WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

u9unenuh.jpgmy wife did this double blind and picked the old WT on nose alone, then guessed the other one was the new wt.. Her only comment was it would be good with coke.. I am trying it now and it is kind of young and piney tasting.. I was not a huge fan of the old stuff but this new bottling is a step above awful.. It is just kind of ehh not much rye punch at all.. I am very disappointed as this is my wife's favorite pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only person that actually enjoys the new stuff?

I never tasted the old stuff, but I have no problem with the new stuff. Current open ryes at my house include WFE 4 Year, VWFRR, Ritt BIB and Baby Saz. I've had a couple of pours of the new stuff, and I thought the nose was nice, and flavor was good. I guess different strokes for different folks. Regardless, being that the old stuff is pretty much gone, and that I wanted some WT 101 Rye in my house, the new stuff will have to do.

Still looking for the new stuff and won't open my newly found old until I do

Good idea. I know when Ritt BIB made the switch, having two bottles opened at roughly the same time helped eliminate some variability from the comparison.

Don't remember where I read it, but thought the old stuff tended toward 5-6 yrs - wonder if the rush to bring this back soon has it on the young side (4 yrs and a day ...)

Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things, but just got an email from a store owner I had asked about it.

For what its worth since it involved a shop owner and a distributor, he talked to his sales guy and was basically told that Georgia was unlikely to see any of it trickle down to the retailers, bars already had orders in for most everything they were slated to get and it wasn't expected to arrived here for another month or two.

Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things

Hey, let's not jump to conclusions... ;) So far, the tally is 2 in favor, 1 against. Seriously though, I just don't think the new stuff is going to make its way into wide distribution, for the time being at least. The bartenders really wanted the 101 back, and I gather that will be the focus of the distribution.

Not that it matters too much since we're not really hearing the best things, but just got an email from a store owner I had asked about it.

For what its worth since it involved a shop owner and a distributor, he talked to his sales guy and was basically told that Georgia was unlikely to see any of it trickle down to the retailers, bars already had orders in for most everything they were slated to get and it wasn't expected to arrived here for another month or two.

Man this really disappointing news.

Hey, let's not jump to conclusions... ;) So far, the tally is 2 in favor, 1 against.

Ha. Wel I'm definitely hoping that I like it as much as the old. I didn't know much about whiskey then, but it was definitely a favorite. But I'm not too big of a fan of any WT stuff these days so I won't be too surprised or disappointed either way.

Found a liter of the new WT 101 rye at my local store so I bought it since I had an old 101 rye at home that I had found a few months back. I did a blind SBS tasting of the two and really enjoyed the old one much more than the new one. The old 101 rye had a very thick mouth feel and a good rye spice but not overwhelming. The nose was a little less in your face but it was nice. The new one had a much more powerful nose which at first I liked better but after tasting, you could taste that the new one was younger and had more alcohol burn. Never having tasted either variety before, I really like the the old WTR101 neat but unfortunately I think the new one will be relegated to cocktail duty which I guess isn't a bad thing because it should stand up nicely to mixers. The other option might be to throw it in the barrel I got for Christmas to see if that takes the edge off it.

Picked up a 1L locally for $37. Don't have any of the old for SBS comparison, but comparing to WFE 4yr Rye I find it to be lighter mouthfeel which starts hot, but finishes smooth. Less mint bomb in relation to WFE which is not a complaint as some nights you want that kick and some you don't.

Disappointed that price is up 20% or so from when it last appeared (if you factor cost back to 750mL). With what other brands have been selling for, this was likely a pure "what the market will bear" adjustment. All in all, glad it's back as it wipes the floor with the WT81 Rye.

Just picked up the new WT101 Rye. I have not had the older version, nor can I do a side by side. It doesn't seem to be very complex. All I really get is rye and spicy tropical fruits. It is tasty, but nothing really amazing. Reminds me more of WT101 bourbon than a straight foward rye.

• 3 weeks later...
1 liter will set you back $44.99 at Binny's...not me :grin:.

Wow, glad I stocked up before it was pulled and "re-released".

In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.

I was at a tasting on Sunday the national rep was there I was trying the Russel's 6 year old rye not bad. I asked about the WT 101 rye. He said tell the store that I wanted some. I talked the store. Their like Really? We haven't been able to get it. They called me today and I have 2 bottles on hold.

Ted

In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.

If the new release has changed, it 's another story, but IMO there isn't another rye on the market that has the big spicy kick of WTR 101. So, for that, I will allow them a premium in the category. But indeed, mid-$40's is probably pushing it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.