Does shape make a difference?

Ziggy925
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All of mine were sourced from the distillery, but you may have luck finding some on an auction site or Amazon.

Mine, too. But a search of Ebay reveals several options including 2 of the 125th anniversary glasses for $20. Amazon has lots of things listed under bourbon glasses.

• 2 months later...

Still a newb myself, and need to make my intro post but i have 2 glencairns i just received and have been using which work great. I actually prefer aslightly larger tulip shape and have a dogfish head goblet that was gifted that truly works better for me for swirling and nosing. search them online, they work great with a splash of water. got me obsessed with bourbon.

A glencairn for tasting and making notes, but I usually go for a bulleit glass when I'm just drinking.

I own a couple of glencairns, as well as a couple of N.E.A.T. glasses, and I use one or the other when pouring something for the first time, but I do find them a little less user-friendly for every day sipping. If I'm half-way reclined watching TV, the glencairn isn't really the best option. Then it's usually a standard rocks glass, or my Silver-rimmed whiskey glasses if I'm feeling Don Draper-ish.

Been thinking recently about trying the Canadian glencairn.

I own a couple of glencairns, as well as a couple of N.E.A.T. glasses, and I use one or the other when pouring something for the first time, but I do find them a little less user-friendly for every day sipping. If I'm half-way reclined watching TV, the glencairn isn't really the best option. Then it's usually a standard rocks glass, or my Silver-rimmed whiskey glasses if I'm feeling Don Draper-ish.

I've been eyeing that the last few days myself. Saw it when I purchased the glencairns from the 'Zon, the canadian glencairn was a recommendation the following day when I checked the shipping status. Really seems about the size I like, same as my Dogfish goblet, but without the stem and a more solid base. Hoping to find a cheapo similar shape at wallyworld to try first before I buy a nice one.

I have both regular Glencairns and Canadians (for when I occasionally want just a cube in my bourbon). Recently took both styles to taste Canadian whiskies with friends. We all agreed immediately that the regular Glencairns did a superior job of concentrating the nose so we bagged the Canadians. I prefer the regulars for sipping neat or for serious analysis--as serious as it is possible for me to get. For drinking, especially in summer, I prefer a rocks glass with a heavy bottom. My favorites are WT glasses from the distillery. They hold a generous serving and they taper slightly to benefit the nose more than glasses that flair out like the 4R glasses.

I've been eyeing that the last few days myself. Saw it when I purchased the glencairns from the 'Zon, the canadian glencairn was a recommendation the following day when I checked the shipping status. Really seems about the size I like, same as my Dogfish goblet, but without the stem and a more solid base. Hoping to find a cheapo similar shape at wallyworld to try first before I buy a nice one.

Nobody uses one of these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18231[/ATTACH]

well this one time, back in my college days...that was pretty standard weekend glassware right there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.