What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ran into a small, older liquor store over lunch and up on the shelf was a bottle of Thomas H Handy (at MSRP as well!). I was honestly so surprised to see it (this is a small place, but it's certainly not in an out-of-the-way location) that I just looked at it for a while. It seemed lonesome so I found it a home. First (and probably only as I don't see the purpose in searching madly) BTAC of the year.

-- Ravensfire

Just grabbed a bottle of Jefferson's 10yr. It is very good, highly recommended @ $30. Next up is the High West double rye.

I found these two while I was visiting the in-laws for Christmas. Very happy to bring them home and at a good price.

post-5593-14489820277497_thumb.jpg

I found these two while I was visiting the in-laws for Christmas. Very happy to bring them home and at a good price.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17402[/ATTACH]

Nice score man - love those HW21's!

Just grabbed a bottle of Jefferson's 10yr. It is very good, highly recommended @ $30. Next up is the High West double rye.

If you like the Jeff 10, you will also like the HW DR. Both are awesome rye whiskeys. Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17402[/ATTACH]

Really nice score! Would love to try some of that. If you can please post your tasting comments when you have the time.

Had a lil extra money in my pocket leftover from Christmas. Saw a bottle of AE Rye, it came home with me. I don't always have an extra $70 to blow and I don't always see it on the shelf. Perfect Storm.

I was at my local store looking for something interesting while grabbing my Wife some soda water (Coors Light). I happened to notice that Jefferson's 10 Rye wasn't in stock there for the first time since I can remember. I started to freak. Even though I usually only drink Rye during the warmer months, Jefferson's Rye is one of my standard pours.

On a whim, I dug behind the Jefferson's bourbon offerings (second to bottom, deep shelves) and saw that someone had hidden a bottle of the Rye way in back. Bought and bunkered for Spring.

I was at my local store looking for something interesting while grabbing my Wife some soda water (Coors Light). I happened to notice that Jefferson's 10 Rye wasn't in stock there for the first time since I can remember. I started to freak. Even though I usually only drink Rye during the warmer months, Jefferson's Rye is one of my standard pours.

On a whim, I dug behind the Jefferson's bourbon offerings (second to bottom, deep shelves) and saw that someone had hidden a bottle of the Rye way in back. Bought and bunkered for Spring.

interesting. I tend to think of rye, in as much as I attach seasonal variance to any spirit I suppose, as a Fall/Winter drink (although I drink it year around!) rather than a summertime choice.

I didn't buy bottles of these tonight... but did get a pour at a bar:

VWFRR 13 yr

T H Handy rye

Almost got the Saz 18 yr. but it ran out right before I ordered.

Really liked the high proof Handy. Easy to drink despite the strength. The VWFRR was really nice, only got an ounce, but don't think I'll go crazy looking high and low, with Willett, Handy, HW Rendezvous and Saz out there.

I really would have liked to compare the Handy and Saz 18.

Found the Jeffersons 21yr Rye and picked it up. They also had the 25yr Rye, but I want to taste the 21 first before another splurge.

Thanks to a keen eyed SB'er, WT101 Rye new style. Hope to open later this week and generate some tasting notes. $38 for the 1L...figured i'd give it a chance.

It looks like the Baby Saz stock has been replenished in this area. Picked up some more, though this is quickly becoming my most bunkered bottle due to inconsistent availability.

Still on the lookout for any of the new WTR101 in the DC area. Hopefully all of it won't go to the bars around here.

Found the Jeffersons 21yr Rye and picked it up. They also had the 25yr Rye, but I want to taste the 21 first before another splurge.

Would like to read your tasting comments. Love rye but been avoiding these because of the $$$$ and my distrust of them as a NDP.

Gotta say the Jeff was fine the last time I had it.

Acquired the Jeff 25 at long last thanks to the great generosity of a local SBer. Had a taste with a few friends last night and we all agreed it is easily drinkable, quite tasty and a cut above the 21. Of course so is the price!

Not really a good comparison though as that was after a beer tasting of 10+ beers so I hope to settle in with it in a SBS with the 21 for a better impression sometime this week.

How rye this old can be so lacking in wood is a curiosity and makes me wonder if this isn't Canadian sourced rye of some sort like the early Jeff 10. Of course we may never know for sure.

Acquired the Jeff 25 at long last thanks to the great generosity of a local SBer. Had a taste with a few friends last night and we all agreed it is easily drinkable, quite tasty and a cut above the 21. Of course so is the price!

Not really a good comparison though as that was after a beer tasting of 10+ beers so I hope to settle in with it in a SBS with the 21 for a better impression sometime this week.

How rye this old can be so lacking in wood is a curiosity and makes me wonder if this isn't Canadian sourced rye of some sort like the early Jeff 10. Of course we may never know for sure.

:)

It always surprises me how not woody this is for 25 year as well.

Thanks for the notes and eagerly await the SBS with 21 yr rye.

Would like to read your tasting comments. Love rye but been avoiding these because of the $$$$ and my distrust of them as a NDP.

Gotta say the Jeff was fine the last time I had it.

Totally hear you. The price gives me pause as well. I have the 21yr bourbon and like it a lot but wouldn't pay the price again. But......I'm willing to try something once, so I gave in and bought the rye. I haven't cracked it yet, but will report when I do.

I'm also very interested in hearing the SBS comparison with the 25 since it's also available to me.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!