2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Welp, local ABC tells me the BTAC allocations have come and gone and I didn't get any. He said there's hope for a Lot B but doubtful as well. Tough luck on the special releases this year.

• 1 month later...

Had a chance to get either GTS WLW or Handy, and I decided to go with the WLW. What would you guys have done? I've never had any of the 3. I already had a bottle of ER17.

Had a chance to get either GTS WLW or Handy, and I decided to go with the WLW. What would you guys have done? I've never had any of the 3. I already had a bottle of ER17.

I would have picked the WLW. Enjoy!

WLW is always my first choice, but everyone's tastes are different. I like them all, but in past years, my priorities are usually, in order: WLW, Saz 18, GTS, ER17, THH. THH would be higher, and I like it more than ER17, but I can usually get a bottle any time of the year. This year, that changed, and I didn't get anything. Much higher demand in my area.

I think the Saz18 is the pick of the litter. WLW second, Stagg 3rd, followed by Handy and ER17.

Even before today's inflated pricing, I thought only the first two were worth the $$, though they are all very, very good.

Just not $70+ good.

I just took a trip thru that collection. Started with GTS, HMMM what can I say about GTS, Darker in color, You sure can smell the rickhouse in this one, slight wood, musty taste, dances off the tongue,definite heat there but tolerable, excellent pour.

From there I went to visit WLW, now this guy in the past has bit me, so I learned to smack him down a bit, and then.. once he’s calmed down, he begins to show his true colors: He’s the darkest of the group, Wow this is so smooth, very creamy I want to say, as in just like a splash of refreshing water on the front but then picks up on the way down, I like this stuff..

Then from there I went over and said hello to ER17, When in all actuality is a 19 yr old, as stated on the spec sheet that came with it. Why not state that, I don’t understand that one. Anyway at 90 proof , this one is a no brainer, light in color for this age of bourbon, (goes to show you what filtering does to a bourbon) compared to the GTS, this stuff is smooth, not a lot of character to it as with the GTS, just a nice long minty finish though. For a 19 y.o. bourbon I must say no wood at all, which I find quite remarkable as opposed to say the GTS,PVW20,or EC18, that filtering for sure takes a lot out of it.

Well Seeing as I was right next door to Saz 18, I had to stop by and say hey. Now this guy I was skeptical at first, Not being used to full fledged ryes, but my palette has always leaned more to the higher rye mash bills, but to take it all in at once?But the more I pour this one the better friend he becomes. Fruity notes ,along with spice at the same time , very intriguing, I have to say this pour is outstanding!

Finally, I meet up with MR. Handy, He’s a bit younger, Not as nosey as his older brother SAZ18,more peaty to me, now he carries a bit of a punch ,and must also be tamed down a bit…so let’s do that.. ok sitting for a few minutes and already is breaking out a bit more,a bit more spicey, floral, smells like wild flower patch, nice.Goes in smooth and tends to hold that all the way thru. It’s got some character, but out of all of them probably the least, although not fair comparing a rye to the others.

All in all I have to say it was quite a trip, and I recommend you do the same.

Here is how I would list them from 1-5

Which I must say is quite a challenge because they are all good, do they match up with all their hype? …Maybe

1. I must go with WLW, it bit me at first but after I took control, WE have become good friends

2. Saz18 , this is a surprise for me, but every time we get together it is remarkable( I know going from a wheater to a rye… pretty contradictable.)

3. GTS, What can you say… a solid contender

4. ER17 now even though he is down here it’s only by a little, this is one good sippin’ bourbon, if you can get it retail, yes, hyped up price.. no.

5. Last but not least Mr. Handy, Just does not do as much to me as the others, I could definitely live without him, especially considering retail is as much as the others.

Now of course to each is own, and these are just my opinions. It still would be interesting to see how you guys rate these as well.Even after I rated these I still wonder about the first 2 they could easily be switched around, but I’ll leave ‘em alone for now, and see what the next visit brings.

Edited by dSculptor

I have all but the Saz 18 from this year. So far I've had the ER17 and the THH. I loved the THH and would buy it again without thinking twice. ER17 is nice but not sure yet if I'd purchase again if I have the chance.

My dad found a GTS for me in Florida this week while on vacation. Paid $100...I know I know...but having never even seen a bottle in Ohio I couldn't pass it up. Worse then paying $100 is waiting for him to return with the bottle!

I feel like Florida has more of these finds than anywhere else, or so it seems from the reports on this board.

I feel like Florida has more of these finds than anywhere else, or so it seems from the reports on this board.

That is what led me to ask my Dad to keep his eyes open for certain items.

That is what led me to ask my Dad to keep his eyes open for certain items.

Man.. I actually had a destination wedding in Florida, which included a separate recon trip, so in two different trips we drove all over, from Key West through all of the Keys through Miami up to Ft Lauderdale... And of course at the time I wasn't into bourbon too much. I still kick myself at the bounty I could have found. So much in life is timing!

I've pretty much shied away from most of the BTAC in the last few years. The exception has been the WLW. I usually try and get at least one WLW, on matter what. Change up this year. After reading and hearing some reviews of the 2013 WLW, I decided to pass this year. On the flip side of that, another member here highly recommended the 2013 ER17. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I trust this member. I ended up getting a 2013 ER 17, courtesy of said member. I'm glad I did. It was wonderful. If anyone is interested, see my notes for VBT #500. Needless to say, and IMHO, the ER 17 might have been the sleeper of the 2013 BTAC. I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle.

Cheers! Joe

I really couldn't agree more with you on this one,I usually put the THH and ER at the back of the pack and this year they really wowed me as well.The WLW just couldn't be tamed before it went flat as I found in the past with the 09 and the GTS was good but not up to its usual caliber either.The ER I was caught off guard as you seem to be and I have to admit was rather taken aback by it.

My dad found a GTS for me in Florida this week while on vacation. Paid $100...I know I know...but having never even seen a bottle in Ohio I couldn't pass it up. Worse then paying $100 is waiting for him to return with the bottle!

Hey $100 is a respectable price for that GTS, especially seeing that it was just sitting on the shelf! According to the spec sheet I got with mine that's a 15yr 11 month old bourbon,fair price for that age of bourbon, you wont regret it! As far as the rest of them ,if you read my previous long story on them, this is the first yr. that I have had a chance to buy them, I never even saw them around here they were all gone before they even hit the shelf, this yr, I could have had 5 of them! Never tasted them before either, and the WLW absolutely needs to be tamed, but when it is ..delicous! OH and the SAz18 If you find one of them get it!

...the ER 17 might have been the sleeper of the 2013 BTAC. I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle.
I've not tried this year, but thoroughly enjoyed previous years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.