What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had this today down at the Two James Distillery-

[h=3]Disco in the D[/h]Medjool date and Raisin infused Grass Widow Bourbon, Agave Simple, Lemon, House Bitters

'Nuther Old Crotchety Fashioned. Combo of the last pours from an OGD 114, WTRB, and 4R1. Appropriately stirred. I'm shakin' the shite out of the Angostura again, though. If I keep this up, I'm gonna need another bottle of it pretty soon. Does it come in a Family Size?

'Nuther Old Crotchety Fashioned. Combo of the last pours from an OGD 114, WTRB, and 4R1. Appropriately stirred. I'm shakin' the shite out of the Angostura again, though. If I keep this up, I'm gonna need another bottle of it pretty soon. Does it come in a Family Size?

:lol:

I have a 10oz (300ml) bottle of Angostura that's lasted me for a couple of years. What size is yours?

Summer sippin a sort of sidecar for a warm night of seafood BBQin

1oz agnostura 1919

1.5oz delord xo

1oz cointreau

Juice of a lime

Shaken/served in a champagne flute,

Bufala Negra with a quick appetizer before dinner. Dinner should be good, pistachio crusted beef tenderloin. Got a nice Columbia, WA "Bordeaux" blend to go with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by petrel800

Winding down the weekend with an Old Crotchety Fashioned, this time with Old Forester Signature. I'm having the same problem as Joe though, I just killed my bottle of Angostura. These puny 4oz bottles just aren't going to cut it.

They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts. :lol:

The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/reintroducing-noilly-prat-extra-dry-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.

The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/reintroducing-noilly-prat-extra-dry-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.

I try to get 375's when I can unless I am reasonably sure I am going to go through a 750 quickly and find that a vacuvin along with refrigeration really can help extend freshness. But when in doubt vermouth with a splash of soda or better yet bitter lemon tonic and a twist helps keep any excess to a minimum!

I seem to come back to the Sazerac now, almost always. Occasionally a Manhattan.

Gary

A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard. :)

Gary

Edited by Gillman

A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard. :)

Gary

Wasn't that martini still more gin than vodka? Sounds almost a bit Vesper-ish if you were to sub Cochi for the vermouth.

• 2 weeks later...

A Bloody Mary with Mellow Corn.

Zing Zang BM mix

Mellow Corn

Coupla shakes of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire

Coupla shakes Bitter Truth Celery Bitters

A few sprinkles Old Bay Seasoning

And, a squeeze of lime

The Mellow Corn is perfect in this cocktail. :yum:

Edited by smokinjoe
Wrong Bitters

Made an 'Up to Date' using specifications from the PDT cocktail book. This 'old' label WT rye is just too good in cocktails (and in general) - should have stocked up even more than I have.

post-6511-14489820477729_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Made some Old Fashioneds for my beautiful wife and I. Rocks, a little simple syrup, several dashes Fees Orange bitters and Angostura bitters, a cherry, a healthy pour of Bulleit bourbon, and a splash of water for the wife's. They go down a little too easy :)

I've become rather fond of the Woodford maple Manhattan at the local Saltgrass steakhouse.

Ok so.. 1) this is a summer cocktail and 2) I haven't tried it yet. But, the pic/description is so damn funny I had to post it.

(attribution to Queen City Cocktails blog)

(hint click on the pic)

post-9650-14489820601186_thumb.jpg

Blackberry Bourbon Fizz

4-5 fresh blackberries

1 1/2 ounces bourbon

3/4 ounce ginger liqueur

club soda

fresh basil

Muddle the blackberries at the bottom of a glass.

Fill the glass with ice and add the spirits.

Top with club soda and stir well.

Garnish with a fresh piece of basil.

post-9650-14489820601186_thumb.jpg

Old Fashioned Rough cute cane sugar cube soaked with Angostura bitters, muddled a small orange slice. Swapped off between SB 60/40 Weller blend and WT 101 rye both were tastey.

Ted

Was in the mood for something tangy and sweet last night, so I whipped up a Eulogy, the cousin of the Last Word. I haven't found much use for this bottle of Batavia Arrack otherwise.

Been making the Kirkwood quite a bit lately. It is a variation on the Red Hook created by a great local bartender and named after an Atlanta neighborhood. Really good.

- 1.5 oz. Rittenhouse Rye (or other high proof rye)- .5 oz. Punt e Mes

- .5 oz. Cynar

- .5 oz St. Germain

- 2 dashes grapefruit bitters

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Stir 30 seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with grapefruit peel.

Heaven and Seven with some Heaven Hill Gold last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out on the town last night at tthe Pinewood where it was half price whiskey night. Featured where the good old FRYL and Riverboat Rye, a young green MGPI rye.

For half price who could resist!

post-8493-14489820605233_thumb.jpg

So I started with a Quadrophenia (somebody clearly likes to use musical and literary references for their drink names...) and then it devolved into getting the bartender to create something just for me using 2 different base spirits. That led to an interesting concoction of the Riverboat Rye, The Scarlet Ibis rum, Averna, CioCiara, Bittermans Tiki bitters and a float of Smith & Cross rum. Surprisingly good and except for the bitters, which i can find, something I can make at home. Added on top of the Irish whiskey tasting earlier in the day and after that things got a bit hazy...

:shocked:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.