Sort of an Old Fashioned

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just ran across this today and road tested one tonight:

3 good shakes Angostura

enough Leopold Orange Liquor to swish around the bottom

3 oz. Pikesville Supreme Rye

stirred and added a big round sphere ice cube

excellent drink! Thanks for the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

No orange liquor in the house so I improvised the idea with orange bitters and a muddled(very thin cut) orange slice.

2.5 oz High West Double Rye

8 dashes orange bitters

1/4tsp agave syrup

muddled orange slice

stirred in a rocks glass and added a 2" cube.

• 3 weeks later...

I am enjoying an old fashioned made with EC12 SmB(2.5-3 oz) and Angostura bitters (4 dashes). This, so far, is my favorite bourbon in an old fashioned. I use a home made simple syrup and muddle an orange peal slice in it. I also put the bitters and bourbon in a shaker to chill first and then pour it over new ice in a low ball.

I HIGHLY recommend the EC12 and Angostura for an old fashioned.

I am not a huge fan of EC12 SmB served neat. I find it too sweet, but I dig it in an old fashioned.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I had a great Old Fashioned in a pub. Normally the muddled sugar or simple syrup makes this cocktail too sweet for my taste. But this one was made without either of those. Instead, they used Number 14 Bourbon which has a splash of real maple syrup in it. The maple complimented the bourbon and bitters wonderfully. And along with the orange and cherry it added just enough sweetness to balance off what is a relatively dry version of an Old Fashioned. I don't think I'd drink this Number 14 on its own, as I like my bourbon straight. But it certainly made for a delicious Old Fashioned.

• 11 months later...

Preach! (Although substituting maple syrup for sugar/simple syrup does sound potentially extremely tasty.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.