WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If the new release has changed, it 's another story, but IMO there isn't another rye on the market that has the big spicy kick of WTR 101. So, for that, I will allow them a premium in the category. But indeed, mid-$40's is probably pushing it.

I've never tried WTR 101 in any iteration, so I'll indeed withhold final judgement until I do. If it turns out that there's something special about it (that's clearly missing from the 81 proof expression), then it could very well warrant premium status. But it's my understanding that the WTR 101 was "standard issue" back in the day. Why would that change with its return to the shelves? The equivalent of $34/750 is head-and-shoulders above anything else wearing the WT label, at least from where I'm sitting.

I'm pretty well set on my standard pour ryes (GDR and Jefferson's are pretty much all I buy in the category - at $22 and $30, respectively). Still, I'd love to try the WTR, if only out of curiosity.

I've never tried WTR 101 in any iteration, so I'll indeed withhold final judgement until I do. If it turns out that there's something special about it (that's clearly missing from the 81 proof expression), then it could very well warrant premium status. But it's my understanding that the WTR 101 was "standard issue" back in the day. Why would that change with its return to the shelves? The equivalent of $34/750 is head-and-shoulders above anything else wearing the WT label, at least from where I'm sitting.

I'm pretty well set on my standard pour ryes (GDR and Jefferson's are pretty much all I buy in the category - at $22 and $30, respectively). Still, I'd love to try the WTR, if only out of curiosity.

Imagine my surprise seeing this on the shelf at Binny's yesterday in 1L bottles, good think I looked at the price. For $45, I could buy 2-3 bottles of Rittenhouse depending on where I shop. Unless this drops considerably, It just doesn't seem worth it.

I had a small pour of the new stuff at a local bar, and didn't like it much. It tasted hot and thin, without much (if any) nuance. I didn't water it down because the pour was so small, but I think the point of this is NOT to drink it at 81 proof.

Wow, I can't believe the price on this is now more than double what I was paying before!

:hot:

Imagine my surprise seeing this on the shelf at Binny's yesterday in 1L bottles, good think I looked at the price. For $45, I could buy 2-3 bottles of Rittenhouse depending on where I shop. Unless this drops considerably, It just doesn't seem worth it.

Don't understand their pricing here considering their pricing on WT101 and WTRB.

It just make a lot of sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed on it today @$38/liter. It was nice to see it making it to Mass, and at a better price point than others have posted. It's still a bit high for me while I'm able to get my GDR for $22/750 at the same store.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked one up at $37/liter. I thought I still had an older one open, but after digging around in boxes, I only found a still-sealed one, which I'm planning to keep unopened for a while.

It's not exactly like I remember the old label stuff, but it made a fine manhattan, and I'll be happy working my way through the bottle.

Hey, where'd you get that picture of Hectic? ;)

Why haven't you answered me? ;)

I saw a liter at Binny's in Chicago. I did not grab it. I did not check the price either, can't justify a liter of anything.

• 2 weeks later...

40 bucks a liter at Astor in NYC. Come on! Oh, but I'm sure that time off the market allowed them to give it extra months in the barrel. We all knew this was coming but it still is a sick joke.

-Mike

40 bucks a liter at Astor in NYC. Come on! Oh, but I'm sure that time off the market allowed them to give it extra months in the barrel. We all knew this was coming but it still is a sick joke.

-Mike

Beats the $54 they were charging for it at the Distillery! I passed.

Which is rare for me... :lol:

In a climate where it's almost difficult to find a bad tasting rye at just over $20/bottle, they've got some cojones. 100 proof or not.

Can you guys elaborate? I'm confused, as Ive been trying to broaden my horizons from only straight bourbon by stocking up some ryes. I only have a few, namely Rittenhouse Rye BiB, Old Scout 7 yr rye, and Bulleit Rye, but I find this pricing statement to be the opposite here in Pennsylvania. I enjoy the ryes just as much, but I haven't seen a single Rye here below 20, let alone a good one. Rittenhouse I know raised prices so its 26 here, but EVERY other rye I am seeing is like $40 to 50 a bottle. Many of the ones I've seen that are discussed as being good ryes are $60 plus. Basically I'm finding to get a good tasty rye I expect to pay twice as much as I would for a bourbon. Where are all these tasty ryes at sub 25 or 20 dollar prices? Or was that a typo? I'll buy em anyways to try, but when I can still stock delicious bourbon at value prices I keep way less ryes when they cost twice as much on average.

Also I see my site has the new WTR 101 listed for special order, think its 31.99. May have to order a few to try.

Edited by jmj_203

Can you guys elaborate? I'm confused, as Ive been trying to broaden my horizons from only straight bourbon by stocking up some ryes. I only have a few, namely Rittenhouse Rye BiB, Old Scout 7 yr rye, and Bulleit Rye, but I find this pricing statement to be the opposite here in Pennsylvania. I enjoy the ryes just as much, but I haven't seen a single Rye here below 20, let alone a good one. Rittenhouse I know raised prices so its 26 here, but EVERY other rye I am seeing is like $40 to 50 a bottle. Many of the ones I've seen that are discussed as being good ryes are $60 plus. Basically I'm finding to get a good tasty rye I expect to pay twice as much as I would for a bourbon. Where are all these tasty ryes at sub 25 or 20 dollar prices? Or was that a typo? I'll buy em anyways to try, but when I can still stock delicious bourbon at value prices I keep way less ryes when they cost twice as much on average.

Also I see my site has the new WTR 101 listed for special order, think its 31.99. May have to order a few to try.

My statement was referring to the fact that there are great ryes in the $20-$25 range (Dickel & Ritt in my area immediately come to mind), so it didn't make much sense to me for a commercial rye to be priced so high. However, since making that statement, it appears that the price for WTR101 has come down quite a bit in many areas. I've still yet to try it though :grin:

I went and looked at an older bottle of WT101 in my bunker, unfortunately, no price tag, but as I recall I paid around $25 for that bottle. It was a straggler on the shelf after it had been "discontinued." If people are finding liters around $37-40, then that is 27.75-30 per 750. That's not a bad up charge to have access to a different style rye at a higher proof. Baby Saz has jumped over $30 in my area, Willet 4 yr is in the high $30s now, at a similar proof James Pepper is about $28. I don't find that pricing offensive at all. When WT101 Rye went off the market, Rittenhouse could be had for under $20 here locally, now I'm seeing that in the 22-24 range, so that is a similar increase during the same time period.

Whether you like it or not, in my opinion, its great to have another style of rye available and the pricing doesn't seem awful when you do the calc from L to 750ml. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ritt, but it's just barely a rye at 51%.

Still have the RITT here for $19.99 but haven't seen any of the new WT101R yet

I went and looked at an older bottle of WT101 in my bunker, unfortunately, no price tag, but as I recall I paid around $25 for that bottle. It was a straggler on the shelf after it had been "discontinued." If people are finding liters around $37-40, then that is 27.75-30 per 750. That's not a bad up charge to have access to a different style rye at a higher proof. Baby Saz has jumped over $30 in my area, Willet 4 yr is in the high $30s now, at a similar proof James Pepper is about $28. I don't find that pricing offensive at all. When WT101 Rye went off the market, Rittenhouse could be had for under $20 here locally, now I'm seeing that in the 22-24 range, so that is a similar increase during the same time period.

Whether you like it or not, in my opinion, its great to have another style of rye available and the pricing doesn't seem awful when you do the calc from L to 750ml. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ritt, but it's just barely a rye at 51%.

Agree - I'm pumped to see more rye hitting the shelves. I still see Ritt around $20, but haven't seen a WTR101 yet. Even though I tried it at the gazebo and was underwhelmed, I may pick one up. Hell, in that environment, so many variables. I paid around $25 for the older WTR101 before, and agree the pricing doesn't seem out of whack. I definitely like the dusty WTR101 more than Ritt.

Gary, by chance did you try the old and new at the Gazebo? They were both out at least on Friday.

Gary, by chance did you try the old and new at the Gazebo? They were both out at least on Friday.

I don't think I tried the old, as I have had it before (and my palate wasn't in shape to do a studied comparison). Then again, I could have drank damn near anything by Friday night :lol: Thankfully there was no ghost-pepper OGD on the table :)

• 4 weeks later...

liquor barns website now says its in stock for $23.99 for the 101 proof

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still enjoying my new bottle of it, FWIW. Still my favorite whiskey!

Jealous here, to my knowledge none so far for Ga.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.