WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What happened? Not in stock?

asking why a PA special order did not go through is like asking where Jimmy Hoffa is

asking why a PA special order did not go through is like asking where Jimmy Hoffa is

Never tried it, but not surprised.

What happened? Not in stock?

Distributors said it was not available at this time. They mentioned that I could buy the 81 in stores. I tried my best not to laugh.

tumypeje.jpg

Well, the Eagle (or in this case, the Turkey) appears to have landed at retail on a limited basis in this neck of the woods. Low $30s for 1L. Supply and demand will likely keep the price higher than it was before.

I have no frame of reference with the original 101 Rye, but this tastes quite good.

Edited by jeffrey r

I am not defending a higher price but I commonly see Baby Saz for around $32 and I much prefer WTR101. Jeff10 is between $30 and $36. So, low $30s for 1L is probably about right. Fortunately, I know of a few places with the old WTR101 at slightly increased prices but still below $30.

tumypeje.jpg

Well, the Eagle (or in this case, the Turkey) appears to have landed at retail on a limited basis in this neck of the woods. Low $30s for 1L. Supply and demand will likely keep the price higher than it was before.

I have no frame of reference with the original 101 Rye, but this tastes quite good.

Well, lookey there! Ain't that a purdy sight. Glad to see it.

I am not defending a higher price but I commonly see Baby Saz for around $32 and I much prefer WTR101. Jeff10 is between $30 and $36. So, low $30s for 1L is probably about right. Fortunately, I know of a few places with the old WTR101 at slightly increased prices but still below $30.

$32 for 1L equals $24 for a 750ml, which is only a dollar or two higher than it was a few years ago....given inflation and the price of everything going up, I would call it even.

Nicely put Soad. I think it was actually $33, but close enough. :) And the sample is still too small to know what the general going rate will be at retail.

Having caught the Rye bug after 101 went kaput, I was more than happy to plunk down $33 each for a few Liters of it when I saw it, and I would imagine most fans would not balk at that price either. Seems reasonable in this day and age. Just happy to have it in my home bar.

I guess I'm going to "cut my nose off to spite my face". I loved the old WTR101 but with all the games WT has been playing this year it'll be awhile before I purchase any of their products (exceptions are the two WT Tradition bottle I ran accross). That's just me, there are plenty of good inexpensive ryes in the stores for my consumption and some great ones at the $30 - $50 price point.

WT and Beam is where I cut my rye teeth. I had not picked up a bottle of either for a while before I saw that 101 was going away. If I see 101 for what I believe is a comparable price I may be tempted to see what I think of it now. I will never touch a bottle of either of the 81 proofs.

Anyone else here hate the "new" labelling? How on earth have their marketting gurus decided it was a good idea to change I will never understand, isnt whiskey all about heritage and history, I find the new labels cheap and tacky.

Both you guys are right.

I didnt realise give em the bird origjnated from the USA, I just assumed from its obvious shitness it was created for the Australian bogan market (fyi bogan is an australian redneck)

Both you guys are right.

I didnt realise give em the bird origjnated from the USA, I just assumed from its obvious shitness it was created for the Australian bogan market (fyi bogan is an australian redneck)

Nope they are after our bogans too:grin:

Looking forward to opening tonight. Just got the new ones in 1ltrs (bar size) havn't seen on the shelf, I'm guessing these might be for bars only(?)

Looking forward to opening tonight. Just got the new ones in 1ltrs (bar size) havn't seen on the shelf, I'm guessing these might be for bars only(?)

That was the claim of the brain trust at WT. You cocktailians (:cool:) wanted 81 proof because the 101 was just too strong and now the tune has changed 180 degrees and it returns primarily in 1L bottles for on premises use because cocktailians want more proof. Indecision may or may not be their problem!

Supposedly little or no rerelease in 750ml but I think there have been some reports of the 1L bottle showing up at retail.

If you have some of the former 101 handy I think many folks would like to hear a SBS (preferably blind!) comparison to see what new tricks the fine folks at Campari, I mean WT, have up their sleeve...

Edited by tanstaafl2

That was the claim of the brain trust at WT. You cocktailians (:cool:) wanted 81 proof because the 101 was just too strong and now the tune has changed 180 degrees and it returns primarily in 1L bottles for on premises use because cocktailians want more proof. Indecision may or may not be their problem!

Supposedly little or no rerelease in 750ml but I think there have been some reports of the 1L bottle showing up at retail.

If you have some of the former 101 handy I think many folks would like to hear a SBS (preferably blind!) comparison to see what new tricks the fine folks at Campari, I mean WT, have up their sleeve...

That's funny because when they announced the drop of wt 101 to 81 it was the cocktail bars in Chicago that bought everything left in the warehouse and left nothing for the whiskey bars. :)

I'll do a blind soon, have plenty of the old around in my personal collection and the bar's.

That was the claim of the brain trust at WT. You cocktailians (:cool:) wanted 81 proof because the 101 was just too strong . . . .

I ran across the liters I'm a store on Thursday morning. 31.99 I believe. I will grab one when I get back. Will do a side by side of the case I bunkered when it disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.