What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sam Houston Very Small Batch - 10 year age stated Batch 2. Just a little hesitant on this NDP bottling, but with an age statement and low batch number this might contain some solid bourbon?!?

Passed up not one but three of the original Jeff Ocean for $189.99. Not so surprising they are still on the shelf I suppose.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17382[/ATTACH]

Also saw a Hirsch 28 bourbon for a very economical $371.99...

Interesting but but not that interesting!

Sam Houston Very Small Batch - 10 year age stated Batch 2. Just a little hesitant on this NDP bottling, but with an age statement and low batch number this might contain some solid bourbon?!?

Well, it might. 10 years ago there were only a few distillers making Kentucky Straight Bourbon whisky and all of them are capable of putting out a solid product. Of course there's the price to consider, I wouldn't pay more than I would for Craig 12, Ezra 12 or McKenna 10.

Passed on the newest PHC @$120, Stagg JR @ $60, Bowman Gingerbread and Last Millennium both around $100. Almost brought the Stagg JR home but decided not to last minute.

I wonder if that is the "new" ocean.. given the scarcity of the first batch it is a miracle any of it is left

I thought the same thing but this looked like the original bottle I have. My understanding is that the Ocean II won't be out until later this year at the earliest and the bottle will look a bit different. But who knows? Anything is possible!

I was passed on some handy rye and 199.00. I asked if they had any other hard to find bottles. He showed me a Pappy 23. I asked how much and he told me 1299.00. I then handed him the three other bottles of misc spirits I had already pulled off the shelves, probably close to 200 worth and told him he just lost a long time customer and will be spending my $ at another store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kicker is this was the owner of the store.

Well, that's even better. You took your shot, and got your money's worth. Well done.

:toast:

He showed me a Pappy 23. I asked how much and he told me 1299.00. I then handed him the three other bottles of misc spirits I had already pulled off the shelves, probably close to 200 worth and told him he just lost a long time customer and will be spending my $ at another store.

:bowdown: well done........well done.

Well done Thunderdan. Just the other day, I passed up a '13 Lot B at $349. I asked them if it was labeled correctly. They said yes, it was the last one. I said it's still a $50-$60 bourbon, but do what you have to do, and then walked out. This gouging at the retail level is getting a bit ridiculous.

Well done Thunderdan. Just the other day, I passed up a '13 Lot B at $349. I asked them if it was labeled correctly. They said yes, it was the last one. I said it's still a $50-$60 bourbon, but do what you have to do, and then walked out. This gouging at the retail level is getting a bit ridiculous.

I battle with this internal struggle all the time: as between retailers and flippers who charge much more than MSRP for bottles, who do I have more of a problem with? I'm beginning to think that I have more problem with the flippers, but the problem with that conclusion is that it's almost easier to build a loyal relationship with people who have secondary market bottles than it is with some liquor stores who are driven (sometimes by a legal duty) to maximize profits. And flippers occasionally have a very good back story for why they are getting rid of a bottle for cost or near-cost other than greed (i.e., wife sees credit card statement and threatens to tip liquor cabinet).

I don't know. I go back and forth. It's an ethical quagmire.

I don't mind paying my whiskey monger a little more than MSRP. If he has it and can make a little more that's all OK but when they start doubling the price I'll take my business, even for the bottom shelf items, somewhere else.

Not for me. . . myself and my money go elsewhere shaking the dust off my shoes.

...and a difficult time for retailers. Imagine what you would do if you owned a store and had a $60 bottle on the shelf that you knew flippers were getting $250 for...it's like selling money for free...tough issue to deal with for sure...

Passed on two stagg jr's on the shelf at $57 each and balcones single malt for $65. May go back, just trying to convince myself.

...and a difficult time for retailers. Imagine what you would do if you owned a store and had a $60 bottle on the shelf that you knew flippers were getting $250 for...it's like selling money for free...tough issue to deal with for sure...

Passed on Jefferson's 25 from two of the stores I frequent. Not any interest.

Best regards, Tony

I was passed on some handy rye and 199.00. I asked if they had any other hard to find bottles. He showed me a Pappy 23. I asked how much and he told me 1299.00. I then handed him the three other bottles of misc spirits I had already pulled off the shelves, probably close to 200 worth and told him he just lost a long time customer and will be spending my $ at another store.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!