What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's just nothing better than scoring a great bottle of rye. Well, other than drinking it!

Ain't it the truth. I can't wait for my three little piggies to get here.

B have you tried the Lot 40 before?

No sir, I have not.

I will put in some notes in a day or two once home.

B

1 for you 2 for me... sounds good.

I grabbed a lone a DSP-354 Ritt100 sitting on a shelf full of new DSP-1's. I'll probably buy every 354 I see from now on as I'm not a fan of the new edition.

Ive not had the new stuff, but the 354 I found kinda unremarkable. Not bad by any means, but I think I'm not much of a fan of really high ryes, though I definitely understood the 'bourbony' references regarding Ritt

funny, cause I do like me some OGD 114

I like Ritt BIB. All I have had and have on hand is 354. However, I would say 9 times out of ten I end up blending it with OGD 114 or a bourbon BIB, to rye it up some.

Ive not had the new stuff, but the 354 I found kinda unremarkable. Not bad by any means, but I think I'm not much of a fan of really high ryes, though I definitely understood the 'bourbony' references regarding Ritt

funny, cause I do like me some OGD 114

4i - from reading your posts I think it has more to do without being a high enough proof to suit your taste, but that's just an un-educated guess

Took the plunge on 13th Colony Southern Rye today when I saw a single barrel at a local store. Was definitely darker and richer looking than the regular off the shelf bottle. It is a bit of a curiosity. This bottle said the mashbill was 95% rye. That of course suggests MGPI as a source. But the barrel did not appear to be from MGPI as best I could tell. Then again the bottle says "produced and bottled" but not "distilled" by 13th Colony. The website also says the mashbill is 96% rye.

post-8493-14489820047814_thumb.jpg

Makes me wonder if they were shipping MGPI rye before they finally had their own product ready to go (presuming they are in fact distilling).

Reportedly they will be releasing a 4yo bourbon this month as well. Source to be determined...

post-8493-14489820017568_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820047569_thumb.jpg

Another chatty web site chock full of pictures, information about local happenings, recipes, how to become a Friend of the Distillery, happy chit chat and no evidence that they are actually distilling anything.

Why would a micro want to duplicate the commercial rye formula used by MGP that was designed to be a flavoring agent in blends? The low barley requires the use of enzymes and wasn't intended for straight drinking whisky in the first place.

They're using sourced product and pretending it's their own. Show me the still.

They have been making gin and vodka as well as a Corn Whiskey that has been pretty well received since about 2009. So it could be their product.

Don't know if you are on Facebook but their page shows the still.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/13th-Colony-Distilleries-LLC/209830939043566?id=209830939043566&sk=photos_stream

Here is a picture:

post-8493-14489820048056_thumb.jpg

How much they could make with that small still is another story. It is pretty available in Georgia but I don't know where else it is distributed.

I emailed them to see if they will tell me what the source is.

I don't know about the rye but their Facebook page indicates that they barreled their first four barrels of bourbon in June. They state that it is the first bourbon ever legally made in Georgia.

Hidden

Note the word "produced" on the back label....rather than the word "distilled"

I picked up a Dickel rye to stave off the impending artic cold front.

Opened my bottle of Dickel rye last night. Wish that cold front would get here, it's 73 right now.

Opened my bottle of Dickel rye last night. Wish that cold front would get here, it's 73 right now.

Be careful what you wish for! By Monday we will probably have highs in the 40's to accompany this lovely constant drizzle...

I would take 73 any time over that.

Be careful what you wish for! By Monday we will probably have highs in the 40's to accompany this lovely constant drizzle...

I would take 73 any time over that.

And I'd be smoking stogies on the veranda every night!

Bunch of whiners!!! It's 7 here currently.

Opened a Willett 4yr rye to help take the chill off.

B

Bunch of whiners!!! It's 7 here currently.

Opened a Willett 4yr rye to help take the chill off.

B

-13 here in Fargo right now, -31 windchill... Will be tailgating in the morning hope it breaks into single digits below zero! Dickel Rye to start but needed some W12 to finish off the night.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!