WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ran across the liters I'm a store on Thursday morning. 31.99 I believe. I will grab one when I get back. Will do a side by side of the case I bunkered when it disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Ohio???? Please say it was in Ohio!!

No liters of WT Rye appear on the state list and the 101 proof listings are a closeout prices.

Sorry not Ohio. It was at TPS. The luxury if being on Ohio only 10 minutes from NKY.

Sorry not Ohio. It was at TPS. The luxury if being on Ohio only 10 minutes from NKY.

I guess it was a dumb question....nobody in Cincinnati buys bourbon in Ohio.....

Reminds me of the tour guides at Jack Daniels who when asked why the proof had been dropped from 86 to 80 were scripted to reply:

"Well we did the research and that's what the customers wanted"

I'd like to meet the customers that were in that study group, bet I could fit 'em all into a small room.

A small room with a hole lot of beans.....

It's sad but true that most consumers prefer a lower proof. It's sad because they just don't get that if it's too strong for your taste, you can add water yourself. I know there are many insecure people out there, but not having enough confidence in yourself to add the right amount of water to a drink?

The reality is, the average consumer won't buy 101 proof. There's also an association of higher proof with 'drinking to get drunk.' Again, this is ill informed, but in marketing what people believe is true is always more important than the actual truth.

If, however, anyone said bartenders prefer the lower proof, they were mistaken. Most bartenders understand booze, what it is, how to use it. The old Wild Turkey 101 rye was a good deal. Maybe the new one is too.

If I have anything to counsel it's don't invest so much emotionally in these sorts of changes. It's unfortunate that the introduction of the 81 coincided with the 101 shortage. It's disingenuous to say that just because the 81 was planned a long time ago it was unrelated to the shortage. They could, for example, have prevented or at least lessened the shortage by delaying the launch of 81. That said, I don't see any evidence that the company changed course or is singing a different tune. A dynamic business is usually a healthy one and we all want the whiskey business to be healthy. Introducing the 81 was a correct business decision. Nobody wanted to run out of the 101 but it happened. They said it would return (which many doubted) and it has.

Edited by cowdery

Distributors said it was not available at this time. They mentioned that I could buy the 81 in stores. I tried my best not to laugh.

I'm going to try and place an SLO this week on the 101 and see what happens. Maybe it's in stock now since it seems to be appearing other places.

Introducing the 81 was a correct business decision. Nobody wanted to run out of the 101 but it happened. They said it would return (which many doubted) and it has.

You'll have to forgive my skepticism. They did say "sometime in 2013" and I guess they made it just under the wire. Of course it's on premise only, and in a few markets.... technically correct, I guess, which is the best kind of correct. But I wouldn't exactly be gloating about it given that virtually no one can buy it yet.

In other news, I'm seeing Russell's Reserve rye on shelves again, after many months' absence in this market so maybe their rye supply is easing.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone actually done a taste comparsion between the "old" and "new" yet?

Really curious because I enjoyed the old so much.

ATTENTION PA RESIDENTS:

The 101 rye is now available through the SLO system. My order was processed about a week ago and I brought home 2 liters of 101 rye this evening! Go to your local state store and ask to place an SLO. Give them Vendor number 8060, and item code 540576. Let's show PA and Wild Turkey that there is demand for this product!!!

Reminds me I need to ask around in KY. Stopped by a few places in the last week and only saw the 81.

What price did it come back at?

Will be hard to compare because it is only back in liter form. Catering to the on premise folks.

Will be hard to compare because it is only back in liter form. Catering to the on premise folks.

We can do math. Honest. :grin:

PA List is 33.29/L which would be 24.97 for the 750ml equivalent. The 81 Rye in PA is 20.99.

I think it bowed out in Ohio at less than 20 bucks a 750 (not counting the closeout pricing) so that's a considerable increase IMO.

PA List is 33.29/L which would be 24.97 for the 750ml equivalent. The 81 Rye in PA is 20.99.

I think it bowed out in Ohio at less than 20 bucks a 750 (not counting the closeout pricing) so that's a considerable increase IMO.

I avoid math whenever possible:cool: So thanks for running the numbers. I found a couple of semi-dusty 750's last spring for $18.50. So that's a nice hike.

Don't care, as long as i can find it without driving two states over.

///

OK, i care, just not as long is not Forgiven pricing model.

The price isn't bad at all,I figured much more now all we need is someone to do a SBS and post their thoughts.

That's about the same price we were paying in Indiana before it vanished. I envy you guys paying $20 or less.

The price in Ohio before it was discontinued was $17.20

Just made an SLSO at my local PLCB store, blew up the entire computer system while doing it. So I may or may not see my bottles as soon as Wednesday, at which time I am doing a double blind tasting with my wife as this is her absolute favorite.. I have not told her this is back in stock so it will be a good test to see how it compares.

Just made an SLSO at my local PLCB store, blew up the entire computer system while doing it. So I may or may not see my bottles as soon as Wednesday, at which time I am doing a double blind tasting with my wife as this is her absolute favorite.. I have not told her this is back in stock so it will be a good test to see how it compares.

The place where I picked it up had the 1L WT101 @ $29.99

What price did it come back at?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.