Jefferson's Presidential Rye 25

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I try very hard not to like Jefferson's products. P&MLiquorsEric talking about KY prices talked me into gambling. And I was afraid I'd regret missing trying it more than wasting $$ on something nasty.

This one took me by surprise. There's been very few canadians I've liked. I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time. Lots of different subtle flavors. Not a strong aftertaste, but a pleasent lingering goodness.

Age old question, is it worth the $$? For most everybody, no, go for the Jefferson's 10 year instead. However, if you've already tasted lots of different things, like to experiment, and don't mind the price.... But if you're a rockstar, please don't mix it with coke or sprite.

I try very hard not to like Jefferson's products. P&MLiquorsEric talking about KY prices talked me into gambling. And I was afraid I'd regret missing trying it more than wasting $$ on something nasty.

This one took me by surprise. There's been very few canadians I've liked. I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time. Lots of different subtle flavors. Not a strong aftertaste, but a pleasent lingering goodness.

Age old question, is it worth the $$? For most everybody, no, go for the Jefferson's 10 year instead. However, if you've already tasted lots of different things, like to experiment, and don't mind the price.... But if you're a rockstar, please don't mix it with coke or sprite.

Haha...thank you for the review. I doubt I would ever purchase the 25 year but I really like the Jeff 10 Canadian. It is really good!

I expected stout flavors from a 25 yo old rye. This one was mild, sophisticated. It's got the carvone nose & flavors (rye bread) one gets from old time ryes found in products made years ago. I expected heavy wood, but almost no wood present. It does have maturity that comes from something sitting in barrel for a long time.

So is this a product of the Canadian climate? Mild summers and cold winters don't allow for the swings in temp/humidity found in KY? So a year aging in Can<a year in Ky?

So is this a product of the Canadian climate? Mild summers and cold winters don't allow for the swings in temp/humidity found in KY? So a year aging in Can<a year in Ky?

I have some 15 year old Heaven Hill bourbon that was aged at Springbank. Wasn't aware of any other experiments.

I would be very curious to hear from someone that has done a SBS of 21yr. and the 25yr. as I thought the 21yr. was quite remarkable and probably should have jumped while they were still available.I know that they are rather tight lipped with the sources of these ultra-aged ryes,but if they are truly of the same source a bit more barrel influence would be welcome as the only real fault I found in the 21yr. was in the nose as it was a bit simplistic and closed form what you would expect form a product of this age,maybe another 4 years would add some depth and richness.

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

I would be very curious to hear from someone that has done a SBS of 21yr. and the 25yr. as I thought the 21yr. was quite remarkable and probably jumped while they were still available.I know that they are rather tight lipped with the sources of these ultra-aged ryes,but if they are truly of the same source a bit more barrel influence would be welcome as the only real fault I found in the 21yr. was in the nose as it was a bit simplistic and closed form what you would expect form a product of this age,maybe another 4 years would add some depth and richness.

If I could find the Jeff 25yo rye I would give be happy to compare it to the 21. So far no luck. Have only seen the 25yo (and 30yo) bourbon.

• 3 weeks later...
If I could find the Jeff 25yo rye I would give be happy to compare it to the 21. So far no luck. Have only seen the 25yo (and 30yo) bourbon.

Incoming PM, got offered one today from under the counter at my local, but its mighty pricy.

Incoming PM, got offered one today from under the counter at my local, but its mighty pricy.

Thanks! Aren't they all? :cool:

Just opened a bottle and letting it breath before my first taste.

Will report back later after I get to know this better.

y3yga6av.jpg

Edit: Sorry, this is from someone who has only drank CoK and Medley rye and bunker enough to last a while so mostly only drink those routinely. The only other rye I have drink is Jeff 10 NCF and HW21 on occasion.

Initial impression (2nd pour) nothing like CoK or Medley. Similar taste profile (from memory) to Jeff 10 NCF and perhaps HW21 that I have been drinking. Will do some SBS to be sure. Note, I have not had Jeff 21 rye yet.

Not woody at all and taste actually very young for 25 years. Smooth and easy to drink.

If you are like me who love CoK and Medley, then this is very different. If you like Jeff 10 NCF and HW, taste profile is consistent and like an older and more refine pour.

Edit: Sorry, this is from someone who has only drank CoK and Medley rye and bunker enough to last a while so mostly only drink those routinely. The only other rye I have drink is Jeff 10 NCF and HW21 on occasion.

Initial impression (2nd pour) nothing like CoK or Medley. Similar taste profile (from memory) to Jeff 10 NCF and perhaps HW21 that I have been drinking. Will do some SBS to be sure. Note, I have not had Jeff 21 rye yet.

Not woody at all and taste actually very young for 25 years. Smooth and easy to drink.

If you are like me who love CoK and Medley, then this is very different. If you like Jeff 10 NCF and HW, taste profile is consistent and like an older and more refine pour.

I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood. Compared to a Vintage Rye 21, which is very dry and has a fair amount of oaky wood notes it seemed a totally different spirit. Hadn't thought totry it against the Jeff 10 but that is easy enough to do.

May have to compare the Jeff 21 to the HW21 out of curiosity. That means I may have to crack open my last HW21 but I suppose sometimes sacrifices have to be made!

Still looking for the elusive Jeff 25 rye here.

I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood.

These are available around me, but do not seem to be selling well. Lasting quite a long time for a premium product these days. Interesting to see that IMHO, rye still has a long way to go to catch up to bourbon and scotch for notoriety and popularity.

I find the Jeff 21 Rye to be much more light than expected with pleasant fruit and spice notes and really very little wood. Compared to a Vintage Rye 21, which is very dry and has a fair amount of oaky wood notes it seemed a totally different spirit. Hadn't thought totry it against the Jeff 10 but that is easy enough to do.

May have to compare the Jeff 21 to the HW21 out of curiosity. That means I may have to crack open my last HW21 but I suppose sometimes sacrifices have to be made!

Still looking for the elusive Jeff 25 rye here.

These are available around me, but do not seem to be selling well. Lasting quite a long time for a premium product these days. Interesting to see that IMHO, rye still has a long way to go to catch up to bourbon and scotch for notoriety and popularity.

Same here. I still see the Jeff 21 Bourbon on shelves. I think the 21 and 25 year rye will be around for awhile.

Finally had a chance to try the Jeff 21 and 25 SBS (along with a Jeff 10 and a couple of other ryes). Understandably hard to justify spending that much on either of them but both are interesting and tasty whiskies. The 25 was particularly nice and a shame it didn't carry a bit more proof although I din't think it was particularly thin.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.