WT101 Rye Returns?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pretty sure it is here. It is just going mostly to on premises accounts rather than stores. Might be able to convince your favorite store to try to order some, especially if they have any pull at all with their distributor. Not sure who that is in Georgia. Empire I think at least in Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised to see it today in Nor Cal. We usually are the last to get a bottle once it's rolled out nationally (for the most part). And yeah, the pricing has skyrocketed to a whopping $60 for a liter bottle! But this is from a place that perplexingly sells Saz Jr for $50, when just last season sold it for $30.

^^^^ That is nuts, and frankly insulting to its customers. Scarcity shouldn't automatically mean you need to be a d-bag store.

I had missed out on the old 101 rye, so when it showed up by me at $32 for the new 1L bottle, I was happy to stock up on a few.

Jinenjo, those prices are insane. For $50 you should be able to get a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and a bottle of Dickle Rye. :drink: The last couple bottles of Saz I've had were just mediocre, nowhere near as good as years ago.

Saw some a couple months ago in SF, $34ish, passed as I still have some of the old stuff and too much other stuff waiting.

I'm feeling much better about bunkering a couple of bottles for $25 @ the high-priced store, pre-drought, now.

Edited by MauiSon

I'm feeling much better about bunkering a couple of bottles for $25 @ the high-priced store, pre-drought, now.

It's the first whiskey I ever bunkered. Nailed four bottles; I still have three sealed and am halfway through one.

Same here. PA put it on sale in the state stores when the proof dropped. I drove around the area for a week buying bottles. I ended up with about 22 of them. I still have 19 or 20 in the cabinet.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone one seen this in Michigan yet? My liquor store has been ordering it, but they have yet to receive a bottle. It is on the Michigan list at $34.99 state minimum.

Has anyone one seen this in Michigan yet? My liquor store has been ordering it, but they have yet to receive a bottle. It is on the Michigan list at $34.99 state minimum.

It's in the MI liquor catalog but it's for on premise only.

I too have been ordering from a take-out store with no results.

I picked up a bottle at the Wild Turkey gift shop Saturday.

If you know a bar owner then he can get it for you.

Did they bring the price down at the gift shop? When I was there it was priced at some truly annoying markup. I want to say it was $50 or so. Even as a liter that was too much. I decided to pass at that price.

I honestly don't remember the price, I just grabbed a Diamond, Kentucky Spirit & Rye 101 and was glad to get them.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a local store here announce that they got in a few bottles, $40/L. Haven't made it over there this weekend and debating on whether I'll pick up a bottle without having another glass or two at a bar, but its at least nice to see it showing up in stores here.

Saw a local store here announce that they got in a few bottles, $40/L. Haven't made it over there this weekend and debating on whether I'll pick up a bottle without having another glass or two at a bar, but its at least nice to see it showing up in stores here.

Really nice that they let folks know! These are trying times. Obviously, many have bought WTR101 in the low $20s/750 ml and now the price is higher. But, the price is higher for everything. Sometimes, you just have to realize the times have changed and things are more expensive. Given the options out there, I would be a buyer at $30 for sure. But, I would have to be certain before paying $40, even for a liter.

Really nice that they let folks know! These are trying times. Obviously, many have bought WTR101 in the low $20s/750 ml and now the price is higher. But, the price is higher for everything. Sometimes, you just have to realize the times have changed and things are more expensive. Given the options out there, I would be a buyer at $30 for sure. But, I would have to be certain before paying $40, even for a liter.

Agreed on the being nice to let people know. This store has really up'd their whiskey game, the last couple years. I find myself giving them a lot of business, even if there are several stores closer.

Really price, anywhere near MSRP is no problem. Most distillers set a fair price give the way the market/economy for whiskey is these days. For ~4 year old rye its a bit high, considering I can almost get 1.5L of rittenhouse for the same price, but what the heck, theres only so much different, reasonably proofed, and decently aged rye out there now.

Whats holding me back is how much I loved the old one and deciding if I want to "dignify" the new release with a purchase. I'll probably swing by there tomorrow and if there is any left I'll pick one up, but I figured I'd let anyone else really dying to get it pick it up over the weekend.

Edited by ramblinman

Finally pulled the trigger on a liter earlier this week (I had a good business meeting, I was weak)

Its really a thin, hot, young version of its former self, so its definitely Wild Turkey, but all in all its still not too bad. Whole lot of corniness comes out in my first few glasses and I honestly don't get much rye-ness at all until the herbalness in the finish.

Glad I got it, and I see myself visiting it every now and again, but I'm guessing this bottle will last a long time on my shelf.

Just picked up a couple of the new WT101 ryes. I did a comparison of this one with the single bottle I bunkered before it was discontinued. Both were freshly cracked bottles. The verdict for this first impression? For my palate, I did not notice much of a difference. The new one might have been slightly less spicy, but it was a subtle difference. I will try these again over the next couple of days, and will report back if my impressions change. I'm glad this is available once again. I'm not happy that it is a little more expensive than it used to be, but it is still cheaper than Baby Saz when compared at the 750 mL size. And I still think it is a touch better than Baby Saz.

Just picked up a couple of the new WT101 ryes. I did a comparison of this one with the single bottle I bunkered before it was discontinued. Both were freshly cracked bottles. The verdict for this first impression? For my palate, I did not notice much of a difference. The new one might have been slightly less spicy, but it was a subtle difference. I will try these again over the next couple of days, and will report back if my impressions change. I'm glad this is available once again. I'm not happy that it is a little more expensive than it used to be, but it is still cheaper than Baby Saz when compared at the 750 mL size. And I still think it is a touch better than Baby Saz.

I'm of the opinion that your take on the hardly detectable difference between the two is probably how it is. Really, it was only a couple of years of down time, and I just can't imagine a significant change in the profile of the whiskey because of that.

I'm of the opinion that your take on the hardly detectable difference between the two is probably how it is. Really, it was only a couple of years of down time, and I just can't imagine a significant change in the profile of the whiskey because of that.

Isn't there a good chance they came off the new and old still? May still be the same but that is a pretty big variable although they of course get to blend hundreds of barrels, perhaps including older ones, to meet the desired profile.

Did y'all do the SBS? Still haven't seen the new bottle up here on either side of the state line and I'm curious as to how the Atlanta members feel about the new bottling.

In all the excitement I guess nobody had a new WTR available. I may be able to get one soon if the price is decent but have no old WTR to compare with.

We were forced to settle for a GTS SBS thanks to Joe's amazing generosity!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.