What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)

3/4 oz. Campari

3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)

2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.

To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)

3/4 oz. Campari

3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)

2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.

I know bitter is a prevailing theme in the cocktail world but I always have to maintain a light hand on the Compari to suit my taste, which admittedly leans towards the sweet side.

I would probably try to get my bitterness from the vermouth with Carpano or maybe Punt e Mes and go with less Compari. Or push it to the sweet side by subbing Aperol which admittedly creates a different taste profile but one I seem to like better than Compari.

The answer to this thread, however intermittent, will almost always be a Russian. Last night it was Tito's, Kahlua, BT Bourbon Cream, and a splash of Chambord. I always eyeball pour my Russians over ice, but it's probably a pretty normal 2/1/.5/.5 mix, or something close to it.

Are you not a Campari fan? That would be a shame. I'm enamored with the stuff.

I have swapped sweet vermouth with Punt e Mes in a Negroni, but never in one of the whiskey-based versions. The PeM Negroni wins over the standard, with its fortified bitterness. I'm only barely familiar with Aperol, but I think I'd find a Negroni-family drink difficult to enjoy if I were expecting Campari.

At M&S Grill last night, hd a couple of interesting cocktails on the menu. One had bourbon, ginger liqueur, apple butter syrup and sage; great fall cocktail but a little on the sweet side for me. The other was an old fashioned riff with some peach bitters and the interesting addition of Pimm's cup. It was also good, but with a finish that was a little odd. Both worth trying.

Had a Corpse Reviver #2:

1 part Gin (Bluecoat)

1 part Lillet Blanc

1 part Orange Liqueur (usually calls for Cointreau, but I subbed Gran Marnier because that's all I had)

1 part lime juice

Shake on ice and pour into absinthe (Vieux Carre) rinsed glass. Garnish with lemon peel.

And a Martinez:

2 parts Gin (Tanqueray Malacca)

1 part Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi Torino)

1 scant Spoonful Maraschino Liquor

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir over ice, twist of orange

Been getting into gin cocktails a lot lately. They just have an aromatic and herbal quality that you don't find in whiskey, beer, or most food. I still finished the night off with a 7 year WSR, but gin drinks are great pre-dinner and after dinner drinks

• 2 weeks later...

my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess

1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

1/4 oz Cherry Heeling

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg

d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg

my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess

1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

1/4 oz Cherry Heeling

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg

d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg

ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass

ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass

I think there is a cocktail by that name in the PDT book but not sure if it is the same ingredients. But I have what is needed so will have to give this a try!

I've got too many open bottles of vermouth, and I found a great deal on 1L bottles of Campari and Cynar nearby, so lots of Negronis and Boulevardiers the last couple weeks. The downside: I think Cynar makes my pee smell wierd...

Created this cocktail tonight as an aperetif prior to some pad thai i cooked for dinner, have to say that it was pretty damn good! The nose was incredibly complex and fruity, i couldnt believe it was 100proof.

I didnt measure while mixing but the approximate measures were: (2person serve)

2.5oz wt rye101

2oz chartreuse green

1oz dubonet

1tsp simple sugar syrup

0.5 tsp agnostura orange bitters

Shaken hard with ice and served in a glencairn, should look like quava juice!

I've been making this one for the wife lately...

2 oz bourbon (i've been using VOB BIB)

0.5 oz orange liqueur

0.5 oz fresh lemon juice

2 oz apple cider

dash of orange and angostura bitters

shake in cocktail shaker and serve in martini glass. I like to garnish with a flaming orange peel for the dramatic effect.

Making this today for the football game later, sounds tasty.

Four Roses Cider

1 parts Apple Cider

1 part Four Roses Yellow Label Bourbon

5-7 Cinnamon Sticks

Put all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 2.5 hours before guest arrive, this will make your home smell wonderful! Serve in a mug with a cinnamon stick! Enjoy!

On a recommendation from a fellow SBer had my first bloody mary with JB Wiser rye. Never had one before except with gin or vodka and although I was hesitant I must say it's excellent.

On a recommendation from a fellow SBer had my first bloody mary with JB Wiser rye. Never had one before except with gin or vodka and although I was hesitant I must say it's excellent.

I never thought of making a bloody mary with whiskey. Actually, I've never made a bloody mary, but now I might have to try it (a whiskey mary? or use scotch and make a Mary Queen of Scots).

Broke out of 4 days of tee totaling with a Harvest Moon made with WT rye 101. Inspired by a post on reddit

Towards the end of a couple of bottles, so thought I would try to make a cocktail to kill the last few inches. I like Manhattans and Boulevardiers, but then realized the only vermouth I had was an unopened Carpano Antica which I'm saving for Thanksgiving. So threw together the following:

2 oz. Col. Lee NAS

1/2 oz. Compari

1/2 oz. Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel 2011

3 dashes Fee Bros. orange bitters

- stir w/ ice and strain; lemon twist

The Zin was opened on the counter from last night's dinner, so threw it in as a substitute for the vermouth. Not half bad! The Zin is very young, big bold and brambly. Nice and jammy; big fruit. While it doesn't have some of the herbaceous character of vermouth, it's a nice counterpoint to the bitterness of the Compari and bitters.

Towards the end of a couple of bottles, so thought I would try to make a cocktail to kill the last few inches. I like Manhattans and Boulevardiers, but then realized the only vermouth I had was an unopened Carpano Antica which I'm saving for Thanksgiving. So threw together the following:

2 oz. Col. Lee NAS

1/2 oz. Compari

1/2 oz. Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel 2011

3 dashes Fee Bros. orange bitters

- stir w/ ice and strain; lemon twist

The Zin was opened on the counter from last night's dinner, so threw it in as a substitute for the vermouth. Not half bad! The Zin is very young, big bold and brambly. Nice and jammy; big fruit. While it doesn't have some of the herbaceous character of vermouth, it's a nice counterpoint to the bitterness of the Compari and bitters.

Well I've already commited to open my first bottle of HWCampfire tonght I think I'll try this first with some 4RYL.

I think FRYL would be a great one to use ... the Compari and bitters have a huge influence on the nose, but the Zin was a nice surprise in how it balanced out that bitterness. I hate to say it, but it is at least as good as the vermouth...

Not really a cocktail but more of a potent herbal tea recipe i modified for my cough by adding hooch, which I consider the best medicine on the market, anyway as most of you guys a heading into winter I thought I would share this recipe, its a strong mix and really knocks any stubborn coughs about, and doesnt taste too bad either!

Steep a bunch of fresh thyme in a cup of boiling water for 5 mins, then add:

1tbsp of Manuka Honey

1 tsp of turmeric

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

1 tsp of grated ginger

1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice

1 oz of brandy

Strain into mug

Sipping on a Lion's Tail, made with the dregs of a bottle of BMH, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and a little All-Spice Dram, stirred in a tumbler with a big cube and finished with a dash of Angostura. Autumnal and appropriate.

Made a new cocktail last night with the following:

3 oz OGD 114

2-3 oz fresh apple cider

.5 oz maple syrup.

Few dashes of angostura

Shaken with ice and poured over a cube with a lemon peel and small sprinkle of cinnamon. Very tasty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.