Stagg Pricing (Was: What makes a top shelf...)

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

And I'm hoping Stagg is $39, not $49 and at $75 I'd pass it up (and try to get a sip of Bobby's

Luckily I've laid in quite a few sips of Last years Stagg. At 75 dollars a pop I would be good for 1 maybe 2 at the most. If it does turn out that we are looking at a 20% increase of the price of Stagg, My purchases of it will fall off significantly. I'll get out at 3 or 4 Bottles. horseshit.gif

Even at the $40 mark I was only looking at a case this year. If it should go up to $50 (or higher), I'd probably only try and get a bottle... There are a few more bottles being produced this year and I dont see a need for the markup, even though it is still a very small batch and unique product.

I'm not too happy about it if it indeed goes up in price. When I see it on the shelf, and if it is higher, I'll get a warm feeling about last year! To tell you the truth the 6 extra proof points while nice aren't too exciting either. I know it is possible for it to be better, I am so enamored with last years , It is hard for me to imagine that anything can be better. lol.gif

Keep in mind that the $49.99 estimate was from the distillery and they may not have been thinking of Liquor Barn type outlets. We'll all know in a few weeks.

Hey, guys I'm willing to make a special trip if I can get away so when you see it at Liquor Barn let me know. I'll be in Covington Oct. 17 anyway and can go to Party Source then.

And since this is under "top shelf" yes, clearly to me Stagg is my top shelf!!

-- Greg

I applaud the increase in price of Stagg. confused.gif It is worth it. bowdown.gif They are going to sell out... they should increase the price. That will also make it more likely for ALL of us to be able to get some! toast.gif

I just hope it doesn't bring in the snobs who don't appreciate bourbon but have to have the best (or most expensive or most limited) bourbon in their cabinet.

Too bad our laws don't allow the distilleries to reward the faithful, either by giving them early buying opportunities at the Festival or a chance to order early before being available to the general public.

Speaking of the faithful, is anyone else out there finding it awfully expensive to keep up with all the new bottlings? (That question is for everyone except Bobby "Buy By the Case" Cox. grin.gif) I am NOT complaining. This is a good problem to have! But, I have reached the point where I don't automaticaly go out and buy each one. I didn't go for the Park Avenue Van Winkle (primarily because I already have the Woodside bottling.) I have so far stayed out of the 2003 OFBB market, but 2003 GTS is still an automatic buy!

I have so far stayed out of the 2003 OFBB market

You may really want to reconsider this one Chuck. I know keeping up with all these new bottligns can be difficult, but this year's release is good enough and different enough from last year's that you will want to try it.

Too bad our laws don't allow the distilleries to reward the faithful, either by giving them early buying opportunities at the Festival or a chance to order early before being available to the general public.

I think some of the distilleries could even care less. Look at the OFBB situation this year. Here is is they could have released both batches at the same time right before the fesitval. This would have made it ALOT easier for certain folks like ourselves to get both bottlings at once. But instead they had someone, probably with their head where the sun don't shine, come up with this brainiac idea of staggering the release because releasing them both may hurt sales etc... I say that's moronic. Even with just this one release, many places still saw very quick sellouts of the Spring 2003 release. The product still would have sold, and if anything people may have liked picking them both up at once in order to compare the difference's they chose for bottling the 2 products.

Look at the OFBB situation this year. Here is is they could have released both batches at the same time right before the fesitval. This would have made it ALOT easier for certain folks like ourselves to get both bottlings at once. But instead they had someone, probably with their head where the sun don't shine, come up with this brainiac idea of staggering the release because releasing them both may hurt sales etc... I say that's moronic. Even with just this one release, many places still saw very quick sellouts of the Spring 2003 release. The product still would have sold, and if anything people may have liked picking them both up at once in order to compare the difference's they chose for bottling the 2 products.

I wonder if they decided to stagger the releases to avoid some fluff-filled whiskeymag-du-jour from hurting sales of one or the other!? Imagine this scenario: one of these magazines does a comparison tasting of the two bottlings--but prefers the Spring to the Fall. The uneducated masses believe the fluff and the Fall collects dust.

Another benefit for them is the 'waiting for the 2nd shoe to drop' phenomenon. Even we enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting the other release.

I don't like it either, but from a marketing standpoint it's not entirely moronic.

but from a marketing standpoint it's not entirely moronic.

Unfortunately I don't much care for marketing's standpoint. I'm the consumer, the one who pays, and the one who drinks it so to me it was moronic lol.gif. Not to mention now I'll probably have to pay considerably more for shipping or more for the final product here in NY than I would have in KY. And that will affect how many bottles I buy in the end, so from this one consumer (which means nothing to them I know) they are selling less bottles.

Buf. Trace IS trying to reward the faithful by letting us know about Stagg and when it will hit the market.

And I certainly don't buy all new bottlings. I do intend to buy this year's Stagg but there are a host I've tasted somewhere but passed on buying a bottle or more.

Mark,

I think you may be wrong on the timing. Yes, it would be convenient for those in town for the festival, but "flooding" the market with OFBB of two types would have been marketing suicide. The market for this product is very small. Mostly US. I was in Liquor Barn in Lexington, asking about the product, and they were so non-chalante (sp?) about it. A month later, they still have 3 of 6 cases sitting on the floor. I don't see them ordering as much of the next batch. It took Stagg being named Whiskey of the Year to catch the attention of non-bourbon drinkers and have them cross over. Let's face it. Premium bourbon drinkers are a minority. (One I'm proud to be a part of)

soapbox.gif

And the Liquor Barn I was at the lady was very specific to say how they sold out of their allotment within the first 3 days... I still think whether they did it all at once or they way they are doing it now it wouldnt have made a big difference. Yes we are the minority, but most of us still would have bought whatever amounts of both we wanted to. If you say places still have the spring sitting around then they will have the fall sitting aroundas well I guess. Staggering them by 3 months I dont really see as helping to sell the product by much. Either way, it is of no matter to me now I guess. I only wanted to see them released together for my own ease of purchasing and to save a few bucks... Their marketing methods are of no matter to me. I just want to drink their product and be able to get it at a reaonable price, not the price I will now have to pay.

dedhorse.giflol.gif

Mark, I am getting the impression you don't care for marketing lol.giflol.gif

Maybe you would prefer a grocery store bottling with just a white label that only says, "Bourbon"? lol.gifgrin.giflol.gif

Nah, it's not that I dont like marketing... It's that I dont like it when they screw me into having to illegally ship bourbon through the mail and pay more per bottle then I would have if I had just bought it at the festival. Call me selfish, but when it comes to my money I dont care about their sales figure for a certain month or something like that. If it was known from the beginning it would be sold this way, it wouldn't have sparked me like this, but when they chagned it so late it got me fired up. I had everything planned, someone holding bottles etc... I hate my plans getting messed up haha. Ok, I'll digress for now haha.

I have to ask this now. I'm thinking of Billy Joel's , " It's Still Rock & Roll to me". The line about you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine.

When and what was the Bourbon you bought or didn't buy based on someone's review? I plan to get at least one of OFBBFALL03 and nothing the Regans, Hansell, or Paul Pacult could write will change that. After a taste I may be out, but that is solely up to me. I can understand where Mark is coming from, but I really don't think Brown-Forman is being callous toward any of us. Let's face it , They are probably more concerned with keeping the people happy who buy 7 million cases of Jack each year than the few that buy Birthday. I still can't help to think that they would be most proud of The Birthday than any thing else. grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.