (which is about a year from being finished).

Picked up a Jefferson's 10 year Canada-sourced rye, Batch 43. Paid a bit more than I can get the newer bottlings for, but not seeing much Canadian Jeff around anymore.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!