What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ah, just read Julian's post of 3-11-04 where he said they would use up his rye stock in 14 years (2016) at the depletion rate of about 400 cases a year.

Anybody know how many cases of VWFFR was released in 2013?

Ah, just read Julian's post of 3-11-04 where he said they would use up his rye stock in 14 years (2016) at the depletion rate of about 400 cases a year.

Anybody know how many cases of VWFFR was released in 2013?

Not sure since i don't think they generally say but I think it has been less than that. Not counting what walked out the warehouse earlier this year of course! Would only make sense to blend it over several years to try to make the transition as seemless as possible over several years.

But I certainly don't know what they are really doing!

picked up a bottle of Willett 4yr 110 proof rye. Although I know this is from Indiana, the continuing good reports about this stuff convinced me to give it a try.

picked up a bottle of Willett 4yr 110 proof rye. Although I know this is from Indiana, the continuing good reports about this stuff convinced me to give it a try.

I've been very happy with the bottles I have had. Of all the iterations of LDI/MGPI/Seagrams/WTFBBQ I like the Willetts by far the best.

I think you'll be pleased. I am very impressed with my bottle, as a 4 year old $35 rye. Really delicious flavor-I suspect the higher proof helps in that department.

Like I often say, I should have bought more, as my usual sources seem to be out of it now.

I also picked up a Willett 4yr today. Had been passing on it regularly, but the good reviews above nudged me enough to give it a go.

Actually I have some fond memories of Indiana, inasmuch as I spent 9 1/2 weeks at Indiana University Health's Proton therapy Center two years ago receiving proton radiation treatment for prostate cancer. Complete success so far.

Remember what was said about us asking questions about the contents of those bottles we have to work so hard to chase for the privilege of paying a not insignificant amount:

This pretty much sums up the Van Wonka product marketing:

Remember? Uh, no...not really. Remind me again tomorrow...Perhaps, you'll make your point eventually...Or, go with the tried and true method...bang your spoon on the table, kick your feet wildly in your high chair, and throw your bowl of mashed peas across the room....:rolleyes:

I've had a number of different versions of the Willett/LDI rye, 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old. They're single barrel, so they're not exactly the same. To me it seems like for this, the individual barrel has more influence than the age. All have been pretty good, but the one that really stood out was a 2 year old barrel from back when I first started to see this on the shelves.

I'm a believer in the individually of barrels. A good barrel makes good whisky and I think we place far too much emphasis on age alone.

Remember? Uh, no...not really. Remind me again tomorrow...Perhaps, you'll make your point eventually...Or, go with the tried and true method...bang your spoon on the table, kick your feet wildly in your high chair, and throw your bowl of mashed peas across the room....:rolleyes:
Edited by LostBottle

It is interesting that when people become critical of a popular business or product, there are a certain amount of people who rush to the defense of that business/product. This happens even when they know the business may not have their best interests at heart. It gets especially interesting when an argument cannot be made to defend said business, so the ad hominem tactic is used instead. I see the same thing happen on the Apple boards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

How 'bout we get away from thread drift here, and get back on topic. Please. There, I asked nicely.

Thanks for your cooperation. Joe

How 'bout we get away from thread drift here, and get back on topic. Please. There, I asked nicely.

Thanks for your cooperation. Joe

You're right. Sorry, my bad.

I bought a High West Double Rye. I realize that it is probably not the best liked of their products but I had an opportunity to sample before buying and thought it would be a good addition to my rye bottles. The price seemed right, $32.99.

I recently bought a Jefferson 10 Yr, Canadian, NCF. Both of which I sampled tonight. Initially, I preferred the HW DR. However, I have learned that different things have different appeals on different nights. Both are solid.

I also tried a Bone Snapper Rye. I believe that it is only available in Indiana. LDI juice aged 24 months. Tasted more mature that I would have imagined. I liked it. But, I am not sure whether I will buy a bottle or not. The price was $28.99 and there are other products that I prefer more in that price range or lower. The proof was 108. I tasted it neat and it was good but I think it would be a great mixer.

I bought a High West Double Rye. I realize that it is probably not the best liked of their products but I had an opportunity to sample before buying and thought it would be a good addition to my rye bottles. The price seemed right, $32.99.

The bottle I currently have open isn't sipable, it's gulpable. Just a terribly smooth Rye.

The bottle I currently have open isn't sipable, it's gulpable. Just a terribly smooth Rye.

I like it and look forward to sharing it with a few friends who like ryes. It will be a nice addition to our rye tasting in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I will probably focus on a few rye pours tomorrow. I am really starting to like ryes and even enjoy adding a little rye whiskey to bourbon pours to spice them up.

A RITTBIB and a baby Zaz. Was going to pick up a Jeff10 but the price has increased to $39.99 and don't think the value is there compared to what I did buy.

A RITTBIB and a baby Zaz. Was going to pick up a Jeff10 but the price has increased to $39.99 and don't think the value is there compared to what I did buy.

I don't know . . . I have all 3 of the ones you mentioned, and the Jeff10 is quickly becoming my favorite. Price in my area is still 35.99.

I guess it depends on the normal price. In the Indy area, Jeff10 usually runs between $29.99 and $30.99. RittBIB is in the low $20s and Baby Saz between $30 and $36, if you can find it. I have a Jeff10 NCF (Canadian) and I prefer it over Baby Saz.

Man, you are right! Wow! I have read mix reviews, especially in comparison to Rendevous but opted for it because the price was right. Today was my first time sitting down to a decent pour and I love it! Bought some Jeff10 earlier in the week. They are both great!

Man, you are right! Wow! I have read mix reviews, especially in comparison to Rendevous but opted for it because the price was right. Today was my first time sitting down to a decent pour and I love it! Bought some Jeff10 earlier in the week. They are both great!

My tastes have been changing over the last year or two, and I am really coming around to enjoying rye. I love the Jeff 10, as the spicy rye character is there without being overpowering. Ritt BIB is good, though very bourbony as others have said, and I have a few bunkered since it was under $20. I recently got my first bottle of Baby Saz, and it actually disappointed me. SA Old Scout Rye is so peppery that some days it's not enjoyable. I love HW Campfire, so I'm anxious to try the Double Rye and Rendezvous.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!