Dickel 8

Pieface
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dickel 8 and 12 have become available down here. I know and like GD12 but I'm looking for thoughts on the current GD8.

Is it an alright sipper? How does it stand up to a cola. Looks like I can get 1L bottles for a good price for Down Under and it could be the new well whiskey.

Comparisons to EWB, the current daily driver, would be useful.

Cheers,

Morgs :)

I cut my teeth on Dickel and never met one I didn't like. Its a great sipper (or mixer) and is especially nice out of the freezer, fridge or cooler on a hot summer day!

Having just opened a handle of Dickel 8, some thoughts:

More Jack-like than GD12, but better than Jack. A little hotter than EWB but with a really nice balance of flavors (corn, vanilla, maple and char). Oh, and lots of that "vitamin" note that Dickel is known for. Compared to EWB it's younger, hotter, but a wider range of flavors. More interesting, if less refined. Would maked a great mixer.

The general consensus locally among Bourbon drinkers is Dickel 12 is for drinking and 8 is for mixing.

I prefer the 8 over the 12. I really liked cascade hollow, and I imagine I will like the new corn whiskey they are coming out with that is basically their white dog charcoal mellowed.

Being as the regular mash bill is more than 80% corn that would qualify as corn whisky, interesting approach to the market.

My order of GD12 went awry yesterday.

My Appleton 12 turned up as ordered but my GD12 morphed into a Talisker 10 in transit somehow :s

Pretty fond of Talisker and it represents a substantial discount so I will have to try again to tickle my Dickel itch another time!

Looks like there isn't a lot of love for the 8 as a sipper. Maybe I will just stick with the 12 for now until I can get a taste of the 8 somewhere.

My order of GD12 went awry yesterday.

My Appleton 12 turned up as ordered but my GD12 morphed into a Talisker 10 in transit somehow :s

Pretty fond of Talisker and it represents a substantial discount so I will have to try again to tickle my Dickel itch another time!

Looks like there isn't a lot of love for the 8 as a sipper. Maybe I will just stick with the 12 for now until I can get a taste of the 8 somewhere.

Tickle my dickle? Theres a joke in there somewhere!

GD12 is a lovely sipper for the money, not sure if a $5 saving is worth the trouble of ever buying the 8, but thats just me.

BTW Appleton 12 is a cracker, highly underated and often overlooked, have you tried agnostura 1919? Another nice sippin rum.

BTW Appleton 12 is a cracker

translation? I think that has a different meaning in your continent....

Hah yeh that thought didnt even occur to me! Nothing to do with ethnicity, cracker means "really good"

Interchangeable with cracking, crackerjack, bonza, beauty, tickity boo etc

Edited by onemorepour

cracker = bonza = great! :)

DM seem to have discovered their error and I have to give the Talisker back. I'm sad but it's saved me some coin as I was going to have the GD12 regardless.

I wonder if they would notice if I had a couple of pours out of the Tally first :grin:

I'll take a look at that Angostura Onemore. I do like a rum at Xmas!

Frst time on the Appleton 12. I've read good things!

I'll take a look at that Angostura Onemore. I do like a rum at Xmas!

Frst time on the Appleton 12. I've read good things!

I mix rum with 7up. Just kidding, I actually prefer ginger ale but to me rum is a mixing spirit.

As for the Dickel 8 chatter, lets stop dissing George Jr.

I mix rum with 7up. Just kidding, I actually prefer ginger ale but to me rum is a mixing spirit.

As for the Dickel 8 chatter, lets stop dissing George Jr.

I've had enough to form an opinion, of sorts. 8-12-15-23-25 Appletons, Zaca, El Dorados, Ron Zacapas, 10 Cane, Cruzans, Lemon Hart back in the old days, some of the Navy strengths, as far as I'm concerned the only reason to put rum in a barrel is to get the sulfur out of it.

I'll take Dickel 8 over any rum.

I've had enough to form an opinion, of sorts. 8-12-15-23-25 Appletons, Zaca, El Dorados, Ron Zacapas, 10 Cane, Cruzans, Lemon Hart back in the old days, some of the Navy strengths, as far as I'm concerned the only reason to put rum in a barrel is to get the sulfur out of it.

I'll take Dickel 8 over any rum.

Ah, as I suspected. Just haven't had the right rums (or should I say rhums?). Just as well, means more for me!

But I will certainly be happy to relieve your burden and trade you a Dickel 8 for an Appleton 25....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.