BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had my first bottle about 6 months ago. I liked it...every once in awhile...and planned on getting another. Bought the second bottle about 3 months ago, but didn't open it for a few weeks. Finally opened it a couple of weeks ago...and the second bottle was astoundingly good. It was from Barrel 1521, 5/4/04, different than the first bottle. Thought it was too late to run back for more, so just thought I'd be blessed by the one I had. Went back yesterday and found they had 2 more bottles from that barrel. Nice!

• 1 month later...
Had my first bottle about 6 months ago. I liked it...every once in awhile...and planned on getting another. Bought the second bottle about 3 months ago, but didn't open it for a few weeks. Finally opened it a couple of weeks ago...and the second bottle was astoundingly good. It was from Barrel 1521, 5/4/04, different than the first bottle. Thought it was too late to run back for more, so just thought I'd be blessed by the one I had. Went back yesterday and found they had 2 more bottles from that barrel. Nice!

I too picked up a bottle this past weekend on the recommendation of a buddy from 5/2004 barrel 1534. and i agree --very nice and $22. a real bargain of tasty value there. rich and spicy.

I liked it...every once in awhile!

That's my experience. Sometime I like it a lot. Sometimes I don't. And that's not different bottles but the same bottle on different days. Just for comparison, ETL is always good.

• 3 weeks later...

opened my bottle last night. damn good stuff! and for the price!!!! wow! still cant believe this is a sub $30 bottle of juice.

opened my bottle last night. damn good stuff! and for the price!!!! wow! still cant believe this is a sub $30 bottle of juice.

One of my faves, as well; especially for relatively reasonable cheese. If you like 'em with some oak influence (I do), it's one of the best for the bux.

• 1 year later...

This has been one of my favorites since about 2010 when I first saw it. I bought it for the nostalgia as my best buddy from the Air Force and I used to buy the McKenna back when it came in the stoneware jugs.  I was very happy with it then and I still buy it now and then.

• 1 month later...

I've got to agree with the previous few posters. As I gravitate away from limited releases, extortionately-priced special bottles, and the like, McKenna BiB has become my go-to bourbon. It has an intensity and depth of flavor that belies its purchase price. Plus, it mixes well, holds its "oomph" over ice, and is approachable enough to drink neat. My only issue with McKenna BiB, since moving to Austin, TX a year ago, is that it's a little dark and woody to drink when it's 100 degrees in my apartment. I need to find a nice, light bourbon for summer swilling in TX.

5 minutes ago, MrAtomic said:

I've got to agree with the previous few posters. As I gravitate away from limited releases, extortionately-priced special bottles, and the like, McKenna BiB has become my go-to bourbon. It has an intensity and depth of flavor that belies its purchase price. Plus, it mixes well, holds its "oomph" over ice, and is approachable enough to drink neat. My only issue with McKenna BiB, since moving to Austin, TX a year ago, is that it's a little dark and woody to drink when it's 100 degrees in my apartment. I need to find a nice, light bourbon for summer swilling in TX.

As a former Austinite myself, may I suggest just turning on your air conditioning?  ;)

2 minutes ago, dcbt said:

As a former Austinite myself, may I suggest just turning on your air conditioning?  ;)

My what?

No - we've got air conditioning, but some days it struggles to keep up with the oppressive humidity and heat. Plus, I grew up in NY, lived in CA, and am generally a wuss about heat.

Summer in ATX that taught me the beauty of light beers and of bourbon served over piles of ice. Previously, I'd never really understood the appeal of a Coors or a few ounces of bourbon and club soda served in a pint glass full of ice. But now, I GET IT! 

If you find yourself in ATX, let me know!

6 minutes ago, MrAtomic said:

My what?

No - we've got air conditioning, but some days it struggles to keep up with the oppressive humidity and heat. Plus, I grew up in NY, lived in CA, and am generally a wuss about heat.

Summer in ATX that taught me the beauty of light beers and of bourbon served over piles of ice. Previously, I'd never really understood the appeal of a Coors or a few ounces of bourbon and club soda served in a pint glass full of ice. But now, I GET IT! 

If you find yourself in ATX, let me know!

Other heat-beaters I often turn to: Rum Punch; Deep Eddy sweet tea vodka w/ water or lemonade (or both); Dark-and-Stormies; Moscow Mules. 

Hang in there, I always say summer in Texas lasts from May 1 thru Sept 30.  We're almost done!  In the meantime, power through Shiner and bourbon (though not mixed) with the a/c on.

7 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Other heat-beaters I often turn to: Rum Punch; Deep Eddy sweet tea vodka w/ water or lemonade (or both); Dark-and-Stormies; Moscow Mules. 

Hang in there, I always say summer in Texas lasts from May 1 thru Sept 30.  We're almost done!  In the meantime, power through Shiner and bourbon (though not mixed) with the a/c on.

You are a wise man, sir.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've definitely got to try the Deep Eddy Sweet Tea Vodka/Lemonade combination. It sounds killer! Deep Eddy vodka has been a really pleasant surprise. I thought it'd be nasty and artificial-tasting (I dig the red grapefruit), but I was way off.

Unfortunately, while spending a summer in Austin 20 years ago, I overdid it with the Shiner Bock. Tasting it now triggers nausea, horrible grunge rock flashbacks, and images of the mulleted, never-clothed dude that lived in my clothing-optional co-op (Austin used to be a lot funkier). So I've been passing the summer with lots of Banquet Coors and Tejas Claro beer. 

Now, I'm off to look up some Rum Punch recipes in my old Standard Cocktail Guide by Crosby Gaige. He hasn't let me down yet.

6 hours ago, MrAtomic said:

Unfortunately, while spending a summer in Austin 20 years ago, I overdid it with the Shiner Bock. Tasting it now triggers nausea, horrible grunge rock flashbacks, and images of the mulleted, never-clothed dude that lived in my clothing-optional co-op (Austin used to be a lot funkier). ...

Others would call this a good memory. 

19 hours ago, MrAtomic said:

Unfortunately, while spending a summer in Austin 20 years ago, I overdid it with the Shiner Bock. Tasting it now triggers nausea, horrible grunge rock flashbacks, and images of the mulleted, never-clothed dude that lived in my clothing-optional co-op (Austin used to be a lot funkier). So I've been passing the summer with lots of Banquet Coors and Tejas Claro beer. 

Was this the 21st Street co-op off the Drag?  I went to a little party there fall of freshman year, so 1995 I guess it was.  I wonder if we almost crossed paths.  No nudity that night, though.  That I remember anyway.

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Thanks everyone for turning me on to trying this one out. I've overlooked it as just another blah bourbon not worth buying or trying. Read this thread, bought some and I really love it. Im giving serious consideration to getting a case of this and ER10 to be my everyday drinker, I just need to find a place I can hide it from the gf so I dont get yelled at.

54 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Thanks everyone for turning me on to trying this one out. I've overlooked it as just another blah bourbon not worth buying or trying. Read this thread, bought some and I really love it. Im giving serious consideration to getting a case of this and ER10 to be my everyday drinker, I just need to find a place I can hide it from the gf so I dont get yelled at.

Although I didn't post on this thread re: my love for HMcK 10YR BIB SiB, I have posted elsewhere on SB about it - When I need/want to buy one, I buy one and taste it immediately (well, not IN the store, but . . .).  While I've never hit a bad one, every once in awhile, I hit a honey.  When I do, I note the barrel number on the bottle and RUSH to the store I bought it in and any other nearby stores that I know carry it and buy all the bottles with that number.  I stop at six or so.  Don't want to be TOO big a pig.:rolleyes:  Plus, as you pointed out, it's hard to hide a whole case at once.B)

• 5 months later...
Although I didn't post on this thread re: my love for HMcK 10YR BIB SiB, I have posted elsewhere on SB about it - When I need/want to buy one, I buy one and taste it immediately (well, not IN the store, but . . .).  While I've never hit a bad one, every once in awhile, I hit a honey.  When I do, I note the barrel number on the bottle and RUSH to the store I bought it in and any other nearby stores that I know carry it and buy all the bottles with that number.  I stop at six or so.  Don't want to be TOO big a pig.:rolleyes:  Plus, as you pointed out, it's hard to hide a whole case at once.B)

I want to be Harry when I grow up.

3 hours ago, Three quarks said:

I broke my buying hiatus when I saw one of these while traveling. Have finished about 1/2, and I am not a fan for the price. To me, its very similar to HH6 at more than 2X the price. Would rather have EC. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Hhhmm. Nice observation.  We cannot get HH6 BIB here at all, and I never thought about the similarities.  I AGREE - some HMcK 10s I have had do, upon reflection, have flavor notes similar to HH6 BIB.  I opened a honey bottle after reading your post and confirmed this so I'm guessing the ones that push my buttons fit the HH6a BIB profile..  EC "12 yr" to me has a bit too much wood, usually, but every once in awhile . . .  Different palates would account for this, but I appreciate your comparison.  For one thing, I dug out one of my bunkered HMcK 10yrBIBs.:D

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

Last time I bought HH6 in KY, I think it was $13. I thought about buying a case, since it is such a good value. The HMcK 10 is really good, but for the price. Of course, it is SB and considerably older, so its probably worth it.

Well, lemme say this about that --

IF I lived someplace where I could regularly get VOB BIB and HH6yr BIB for less than $20 per 750, likely I'd be dead by now.:P  Not really, but you get the idea.;)  Well, maybe really.:o  I hope not.  But, I sure don't want to tempt fate by moving.B)  HMcK 10 yr goes for around $30 here;  that's one reason I buy one bottle when I intend on replenishing and then taste it before buying more.  I only load up (well, no more than six) when I hit one I REALLY like and then I spread out consumption for at least a year.  IOW, I like your approach and reasoning.

Well, lemme say this about that --

IF I lived someplace where I could regularly get VOB BIB and HH6yr BIB for less than $20 per 750, likely I'd be dead by now.[emoji14]  Not really, but you get the idea.[emoji6]  Well, maybe really.[emoji33]  I hope not.  But, I sure don't want to tempt fate by moving.B)  HMcK 10 yr goes for around $30 here;  that's one reason I buy one bottle when I intend on replenishing and then taste it before buying more.  I only load up (well, no more than six) when I hit one I REALLY like and then I spread out consumption for at least a year.  IOW, I like your approach and reasoning.
It's over $50 out the door here. Granted everything is pricey here, but I think it's is comparatively expensive because Rare Breed is cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Been going back and forth between HH6 and the HMcK10. A higher price for the HMcK10 seems justified, at least with the one I currently have. It definitely has more depth than the HH6. 

Oh, I think McKenna is worth every bit of $30, and then some.  Of course, HH BIB6 is highway robbery at its $12.  Both are just typical great values of very good whiskies, which is a formula Heaven Hill excels at.  

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Oh, I think McKenna is worth every bit of $30, and then some.  Of course, HH BIB6 is highway robbery at its $12.  Both are just typical great values of very good whiskies, which is a formula Heaven Hill excels at.  

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that McKenna BIB is worth the uncharge over HH6BIB and then some. It's one of the great values in whiskey that is still out there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.