13th Colony Southern Rye

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How exactly does that make the whisky any better?

I think KH's point is that rye can be grown in a hot and humid climate, such as NE Arkansas (and Americus, GA) can be.

Back on topic has anyone actually tried it? Frankly I'm a little discouraged seeing more and more shelf space occupied by crafts, NDP, NAS, and droves of moonshine.

I can only assume that it really is selling and is profitable for dealers.

Of course they can be, we have Mennonite farmers who grow wheat in Mississippi, though they have to do it on a crop rotation basis to prevent an infestation of mildew or ergot endemic to a head grain crop grown in the hot, humid South. The fact it can be done doesn't make it a good idea. A dog can be taught to walk on his hind legs but that doesn't make him hunt any better.

My question remains, if they plan to make the best product how is that helped by using local grains?

Back on topic has anyone actually tried it?

Excellent question :) I thought that tanssaafl picked one of these up, but may be thinking of something else. I haven't, but am curious to hear feedback.

Excellent question :) I thought that tanssaafl picked one of these up, but may be thinking of something else. I haven't, but am curious to hear feedback.

I don't care what it is...tanstaafl would be a good guess to have picked it up! :lol:

I don't care what it is...tanstaafl would be a good guess to have picked it up! :lol:

Guilty as charged! I haven't opened it yet but could always bring it to the upcoming GBS extravaganza for some expert review...

Never said it did.
However, having said that, anything made with ingredients that spring from Arkansas soil is inherently superior. Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Yes it has and since the Ozarks are bisected by the Arkansas/Missouri state lines there's no reason it shouldn't.

Yes it has and since the Ozarks are bisected by the Arkansas/Missouri state lines there's no reason it shouldn't.
So true, in fact Arkansas used to have more than a few commercial distilleries producing sour mash whiskey. I bet Mississippi did too. Prohibition wiped them out.

• 2 months later...
Guilty as charged! I haven't opened it yet but could always bring it to the upcoming GBS extravaganza for some expert review...

Has this bottle been opened yet?

A very nice friendly rep from the distillery brought some to a Tallahassee Whiskey society get together awhile ago - we all tasted it, but no one bothered with notes so no help there. No one bought a bottle. No one has mentioned it since. feh.

If you really like LDI rye you might find this one mildly interesting but probably not at a premium price point.

It did make it to the last GBS gathering. It wasn't terrible but I wasn't particularly impressed either. I think Gary may have tried it as well. The one I had is most certainly from MGPI despite what the distillery may claim about making their own.

Still some speculation about whether they are now making and/or bottling their own make of this which is what they claim. They never bothered to respond to my emails so they are pretty much on my list of things not to make any effort to seek out or buy again at the moment even if it was good.

• 2 months later...

Just returned from a trip to the corner shop, where there was a 13 Colony Sales Rep present to talk about their products. He swears up and down that both the rye and bourbon are produced and distilled entirely at their facility in Americus. I asked him no less than 8 times, referring him to our discussions here, and that I was skeptical. Emphatically stated they distilled and aged it. He also welcomed GBS for a tour, which I would love to do. A very nice gentleman who appeared to know his stuff and spoke learnedly about the whiskey biz. I have to say that I believe him. I've sent him a follow-up email, and hope to have more conversations with him soon. Also, invited him to join us here and chime in. I hope he does.

Rye: Just under 3 years in new charred AWO barrels; 96% Rye, 4% Barley, 95 Proof

Bourbon: Aged 4 years; 70% Corn, 25% Rye, 5% Barley; 95 Proof

I look

GBS road trip, man you guys know how to live.

I was just thinking "So - when do we do a road trip?" That is outside the Uber coverage area though, so sampling will need to be minimal.

Just returned from a trip to the corner shop, where there was a 13 Colony Sales Rep present to talk about their products. He swears up and down that both the rye and bourbon are produced and distilled entirely at their facility in Americus. I asked him no less than 8 times, referring him to our discussions here, and that I was skeptical. Emphatically stated they distilled and aged it. He also welcomed GBS for a tour, which I would love to do. A very nice gentleman who appeared to know his stuff and spoke learnedly about the whiskey biz. I have to say that I believe him. I've sent him a follow-up email, and hope to have more conversations with him soon. Also, invited him to join us here and chime in. I hope he does.

Rye: Just under 3 years in new charred AWO barrels; 96% Rye, 4% Barley, 95 Proof

I look

Maybe they do now. But they sure as heck didn't always despite claims to the contrary. In September 2013 for example.

Does that mashbill by chance look familiar???

post-8493-14489821159488_thumb.jpg

Add that to the fact that they never bothered to respond to repeated email inquiries and I feel no need to give them any benefit of the doubt whatsoever!

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't be up for a road trip. In fact I believe I may have already suggested a road trip although I certainly can't find that post now of course!

So when you guys go on a road trip, does the goat ride in a trailer or in the extended cab of the pick up?

So when you guys go on a road trip, does the goat ride in a trailer or in the extended cab of the pick up?

This time of year it will probably be the early 70's bourbon colored Caddy El Dorado rag top and the goat doesn't let anyone drive that one but him...

Plenty bottles of both the bourbon and the rye on the shelves here. I'm guessing they may end up staying on the shelf longer than they did in the barrel.

I look

Since you asked eight times, was one of your formulations "Why did you decide to use the same rather unusual mash bills as MGP of Indiana for both of your products?"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.