What Wine Are You Drinking? - Winter 2013/2014

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened two bottles from Orin Swift last night for Thanksgiving. First was a 2011 bottle of Palermo, a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. I thought it was really well put together but would probably be even better in a few years. Second was a bottle of Locations F-1, a French red blend consisting primarily of Grenache and Syrah. I've had it before and it's probably my favorite of the Locations line.

We tried the CA2 locations from Orin Swift last week. It's the priciest of the locations line. It was big hold and tasty but it is getting into stiff competition at the $26-30 price point. Can't call it a bargain anymore like the I, E and F blends.

I enjoyed a Sean Minor Napa Red last night after dinner.

Also a very limited amount of an Argentinian blend coming from Dave Phinney. AR, Should have it next week and I will report back.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 Merry-Edwards Sauvignon Blanc from the Russian River Valley. I'm not a big white wine fan but this is excellent stuff.

Drank nearly a bottle of Chat Mas Neuf Rhone Paradox Rouge at a holiday party. A tasty blend Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre and carignan.

Inexpensive and tasty.

Not a huge wine drinker. Keep a few bottles of different styles on hand and when the mood hits...that being said, had a buddy over the other night and he was just big-upping this Beaujolais Nouveau he'd been drinking. Went and found a bottle the next day and am unsure what all the fuss is about. Was pretty much what I thought it would be, young, simple, sweet, thin. Any fans here that can tell me what I'm missing out on?

Not a huge wine drinker. Keep a few bottles of different styles on hand and when the mood hits...that being said, had a buddy over the other night and he was just big-upping this Beaujolais Nouveau he'd been drinking. Went and found a bottle the next day and am unsure what all the fuss is about. Was pretty much what I thought it would be, young, simple, sweet, thin. Any fans here that can tell me what I'm missing out on?

I don't think you're missing out on anything. You described Beaujolais Nouveau perfectly. It's just boring stuff, imho.

A marketing construct only - if you want Beaujolais, look for those labeled Beaujolais Villages for the best examples of the Beaujolais style. The Nouveau is crap.

Nouveau is just the first wine of the vintage. Unoaked, light and simple.

Some nouveau's are better than others.

All are too light for me. Your Pinot drinkers should enjoy nouveau.

Opened a 2010 Ramey Napa Valley Cab. A bit on the young side but still very tasty. Hopefully I can keep one around for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

we brought this the other night to the Pump Room. It's been remodeled, but we were in what would be Booth 1, where many celebrities sat on their visits to Chicago.

this wine is from Todd Anderson who also does Anderson's Conn Valley as his regular label.

this is his pet project.

http://www.ghosthorseworld.com/#home

anyway, it was great. you could smell it as the waiter poured my taste.

only 600 bottles that year.

2c29e26c-f680-44b6-ac43-d97cc6854ed6_zps7caf6b46.jpg

I believe Dave Phinney is behind the brand even though it doesn't carry his name.

We had a bunch of Rhone blends in the same price range so we passed on the bayonette but it was tasty.

We do carry the Fittings Grenache from the same wine maker.

Had some delicious Mark Ryan Merlot bottled for John Howie the other night - I feel fortunate to live in a state with a good wine scene.

2011 Fittings Grenache tonight. A damn good grenache.

Also purchased another Fittings today along with a 2011 Abstract and a 2011 D66, both from Orin Swift. Great wines.

Wines aren't my forte but enjoyed this one last night while out to dinner.

post-8493-14489820362018_thumb.jpg

Nice citrus fruit component and dry but still a hint of sweetness which I tend to like.

The wife and I cracked open a bottle of 2010 Pessac Leognan from Haut Bergey and killed it pretty quickly. Really great stuff. Its a $40 bottle, but I think its pretty reasonable at that price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.