What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First rye? Man, you're setting the bar pretty high! Enjoy!

from what I've read the VWFR rye is still the old mixed juice which was tanked some time ago. Will be interesting to see when BT's ryes hit VW and Saz 18. Anyone know when the clock started for those?

Some time back Julian said he had enough rye tanked for a 13 year supply so I estimate it should be all BT distillate by late 2015 or 2016. Of course he was talking about the Medley/Cream of Kentucky old stock that was tanked at 19 years of age. He also has mentioned BT stock would be blended in when it came of age and now that the BT stocks are over 13 what goes into VWFRR 13 or Sazerac 18 is not being disclosed.

Thanks all. I have no interest in drama or controversy over this, let me state that up front. The geek in me finds the old medley/cream of KY components fascinating from a "history in the bottle" perspective, that's what compelled me to pull the trigger on this one vs. any number of others I could have started with. I agree its a high bar out of the gate and I am glad to have it. Should my '13 FRR contain some of that history it will make a very interesting bottle all the more interesting to me.

I believe the original VWFRR last year is 2017 after that it will be BT juice. That's right Joe I said juice live with it. :grin:

Edited by p_elliott

I believe the original VWFRR last year is 2017 after that it will be BT juice. That's right Joe I said juice live with it. :grin:

Et tu, Paulo??? (sniff...sniff... :cry: )

So, is the current juice worse than the old juice and better than the future juice? Or is that juice going to be better than the tanked juice and the currently bottled juice? Is it C of Ky juice or BT juice? Tanked, mingled or fresh squeezed? Anyone? Joe?

Sure, go ahead and torment me...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fingernails+on+a+chalkboard+youtube&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=9C9961E4C16D63979BD39C9961E4C16D63979BD3

:D

Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye. Won't be able to pick it up for a couple days, but really excited to try it.

So, is the current juice worse than the old juice and better than the future juice? Or is that juice going to be better than the tanked juice and the currently bottled juice? Is it C of Ky juice or BT juice? Tanked, mingled or fresh squeezed? Anyone? Joe?

So we know as much about this as the typical NDP bottle? :bigeyes:

Traveling today, stopped in an independent liquor store with typical products, except for a Jefferson's NCF Canadian Rye. The price was right so it came home with me. First time I have ever seen one of these in Indiana.

So we know as much about this as the typical NDP bottle? :bigeyes:

Well yes and no. I was yanking Joe's chain on the juice thing. It is widely accepted that VWFRR is (or was) a blend of Old Medley and Cream of Ky ryes tanked when they started to get overoaked at 18-19 yrs old although the 13 yr age statement was retained. The last few years releases have been drawn from the tank while BT gets rye stock aged sufficiently to take over. Most agree that hasn't happened yet, but its not certain when the tank stuff will end and the BT stuff will be used-and whether it will be a gradual mingling or more abrupt switch.

The last few years releases have been drawn from the tank while BT gets rye stock aged sufficiently to take over. Most agree that hasn't happened yet, but its not certain when the tank stuff will end and the BT stuff will be used-and whether it will be a gradual mingling or more abrupt switch.

If the BT rye is almost ready for use to replace the Saz18, it would stand to reason the same juice reached the 13 year mark ~3-4 years ago.

If the BT rye is almost ready for use to replace the Saz18, it would stand to reason the same juice reached the 13 year mark ~3-4 years ago.

good reminder to all to go back and read the early days. There are some very interesting, and informational threads out there.

B

Well yes and no. I was yanking Joe's chain on the juice thing. It is widely accepted that VWFRR is (or was) a blend of Old Medley and Cream of Ky ryes tanked when they started to get overoaked at 18-19 yrs old although the 13 yr age statement was retained. The last few years releases have been drawn from the tank while BT gets rye stock aged sufficiently to take over. Most agree that hasn't happened yet, but its not certain when the tank stuff will end and the BT stuff will be used-and whether it will be a gradual mingling or more abrupt switch.

Pretty sure the mingling has already been occurring for a couple years.

Harlen Wheatley confirmed it without hesitation (I specifically asked) last night at a bourbon dinner last night in Atlanta. Didn't say how much of each was in the bottle but wasn't the least bit shy about saying it contained BT rye in addition to the tanked blend.

He also said that, for the moment, Saz 18 remains as pure as the driven snow! Or at least it is pure CoK. Interestingly he mentioned that BT helped make CoK from that era so perhaps it might not all be from the old Bernheim?

Not rye but in the same vein he also noted that the ER17 this year was 19yo just because it turned out to be the right time to release it. No nefarious plans to turn it into an ER20 or some other product or so it was reported. Time will tell!

(At least I am pretty sure that is what he said! There was a lot of bourbon served...) :cool:

Edited by tanstaafl2

Harlan Wheatley and Julian Van Winkle are saying two different things about the same products? deja vu all over again.

Paul I think Julian was saying the FRR would be 100% BT whisky by then. If I recall his post said in 2004 they tanked the remainder of his rye supply (19 years old at the time) because he thought the whisky would go downhill with further barrel aging.

I'll go with Harlen's comment, after all he is the guy in charge.

Remember what was said about us asking questions about the contents of those bottles we have to work so hard to chase for the privilege of paying a not insignificant amount:

Pappy fanatics fill Internet message boards, questioning the specifics of each bottle. Seriously, check out the blog Whisky Advocate if you have two hours to kill. "I mean, get a life. These are grown men acting like little old ladies, stirring up the pot," Julian says. "Do you like how it tastes? Then what's it matter what's in the barrel?"

This pretty much sums up the Van Wonka product marketing:

Edited by LostBottle

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!