What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went on a limb with a Redemption Rye Barrel Proof (batch 3, 122 proof, 6 yrs old). Glad I did - solid pour!

Notes would be awesome, I almost bought a bottle from that batch, but balked. I enjoy the standard Redemption rye, how does the BP compare?

*edit - just saw your notes in the other thread, I think I'm going to have to pick up a bottle.

Edited by Wryguy

Notes would be awesome, I almost bought a bottle from that batch, but balked. I enjoy the standard Redemption rye, how does the BP compare?

*edit - just saw your notes in the other thread, I think I'm going to have to pick up a bottle.

I don't think I've had the standard version. Seeing Michael's post about batch 1 sucking eggs, and batch 2 being OK - I'm guessing they figured it out (third times the charm?) Not mind-blowing, but I'd give batch 3 a shot!

Jefferson's 25 year old Rye. Probably over priced but all the limited releases were so scarce in the fall I figure I am under budget for the year.

Jefferson's 25 year old Rye. Probably over priced but all the limited releases were so scarce in the fall I figure I am under budget for the year.

Wil be curious to hear what you think. I had a chance to try the 21 and 25 SBS. I enjoyed them both but they certainly didn't seem to taste as old as advertised compared to similar aged rye and bourbon I have tried.

Given the concerns of lack of transparancy that plagues Jefferson's it does leave one to wonder as this blogger noted. I found them to be pretty decent if seemingly younger than the stated age so in that regard I disagree with him. Of course the cost is pretty excessive which makes you hope for something better than "pretty decent" I suppose! Maybe he was looking for the heavy oaky flavor some higher ryes tend to have and didn't like them for that reason. Who knows!

Wil be curious to hear what you think. I had a chance to try the 21 and 25 SBS. I enjoyed them both but they certainly didn't seem to taste as old as advertised compared to similar aged rye and bourbon I have tried.

Given the concerns of lack of transparancy that plagues Jefferson's it does leave one to wonder as this blogger noted. I found them to be pretty decent if seemingly younger than the stated age so in that regard I disagree with him. Of course the cost is pretty excessive which makes you hope for something better than "pretty decent" I suppose! Maybe he was looking for the heavy oaky flavor some higher ryes tend to have and didn't like them for that reason. Who knows!

In a few hours I'll put it up against a Vintage 23 and Rittenhouse 25. Wish I had some old Hirsh Rye to compare as well.

post-8428-14489820533751_thumb.jpg

In a few hours I'll put it up against a Vintage 23 and Rittenhouse 25. Wish I had some old Hirsh Rye to compare as well.

first impressions. Cork on JP25 and RH25 both very dark unlike V23 with no color. JP and RH very similar nose , though JP is a bit more medicine. Vintage totally different with very strong grains and very little wood. JP and RH both had tiny bubbles at the initial pour and very long legs. Vintage missed on both.

jP25 86 proof not a lot of burn but great tingle on the middle of tongue and slight numbing of the tip. Very smooth, dry and my junior pallet picks up, spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, a bit of orange peal and dried peach. The legs just keep it hanging around and feels smooth and rich on my teeth. A new sensation with a whiskey for me.

Vintage 23 at 84 proof is a very short finish. Overwhelmed by grain taste. No numbness and no tingle. The grainy nose just takes over and is not an enjoyable Rye to me. I don't know if they have some wheat in there too.

RH 25 at 100 proof. The very tip of my tongue is on fire with cinnamon greatness. Not as smooth as JP and more wood is coming thru but not in a bad way. Long finish with similar orange peel, peaches and a cashew nuttiness I really like.

i have to say TH and Saz 18 are a real bargain in comparison to the JP25. But on two different ends of the Rye spectrum for me. If the JP25 didn't have such a medicine nose it would be a very good high end pour for me. I think I'll let it breath and try one cube too.

Thanks Warren for the detailed notes. Very interesting esp on the RH25. Nice SBS comparison. I also do like the J25r too.

The medicinal aspect of J25r should likely go away as it opened up from the new bottle.

THH is a bargain but not in the same league. Saz18 is super limited.

Picked up a Ritt BiB DSP 354 yesterday. Not sure of everyone else's experience but it seems there's still a ton of the 354's around here

Found a cache of semi-dusty WT 101 Rye, picked up one for $25.50, left 5 more on the shelf. If I'm back in that neighborhood anytime in the near future, I'll grab another, seems like only certain items move in that store and others just sit.

Found a cache of semi-dusty WT 101 Rye, picked up one for $25.50, left 5 more on the shelf. If I'm back in that neighborhood anytime in the near future, I'll grab another, seems like only certain items move in that store and others just sit.
My advice is get it while you can,the new stuff is a lot higher priced and nowhere near the quality of the previous release.

JP and RH both had tiny bubbles at the initial pour and very long legs. Vintage missed on both.

Does this statement convey meaningful information? I mean, do tiny bubbles and very long legs suggest something good about a whiskey? I'm just curious - I may be missing something here.

Does this statement convey meaningful information? I mean, do tiny bubbles and very long legs suggest something good about a whiskey? I'm just curious - I may be missing something here.

IMHO the legs have everything to do with the long finish. I'm guessing if the whiskey clings to the glass it grips your tongue and inside of your mouth as well. You can savor many great flavors even after you swallow. The bubbles I'm not sure of. I don't know if it is a proof thing or a result of filtering. For me it was just an observation.

Picked up a 1L bottle of the new WTR101. Really hope it's as good as the old one.

It's a lot more expensive.

After not having seen any on the shelves for months, I picked up 3 bottles of Russell's Reserve 6 year today. Two for me and one for my son.

After not having seen any on the shelves for months, I picked up 3 bottles of Russell's Reserve 6 year today. Two for me and one for my son.

Found r(1) for $20. I've considered trying it so many times and passed over the years due to price that I couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found baby Saz today. Had a pour. And now I know I don't enjoy rye whiskey. Too dry and fruity. Meh. I'll stick to bourbon and let guests feast on that. I might try to get my wife to try it, though. She hates whiskey and bourbon but if she's going to like anything that might be it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!