WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is great news! Well, sort of; hopefully consumers will see some of it too. I will get blasted for saying this, but I prefer the spicier WTR101 over the bourbony Ritt BIB.

I completely agree. I like both, but WT101Rye screams rye, in all it's gingery, wintergreen glory. Ritt is a softer, rounder Rye.

...I will get blasted for saying this, but I prefer the spicier WTR101 over the bourbony Ritt BIB.

Not from me!!! ;)

I prefer the WT for the exact same reason. Dang, you got good taste, LB! :D

WT should just give up on the 81 rye, and the Forgiven. Start a single barrel selection program for rye. :pope:

Nobody here needs to worry about me hoarding this if it makes the shelf. I can get punched in the throat much more cheaply elsewhere.

I really enjoyed the WT101R when it was previously available but with all the games and BS coming from them the last few months, I'm done with them. Same goes for WP.

Your bottles are safe from me, I'll stick with RITTBIB, baby Zaz, GDR, HW

Time was (quite a long time actually) our local choices were Beam Rye, Overholdt or WT 101 if you wanted something with the word rye on the label. Times have changed and WT may have overplayed their hand by leaving a vacant spot on the shelves too long to be filled by a bunch of new labels. Game on, as the kids say.

Excellent point Squire. A brand can't take anything for granted these days. Forgetting about all of the terrific ryes many of us have at home, Willett, Ritt BIB, Baby Saz, Jeff, etc., I see Bulleit amongst others at just about every bar I go to. WT 101 will surely reclaim some shelf space, but it may have lost some of its mojo in the meantime.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jeffrey r

I look at this the same way as Campari marketing. I think about it less as a return and more as WTR101 building upon the success achieved by WTR81. The new WTR101 is for those that want a premium rye delivering bolder flavor at a reasonable price increase from the original Wild Turkey Rye 81.

I look at this the same way as Campari marketing. I think about it less as a return and more as WTR101 building upon the success achieved by WTR81. The new WTR101 is for those that want a premium rye delivering bolder flavor at a reasonable price increase from the original Wild Turkey Rye 81.

That makes sense, provided a consumer's first affair with Wild Turkey rye occurred at 81 proof. And that it was a positive experience. For those who were brought up on the 101, the alternative argument stands. So that marketing would only be logical if they brought more consumers aboard than they kicked off.

Off-topic, what the hell is a KFJWI, jeffrey r?

I did a 4-way blind tasting this afternoon with Ritt BIB (DSP-1 and DSP-354), WTR101, and Jeff10.

post-7689-14489820001041_thumb.jpg

I found the color to be very similar, although both Ritt BIBs were lighter than the other two (and I thought the WTR101 was darker than the Jeff10, which surprised me). On the nose, the Jeff10 really shined - head/shoulders above the other 3, which wasn't a surprise. The DSP-354 also stood out as being the most "bourbony" nose of the bunch. The DSP-1 and WTR101 were fairly similar, although I thought the WTR101 was a bit sweeter and softer. I had guessed correctly which was which based on the nose and color (surprised myself!), although I was iffy on the DSP-1 and WTR101 (and thought they might be a coin-flip).

I did three rounds of tasting (only poured 1/2 ounce of each, so these were small sips). The Jeff10 was the clear winner, having more complexity and stronger flavors (again, no surprise). At first I liked the DSP-1 more than the WTR101 or DSP-354, both of which I thought were "softer" on the palate. In later rounds, I liked the WTR101 more and the 354 less (and at the end of the tastings, I changed my guesses and wound up mixing up the DSP-1 and WTR101). The 354 is definitely a bit sweeter than the others, and was my least favorite of the bunch.

The conclusion I came to was that I should buy more Jeff 10 before the price goes up :) Also, that I won't hurt myself trying to pick up any WTR101, as today I found it quite similar to DSP-1. Hadn't planned on bunkering DSP-354 before this, as I liked DSP-1 better most of the time. On any given Sunday (or day that ends in "day"), the WTR101 might edge out the DSP-1, but at a higher premium (and I expect the comeback of WTR101 won't come with a price decline), I won't be in a hurry to stock up.

This is great news! Well, sort of; hopefully consumers will see some of it too. I will get blasted for saying this, but I prefer the spicier WTR101 over the bourbony Ritt BIB.

No blasting here. I prefer WTR101 as well.

Great summary Gary! I especially found the comparison of WTR101 and Ritt DSP-1 interesting and encouraging.

I think one of the dilemmas we will face is future changes as rye continues its resurgence. I really like Jeff10 but my version is NCF (Canadian), 100% rye. It is spicy but sweet at the same time. I believe that it has already or will be changing soon. I like WTR101. It is like a spice bomb. It makes my lips and tongue tingle. I love it! I like Ritt BIB as well but find that I prefer to mix it with lesser expensive bourbons like OGD and HH 6 Year BIB to spice them up. Of course, as we know, it has already undergone change.

As you point out, prices continue to increase.

Great summary Gary! I especially found the comparison of WTR101 and Ritt DSP-1 interesting and encouraging.

I think one of the dilemmas we will face is future changes as rye continues its resurgence. I really like the Jeff10 but my version is NCF (Canadian), 100% rye. It is spicy but sweet at the same time. I believe that it has already or will be changing soon. I like WTR101. It is like a spice bomb. It makes my lips and tongue tingle. I love it! I like Ritt BIB as well but find that I prefer to mix it with lesser expensive bourbons like OGD and HH 6 Year BIB to spice them up. Of course, as we know, it has already undergone change.

As you point out, prices continue to increase.

I wish that I had remembered to ask Trey about the Jeff 10 Rye but it was another question I forgot to ask. Should have written the damn things down. Probably wouldn't have gotten a definitive answer but never hurts to try!

Off-topic, what the hell is a KFJWI, jeffrey r?

Ha. Never really noticed that. KF stands for a Kindle Fire HD tablet from Amazon. Not sure what the JWI means.

I did a 4-way blind tasting this afternoon with Ritt BIB (DSP-1 and DSP-354), WTR101, and Jeff10.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16945[/ATTACH]

I found the color to be very similar, although both Ritt BIBs were lighter than the other two (and I thought the WTR101 was darker than the Jeff10, which surprised me). On the nose, the Jeff10 really shined - head/shoulders above the other 3, which wasn't a surprise. The DSP-354 also stood out as being the most "bourbony" nose of the bunch. The DSP-1 and WTR101 were fairly similar, although I thought the WTR101 was a bit sweeter and softer. I had guessed correctly which was which based on the nose and color (surprised myself!), although I was iffy on the DSP-1 and WTR101 (and thought they might be a coin-flip).

I did three rounds of tasting (only poured 1/2 ounce of each, so these were small sips). The Jeff10 was the clear winner, having more complexity and stronger flavors (again, no surprise). At first I liked the DSP-1 more than the WTR101 or DSP-354, both of which I thought were "softer" on the palate. In later rounds, I liked the WTR101 more and the 354 less (and at the end of the tastings, I changed my guesses and wound up mixing up the DSP-1 and WTR101). The 354 is definitely a bit sweeter than the others, and was my least favorite of the bunch.

The conclusion I came to was that I should buy more Jeff 10 before the price goes up :) Also, that I won't hurt myself trying to pick up any WTR101, as today I found it quite similar to DSP-1. Hadn't planned on bunkering DSP-354 before this, as I liked DSP-1 better most of the time. On any given Sunday (or day that ends in "day"), the WTR101 might edge out the DSP-1, but at a higher premium (and I expect the comeback of WTR101 won't come with a price decline), I won't be in a hurry to stock up.

Great job! Gotta love SB. It's a shortcut if your palate matches Gary's. I agree about the Jefferson's being great. No need to pay extra for whistle pig with Jeff 10 around (that is until the domestic version arrives).

I'm really hoping it doesn't take a nosedive when it changes to US production. I have the same perspective on the pig (although can't claim to have done a blind sbs, but when I tried it at a bar, I thought "Overpriced Jeff 10?" :lol:

Anyone know when we'll see the first US produced Jeff 10? Definitely want to bump that to see the change (I like the newer Ritt BIB, so fingers crossed the new Jeff 10 will be at least close?)

Frankly I'd like to see more aged Rye out of Canada, they've got that 100% formula down to a science.

I was really surprised last weekend that a number of counties in lower NC still have ample supplies of old WTRye 101 at $22 a bottle. Every store I stopped in had at least a case.

Frankly I'd like to see more aged Rye out of Canada, they've got that 100% formula down to a science.

Since the producers in Canada don't seem to be interested in bottling the stuff themselves, all that is required are willing American bottlers to travel north with a cheque book in hand and you'll have plenty of aged 100% rye.

Well, this seems new....you can special order the 101 from PA state stores.

https://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/Product_Management/psi_ProductListPage_Inter.asp?searchPhrase=Wild+turkey&selTyp=&selTypS=&selTypW=&selTypA=&CostRange=&searchCode=&submit=Search

It says it's in the 750ml bottles so I don't know if this is old stock, but it seems coincidental that it is now available....but at $32 I'll pass....maybe someone else will take the plunge and report back.

Shit, I'll do it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT: Well, they took the order. SPO's usually take less that a week to come in, if not next day. If it doesn't happen, then I probably won't ever get it!

Edited by zillah

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.