What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, Yellow is impatiently tapping its foot out at the end of the line, waiting to step up to the bar. Have you tried it with Green? Is a 3:1 Green:simple a decent approximation?

Never tried to approximate Yellow using the Green since I have access to both but that is a thought I suppose! Will see if I can remember to experiment some time this week.

Killed off a bottle of Lillet tonight on a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Hadn't had one in a while.

3/4 oz. gin (BIG Gin)

3/4 oz. Cointreau (HW Triple Sec)

3/4 oz. Lillet

3/4 oz. lemon juice

Dash absinthe (Pacifique)

Glad I used BIG Gin instead of Tanqueray Malacca. This is a good cocktail for something a bit more punchy. Very good balance. It would be nice to try this with some Cocchi to introduce bitterness and provide more depth.

Yes, this is a drink where a "big gin" as you describe it is generally needed! I think you will find Cocchi to be a nice substitution. Bonal also makes an interesting variation. I also think this is the kind of drink that benefits from a quality triple sec and not sure if Hiram Walker is up to the task. I find every ingredient plays an important role in maintaining the balance and tend to go with Cointreau or Combier here if I can.

I have heard Pacifique is a great American made absinthe and would love to try it at some point although the absinthe is the one element I don't sweat to much as long as it is a decent brand.

I have been on an Old Fashioned kick recently. My wife and I have enjoyed Old Fitz BIB in them the last week or so. I do a hint of simple syrup, 4 shakes Angustora, two shakes of Fees orange bitters, and two shakes of Fees cherry bitters. Topped with just a splash of water or none at all on the rocks and well stirred they are quite enjoyable. Another buddy loved the same thing as above with a splash of ginger ale instead of water at the end. It was pretty good if you have someone at a party with a little sweeter palate.

Hidden

Last night I tried to replicate a manhattan I had recently at a restaurant. I infused some Rittenhouse BiB rye with Ceylon and thyme. Added Carpano Antica vermouth, bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters, and finished with homemade bourbon cocktail cherries. it was definitely very close to the original--very good!

Last night I tried to replicate a manhattan I had recently at a restaurant. I infused some Rittenhouse BiB rye with Ceylon and thyme. Added Carpano Antica vermouth, bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters, and finished with homemade bourbon cocktail cherries. it was definitely very close to the original--very good!

Whoa Baby, what a week. Readying myself for a weekend of well earned R&R with an Old Crotchety Fashioned. :yum:

Mixed up a Sazerac for watching football. I didn't have any lemons, so I just dabbed a bit of Fee Bros. lemon bitters around the rim of the glass. Worked pretty well, I might prefer them this way!

Great way to finish off a bottle of Rittenhouse rye. Trying my hand at a Manhattan, got a little full but it's a Monday!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

post-9182-14489820394068_thumb.jpg

Great way to finish off a bottle of Rittenhouse rye. Trying my hand at a Manhattan, got a little full but it's a Monday!

Looks a little frothy. Try it stirred instead of shaken next time.

Looks a little frothy. Try it stirred instead of shaken next time.

Interesting. Please help a cocktail doofus, here...:D It seems you're suggesting that "frothy" (shaken) is not a good thing? How come?

Interesting. Please help a cocktail doofus, here...:D It seems you're suggesting that "frothy" (shaken) is not a good thing? How come?

The general rule for cocktails is that recipes that call for fruit juice/citrus should be shaken. Anything that only contains spirits should be stirred. It's easier to control dilution and temperature when stirring, and you will end up with a clear drink, without froth or bubbles.

Never tried to approximate Yellow using the Green since I have access to both but that is a thought I suppose! Will see if I can remember to experiment some time this week.

Yes, this is a drink where a "big gin" as you describe it is generally needed! I think you will find Cocchi to be a nice substitution. Bonal also makes an interesting variation. I also think this is the kind of drink that benefits from a quality triple sec and not sure if Hiram Walker is up to the task. I find every ingredient plays an important role in maintaining the balance and tend to go with Cointreau or Combier here if I can.

I have heard Pacifique is a great American made absinthe and would love to try it at some point although the absinthe is the one element I don't sweat to much as long as it is a decent brand.

BIG gin is actually the name of it, produced by Captive Spirits. Naturally, the profile follows the name (well, vice-versa). Usually any more than a quarter part orange liqueur and I'd switch to a better one. HW did appear to hold up fine, so I'll have to try it with Cointreau. I could see how that little added sharpness would benefit the drink.

Pacifique is my first and only absinthe. It has received favorable reviews and my limited experience would not disagree that it is a tasty beverage. It is currently being employed in a Mauresque, which is equal parts absinthe and orgeat, topped with water. It's a nice variant to the standard absinthe drip.

The general rule for cocktails is that recipes that call for fruit juice/citrus should be shaken. Anything that only contains spirits should be stirred. It's easier to control dilution and temperature when stirring, and you will end up with a clear drink, without froth or bubbles.

Thanks, Trey. My cocktail skills are clumsy and amateurish. I honestly didn't realize that there are rules or preferences on how to mix a cocktail, other than you should stay away from the shaker when making one utilizing Tonic Water, Club Soda, or Pop. Personally, my rule has been to use one when I figure Mrssmokinjoe is close to doing the dishes, and I can get out of having to clean it.

I do like the tiny bubbles in my drinks that a severe slashing in the shaker imparts. Seems more savory...special... Maybe, I have latent "air-time" preferences. :lol:

Perhaps the term "rule of thumb" is more accurate. No one except a cocktail nerd would call you out on it.

I just thought of a top 5 "mistakes" that people usually make when mixing cocktails:

1. Not using fresh citrus

2. Shaking drinks that should be stirred

3. Using crappy ice or the wrong type of ice

4. Using stale vermouth

5. Not chilling/diluting enough

4. Using stale vermouth

...or shitty vermouth like Cinzano, Noilly Prat, etc.

Best to use a premium vermouth like Vya, Dolin, Carpano, etc., which are made using quality wine and botanicals, unlike the two above....you will see a significant increase in the quality of your cocktails and your drinking pleasure.

Noilly Prat makes damn good vermouth for damn good Manhattans in my humble opinion. Of course, living in the wilds of Minnesota might make one appreciate having anything to drink at all. 3 oz. EWBIB or OGDBIB or HHBIB, 3/4 oz. Noilly Prat sweet vermouth, and four shakes of Angustora bitters puts a little lead in my pencil. :cool:

I'd take Noilly over Martini & Rossi or Cinzano...

...but Dolin, Cocchi di Torino, or Carpano Antica are just better. Vya and Contratto also good, but I haven't mixed with them much.

...but Dolin, Cocchi di Torino, or Carpano Antica are just better. Vya and Contratto also good, but I haven't mixed with them much.

They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts. :lol:

They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts. :lol:

I feel your pain. But, look at the bright side. Your geographic location does provide you an abundant selection of ice...:D

I feel your pain. But, look at the bright side. Your geographic location does provide you an abundant selection of ice...:D

1 out of 5 ain't bad (According to Trey's five cocktail essentials) I am going to start to play up Northern MN's pure ice. Some of the oak for bourbon comes from MN too! It is kind of funny though. Comparing my cocktail knowledge to the coasts and Chicago, I am some kind of backwoods sasquatch. In my area I am some kind of cocktail snob if I pour a mid-shelf bourbon with some decent M & R vermouth or Noilly Pratt and have a few types of bitters on hand! The nice thing is my palate really resides in the mid to low shelf. Hell, I even enjoyed an Old Crow Reserve Manhattan the other night and an Old Fashioned last eve.

In my area I am some kind of cocktail snob if I pour a mid-shelf bourbon with some decent M & R vermouth or Noilly Pratt and have a few types of bitters on hand!

Bay Area native here :)

My winter cocktails are probably more summer appropriate; I spent December in SE Asia where tasting Singapore Slings became my microhobby. I also invented (?) a cocktail with mangosteen juice, gin, and bitter lemon flavored soda water.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.