13th Colony Southern Rye

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone tried this yet from the Georgia distillery that makes a corn whiskey? Its a young one at two years old. Interestingly, the web site says it is aged in charred French Oak.

Pretty sure tanssaafl just picked one of these up recently, so we should hear once he has a chance to dive into it. I've seen it but admit I've been too gun-shy about pulling the trigger. It looks really dark for a rye (and such a young rye), although it is warmer in GA than KY. I did buy a bottle of their corn whiskey which was interesting, although for the price I'll stick to Mellow Corn when I want that sort of thing :)

Anyone tried this yet from the Georgia distillery that makes a corn whiskey? Its a young one at two years old. Interestingly, the web site says it is aged in charred French Oak.

I suppose they can age in charred French Oak if it's not labeled straight rye whiskey, which this isn't. (Straight whiskey can only be aged in new charred American oak.)

Check the bottle MM, if it says 'produced and bottled by', or 95% rye, it was made by MGP

Haven't seen a bottle "in person" yet but the web site says 96% rye. I don't think its MGP juice but I wish producers were more up front. There's nothing wrong with MGP. In fact I really like Bulleit rye. But like most of us on this board I just like knowing where my whiskey comes from and how its aged.

The web site also says "our distinctlively flavored rye whiskey is bottled at 95 proof." The use of that "flavored" word puts me off a bit. I don't think they mean they add flavoring- at least I hope not.

I suppose they can age in charred French Oak if it's not labeled straight rye whiskey, which this isn't. (Straight whiskey can only be aged in new charred American oak.)

Good point as to why it doesn't carry the straight designation. Seems kind of strange they would pay for imported new charred barrels when our own American Oak is so renowned.

Why copy the MGP recipe? It's not the best, the original Seagram recipe of 80% rye and 20% malt made a better whisky.

This is a funny coincidence.

I was just looking at Zingerman's Roadhouse whiskey list and I see this 13th Colony Southern Rye.

Then I do a search for it and check out their website.

So I thought I'll see if anyone on SB.com has anything on it and here we are with a new thread on the subect.

(btw, I get impressed easily)

They say they use local ingrediants when they can, does rye grow in GA?

I thought rye needed a cooler climate like the northeast and the plain states.

96% rye sounds interesting but dissapointed in the 2 year age.

I'm going to try it Tuesday, I'm skipping work and my bride and I are going into Ann Arbor for Christmas shopping and of course Zingerman's.

Oscar I suspect that small still on the web site is used for their white goods only (gin, vodka) as it's not of sufficient capacity to make them and support two brands of whisky nationwide.

Sure, then give it a bit of barrel age. But why release it so young? Seems they gave more thought to the bottle and label than the contents.

I have heard nothing back from the distillery so far which is disappointing and leaves one to conclude it is sourced whiskey.Haven't cracked it yet.

Seems very likely that the bottle I have is MGPI sourced. They may in fact be making their own product at 96% in french oak now but I am pretty sure the one I posted about here isn't it.

Even if they are making rye whiskey the rye itself isn't local because, as noted, it is generally too hot to grow rye here.

That 96% appears once on their site, is that a typo? Why would a craft distiller choose a weak, enzyme infused commercial recipe anyway, that would be like an artisan baker trying to copy Wonder Bread.

That 96% appears once on their site, is that a typo? Why would a craft distiller choose a weak, enzyme infused commercial recipe anyway, that would be like an artisan baker trying to copy Wonder Bread.

The one certainty I have noted amongst craft distillers is that there is nothing certain.

Starting a distillery does not guarantee the presence of a truly knowledgeable distiller on the team it would seem.

The other distinguishing factor is the talk of using French oak instead of American oak. Without someone able to check them out in person we may not get a clear answer.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I should think American Oak with the caramel vanilla tones would round out the whisky better. French Oak imparts dryer, spicier notes and Rye is already dry and spicy enough.

I should think American Oak with the caramel vanilla tones would round out the whisky better. French Oak imparts dryer, spicier notes and Rye is already dry and spicy enough.

True enough. And yet...

http://thirteenthcolony.com/products/southern-rye-whiskey/

13th Colony Southern Rye Whiskey is an American classic with a distinctive spicy flavor and a slightly sweet finish. Southern Rye is derived from a mash of 96% rye grain and 4% barley grain and aged in new charred French oak barrels. Our distinctively flavored Rye Whiskey is bottled at 95 proof.

Zingerman's is awesome - leave the 2 yr rye of the shelf.

Oh btw, I took your advice and had the Founders Old Dirty Bastard on tap.

Oh btw, I took your advice and had the Founders Old Dirty Bastard on tap.

Love Founder's - good choice! And you can never fail with ZIngerman's - love that place.

• 2 months later...
This is a funny coincidence.

I was just looking at Zingerman's Roadhouse whiskey list and I see this 13th Colony Southern Rye.

Then I do a search for it and check out their website.

So I thought I'll see if anyone on SB.com has anything on it and here we are with a new thread on the subect.

(btw, I get impressed easily)

They say they use local ingrediants when they can, does rye grow in GA?

I thought rye needed a cooler climate like the northeast and the plain states.

96% rye sounds interesting but dissapointed in the 2 year age.

I'm going to try it Tuesday, I'm skipping work and my bride and I are going into Ann Arbor for Christmas shopping and of course Zingerman's.

Are they saying local to where? Maybe they mean local to where the source distills it. :)

Americus, Georgia is not known for rye, peanuts yes, but not rye.
Rocktown Distillery of Little Rock makes their Rye Whiskey from Rye grown on their own farm in Northeast Arkansas. Haven't tried it yet. I believe it is aged for only 3 years in American Oak. Still can't wait to try it.

Rocktown Distillery of Little Rock makes their Rye Whiskey from Rye grown on their own farm in Northeast Arkansas.

How exactly does that make the whisky any better?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.