2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I apologize if this question is embedded within this thread as I did not see it brought up in the previous few pages. I have seen the fact sheet and others reference the 2012 WLW as 130 proof. My 2 bottles from the 2012 release are 123.4 proof. I have never heard of multiple batches for this release. Any insight or comparative thoughts between the 2 proofs would be appreciated. Also, I wonder if the age is the same as provided in the fact sheet for the 130 proof and the 123.4 proof bottling?

The online fact sheet lists 123.4 proof. Where are you seeing 130 proof for the 2012 WlW?

I think I figured it out - Some bloggers (more than 3) used the "proof off still" rather than "bottle proof" when listing/reviewing.

I think I figured it out - Some bloggers (more than 3) used the "proof off still" rather than "bottle proof" when listing/reviewing.

Oh those bloggers. Take a mild interest in something and a bit of Wordpress knowledge and you too can be an expert. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Call me an optimist, but now that we are 1/2 way through summer....Are there any estimates on the Fall '13 release?

That's because bigger numbers are better. Just ask BT, that's why the proofs on Stagg are all so high these days.

Call me an optimist, but now that we are 1/2 way through summer....Are there any estimates on the Fall '13 release?

I asked that while at the BT distillery on Saturday. Was told "October." I said "Late October?" And they said "No, October."

So...

[h=2]George T. Stagg 2013 - 128.2-proof; William Larue Weller 2013 - 136.2-proof [/h] Randomly spotted this on the Sazerac website.

See the Product Specs section for George T. Stagg: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...FID=231&NBid=1

And for William Larue Weller: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...FID=195&NBid=1

Eagle Rare 17 still 90-proof: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...&FID=64&NBid=1

No info on Thomas H. Handy or Sazerac 18.

George T. Stagg 2013 - 128.2-proof; William Larue Weller 2013 - 136.2-proof

Randomly spotted this on the Sazerac website.

See the Product Specs section for George T. Stagg: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...FID=231&NBid=1

And for William Larue Weller: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...FID=195&NBid=1

Eagle Rare 17 still 90-proof: http://www.sazerac.com/BrandPortfoli...&FID=64&NBid=1

No info on Thomas H. Handy or Sazerac 18.

How can 2013 poppy Stagg have nearly 10% less proof than before? Looking back through fact sheets Geo T hasn't dropped below 140 since at least 2006. And when announcing Stagg Jr they said it would have no effect on Geo T barrels. They do note this release as being 15yrs... possible that 2 fewer years of aging this go-round produces that much less proof? Chemists, begin! Edited by mark fleetwood

How can 2013 poppy Stagg have nearly 10% less proof than before? Looking back through fact sheets Geo T hasn't dropped below 140 since at least 2006. And when announcing Stagg Jr they said it would have no effect on Geo T barrels. They do note this release as being 15yrs... possible that 2 fewer years of aging this go-round produces that much less proof? Chemists, begin!

They selected lower proof barrels for this release. That's all there is to it. I for one am excited for this lower proof release.

A little wary of that WLW though, sure didn't like the high proof 2009 version.

How can 2013 poppy Stagg have nearly 10% less proof than before? Looking back through fact sheets Geo T hasn't dropped below 140 since at least 2006. And when announcing Stagg Jr they said it would have no effect on Geo T barrels. They do note this release as being 15yrs... possible that 2 fewer years of aging this go-round produces that much less proof? Chemists, begin!

The lower age concerns me more than the lower proof. What happened to whatever they put up 17 years ago that they now have to use up 15yo stock?

Seems the whiskey shortage is forcing younger whiskey into premium bottles. That said, I'm still optimistic. It's the flavor that matters over age or proof. I'm hoping they can pull it off.

Remember when they say the age of a bourbon they have to go with the youngest whiskey in the mix. Maybe they had some 15 year barrels that had hit their prime and didn't want them to start to start going south on them.

Edited by p_elliott

I didn't do a ton of research but there have been 15 year old GTS releases before. 2007 is one example. Besides, last year's 17 year old release wasn't nearly as beloved as some have been.

I didn't do a ton of research but there have been 15 year old GTS releases before. 2007 is one example. Besides, last year's 17 year old release wasn't nearly as beloved as some have been.

I guess that is what I get for only being familiar with the past few years and not doing my research first! Several past years have been in the 15yo range.

2005 15y4m 141.2pf

2006 16y3m 140.6pf

2007 15y6m 144.7pf

2008 15y6m 141.8pf

2009 16y7m 141.4pf

2010 17y7m 143.0pf

2011 18y5m 142.6pf

2012 16y9m 142.8pf

2013 15y?m 128.2pf

I guess that is what I get for only being familiar with the past few years and not doing my research first! Several past years have been in the 15yo range.

2005 15y4m 141.2pf

2006 16y3m 140.6pf

2007 15y6m 144.7pf

2008 15y6m 141.8pf

2009 16y7m 141.4pf

2010 17y7m 143.0pf

2011 18y5m 142.6pf

2012 16y9m 142.8pf

2013 15y?m 128.2pf

now this make it even more confusing (to an Indiana publik sckool product like me). In the past, 15yr old editions still produced proof north of 140. As Paul theorizes, probably just a larger share of 15yr old barrels than before but in the interest of keeping a conspiracy going and wasting more time here at work I'm going to email BT.

Perhaps no conspiracy whatsoever - they bottled to the taste profile, they found the barrels that met it, and maybe they just came off lower floors this year. I wouldn't over think it.

now this make it even more confusing (to an Indiana publik sckool product like me). In the past, 15yr old editions still produced proof north of 140. As Paul theorizes, probably just a larger share of 15yr old barrels than before but in the interest of keeping a conspiracy going and wasting more time here at work I'm going to email BT.

I bame global warming!

From Kris Comstock at BT: "We were surprised by the proof too, but think because many of the barrels were aged on the first and second floors, the proof didn’t esculate as it sometimes does. Nevertheless, we think the taste is as good as ever."

I asked them if they had plans for 18-19yr old GrandDad Stagg at 145-150 proof but, alas, no reply.

2004 had a lower proof and people love it.

I'm one of those people! :D. The 129 proof 2004 is fabulous.

Since more than a few folks have been less than impressed with some of the latter years of GTS (which seem to be very high in the proof category), maybe this year's will be just what the doctor ordered.

I haven't had the opportunity/pleasure to do SBS tastings of multiple years of GTS, but I don't ever recall meeting one I didn't like :)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.