Bourbon in Kentucky: A History of Distilleries in Kentucky

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have this book? I am thinking of buying it for casual, personal research. A couple questions:

1. What do you think of it compared to Sam Cecil's book and www.pre-pro.com?
  2. Does it have any information on Old Joe Distillery (RD #45), the abandoned one down the road from FR in Lawrenceburg?

I have this book and use it occasionally as a reference. It seems to be very comprehensive...but I'm not familiar with Sam Cecil's book or the pre-pro website.

There are a few paragraphs on Old Joe Distillery, and a small picture.

I have this book and use it occasionally as a reference. It seems to be very comprehensive...but I'm not familiar with Sam Cecil's book or the pre-pro website.

There are a few paragraphs on Old Joe Distillery, and a small picture.

Thanks, Tucker.

While on the subject of books, I'll mention to everyone I use alibris to find used books. It aggregates books listings from independent book sellers. I use it as an alternative to Amazon. I know Amazon has independent book stores, too, for used books. I use both alibris and Amazon.

That's Chet Zoeller's book. Chet and his son, Trey, are the folks behind Jefferson's bourbon and rye. I prefer Sam Cecil's book, but I use Zoeller's too. It has some things Cecil's does not. Both are based primarily on Whit Coyte's research. One problem with both books is that they didn't or weren't able to confirm or flesh out a lot of Coyte's raw data. My big gripe with Zoeller is that he seems to make little distinction between the actual names of distilleries and their DBA names, many of which are the names of other distilleries that merely gave the first distillery some contract work now and then. With both books, you need a third source to be really sure about something. There's something to be said for putting down everything you have accumulated, even the stuff that might be pretty weak, factually, but then you have to give the reader a guide to that, which neither or these authors really do. Cecil is at his best when writing about things he experienced, which was a lot. Zoeller's is the better-looking book. Sometimes between the two of them you can figure out what the real story is. If you're looking at either and they seem to be contradicting themselves, it's not your imagination. There's a lot of that. Still, I'd rather have them than not. Very valuable and commendable.

Pre-pro is a whole 'nuther thing. No overlap, as far as I can tell, with Cecil and Zoeller. Pro-pro doesn't seem to be using any Coyte. It's also national. Most of their stuff seems to come from directories and other contemporary sources, which are pretty reliable, and company advertising, which is not.

Edited by cowdery

Got the book today. Seems to clear up some of the misconceptions I had reading Cecil's book. (Plus thre are old threads in SB.com where Chuck C. provided information.)

BTW, the last Old Joe Distillery standing is RD #35. I had the wrong number in my original post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.