Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Dolph Lundgren
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All bottles of the WP111 are sill on the shelves at the two stores I frequent. The $110.00 price hasn't tempted anyone so I doubt this will move very fast @ $149.

I was hoping that this release would be (at least) $20 cheaper and in the $130 range.

Similar to PHC, you are really paying only $70 for the whiskey. The other $79 goes to their legal fund.

Yesterday, I took a friend on a hunting expedition for his birthday, and we had a pretty fun time, had a couple good finds, even went in a basement. Last stop of the day was a nice wine store with some great whiskies, and the guy working came over and poured us some LSB 13. My first taste, to be honest I was expecting something akin to WP, but man, I came away impressed. It was beautiful, waxy green apples and licorice all over the palate, and a lot of character. Others who compare to the VWFRR because of the similar age are kinda comparing apples and oranges, and for a 100% enzymatic rye, it's the best I've had. In chatting with him, he said it would be priced at $105, which I think I'd pay for a bottle of this stuff. And he said that by the time I come in to pick up the bottle he should have a sample of the BossHog. I had great reservations about the LSB13 and they were unfounded, so I'm going to reserve judgement on WPBH until I get a pour. Luckily this place will probably price the bottle as fairly as they can, so if it's a surprise like the LSB13, it will be coming home with me. Also, on a funny note, as we were discussing our love of ryes while my buddy bought most every bottle he can't get in the western part of the state, the guy working let slip that he has been searching high and low for BMH18. He'll be getting a nice surprise in sample bottle form the next time I go in. So, I guess my point, in long-winded, anedoctal form, is that good turns are returned, and you only know how you feel about a whiskey once you've tasted it. Boss Hog I look forward to wrestling your greasy ass to the ground, and figuring out if I like you for my damn self.

Edited by Wryguy

Some nice first notes there. And knowing your fine taste in ryes, I think I'm a bit more swayed to pull the trigger if and when I see it.

Probably should ask the local whiskey monger about this, probably a long shot, but worth asking.

B

We sell a lot of WhistlePig 10yo at the restaurant I work at and quite a bit of the WP 111/11yo as well, so I am sure we will be getting some of this in. I like the 10 the 11 and the LSB, so the Boss Hog certainly interests me.

I will say I have spent more on a bottle and since I have a soft spot in my wallet for WP I would jump at a bottle, except we don't get it here. So if anyone is willing to help a brother out.....:grin:

Boss Hog I look forward to wrestling your greasy ass to the ground, and figuring out if I like you for my damn self.

I'm seriously lmao over here. Excellent points, and thanks for sharing your experience with LSB.

I'm curious about the provenance of the WP bottlings. The first releases were clearly listed and labeled as being products of Canada. The more recent releases, including the subject Boss Hog, are listed as originating in Vermont, and being "domestic".

Also what is the significance (if any) of the recent labeling as being "Fininshed in bourbon barrels"?

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=13198001000309

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13198001000309

Edited by jburlowski

Must say, those are some cool graphics. As for the 'Bourbon barrel finished' line that reminds me of the 'charcoal filtered' comment that appeared on some Bourbon labels in the past.

Good catch John. I'd infer, American-distilled (LDI/MGPI?), bottled in Vermont, and given a final treatment in a bourbon cask.

Gary

You like the taste or the fact that it is is well priced from a producer/marketer's point of view?;)

A rising price tide lifts all boats ...

It is what it is. I like Whistlepig, though I have never paid for a bottle.

Over the weekend I bought a bottle of Lock Stock and Barrel Rye and to me it tastes exactly like Whistlepig, except that LS&B was a lot smoother.

Julio's in Westboro, MA is hosting a Boss Hog event tomorrow night for those in the greater Boston Area. I'm planning on attending so I can taste it.

Julio's in Westboro, MA is hosting a Boss Hog event tomorrow night for those in the greater Boston Area. I'm planning on attending so I can taste it.

How was the Boss Hog WhiskyRI? I'm still intending to check it out for myself, but I'd be curious to know your impressions.

How was the Boss Hog WhiskyRI? I'm still intending to check it out for myself, but I'd be curious to know your impressions.

Yeah I know - wrong week to be out of town....:smiley_acbt:

Wow that's some pig! Won't be dining on that swine.

Did you seriously just drop a Charlotte's Web reference in there? ;)

Good catch John. I'd infer, American-distilled (LDI/MGPI?), bottled in Vermont, and given a final treatment in a bourbon cask.

Gary

~whistles~ That's some expensive LDI juice.....then again so is that Presidential Harrison's.

What . . . a . . . crock.

Yes, it's true, integrity is the main thing so the sooner you learn to fake that the better.

Huh, I didn't realize Pickerell was so disingenuous. And I also didn't know that a whistlepig is a woodchuck. Kinda means the Boss Hog name and Winston Churchill looking pig on the label are as inaccurate as their Vermont origins.

Yes, whistle pig is a common nick name for groundhogs. One would think that would make a better story for a supposedly Vermont product.

OK that does it for me. I really enjoy WP but if they are going to lie about it's origins I'm done wtih them. No more purchases for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.