Partagas #10

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody suggest a bourbon to go with an Unbanded Partagas #10?? Its about time I smoked the damn thing. . .

Tom ( bandit.gif) C

Tom,

The Partagas #10 is about a double corona in size so you will have some time to try out a couple different pours while smoking. IIRC it is a medium bodied smoke with lots of wood and spice notes. I would pull out the ER17 and compare the woodiness of the cigar with the slightly-woody, well-aged flavor of the bourbon. I would also try it with a glass of Weller 19. Really just try anything old. Stagg pairs nicely with anything other than the mildest cigars. Hope you enjoy! toast.gifbandit.gif

It should also be noted that all of the above suggestions work only with naked, i.e. band-off, cigars. If you happen to be smoking a Partagas #10 WITH a band, well then you better go with a hefty pour of George Dickle #12 or something of similar bad taste. No sense wasting good bourbon on a crappy "banded" cigar skep.gif

wink.gif

Good Deal I have been looking for an excuse to pull out the good stuff anyway! And yeah that cigar is a beast, I am gonna be sittin out in the cold for a while. . . .

TomC

Well i finished that baby off and while it hasnt converted me to being a regular cigar smoker, It was not an unpleasant experience at all, something I may have to do again when in the mood. I paired it with small pours of two bourbons, Kentucky Spirit and Eagle Rare 17, and the smoke and drinks seemed to mirror each other. Against the KS it seemed very bold and smoky, while against the ER 17 it was smooth, sweet, & refined. i know nuthin of cigars so i dont feel qualified to recommend it, but i liked it alright.

TomC

I think I am gonna find myself a SMALLER high quality smoke next time, though. . .

TomC

Tom,

I would recommend sticking with a big "around" cigar, as they will usually have a cooler smoke. I started with those big double coronas, too, because they looked like what I wanted. But they took about 45 min to an hour to smoke. So, I eventually gravitated to "robustos" that were just as big around, but were only about 4-1/2" long. bandit.gif

Tim

PS - I haven't smoked them in several years, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, it is as accurate as I can remember it.

If you want to become a regular cigar smoker, stick to the bigger ring guages like your DC had but get something smaller. Padron 5000 is my favorite, but Partagas Shorts are tasty in the AM too. Fuente's make some good big ring cigars that aren't all that long to smoke: The Chateau Fuente with the sungrown wrappers are a treat!

-Brian

My favorite robustos are made by Punch. Punch, as does a few other cigar makers, uses the term "Rothchild" to denote a robusto size. So look for a "Punch Rothchild." If you can find any of the Punch cigars with the "Rare Corojo" wrapper try them also. They will have a red band on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have found quite the opposite to be true of what many are saying here. A cigar smokes as cool as you want it to, period. If you are sucking down a Puros Indios Cheif (18 X 68) then it will burn hot. The problem with the smoke you had is that it is way too mild.

Bump up a strength category to the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur line. Find a size that you feel comfortable with (I suggest the #3) and buy one in natural and one in maduro. Make sure that as you smoke it no glowing red cone develops in the center--that means you are smoking to fast. This is a relaxing hobby, not a race. For a beginner, anything bigger than a lonsdale will just annoy you.

Conversely, when I started, I began with big ring gauge cigars, typically 7 x 52 or bigger. However, after 10 years of smoking everything under the sun, my favorite sizes are: coronas, marevas, Delicados/Laguito #1, and dalias among parejos and campanas among figurados. Many, if not most, connoisseurs that I know smoke these sizes or similar sizes, of which all are small ring gauges (except the figurado).

Experimentation is the only thing that will get you anywhere in cigars. Take what your local tobacconist says with a grain of salt, what ever you do. They are typically the most uniformed people in the world of cigars (besides company reps). Visit www.cigarfamily.com, which is another great bulletin board that is full of good information. But be careful, they are not as docile as the guys over here. smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.