Punch Gran Puro

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This afternoon, after work, out on the deck I enjoyed my first Punch Gran Puro. I paired it with a nice pour of EC18. The following are the basics of this cigar, taken from Cigar.com :

Punch Gran Puro is all-Honduran with an extra-dark, extra-bold Havana-seed wrapper developed exclusively for this cigar in the rich San Agustin Valley of Honduras. In addition, the binder leaves as well as the wrapper leaves are sun-grown and carefully selected from the highest primings to ensure the cigars' special color and flavor. The result is the puro of puros--a cigar impossible to imitate. A medium to full bodied cigar, Punch Gran Puro has a round, spicy taste with a hint of natural cinnamon that comes from the unique soil of the San Agustin Valley. Handcrafted in natural cedar, the Punch Gran Puro box expresses the cigar's rich heritage with an elegantly domed medallion that features a classic illustration of Mr. Punch and his dog Toby.

Now for my own impressions: My cigar was a Rancho; a robusto. It was relatively veiny with a light chocolate color. It lit very quickly, although there was a bit of uneveness to the burn at first. A little touch-up with the lighter and it was off to the races. The draw was effortless with plenty of gray-blue smoke to fill the air.

To me the cigar came across as medium bodied with notes of cedar and an up-front nuttiness that reminded me of brazil and/or hazelnuts. The punch had a nice finish with a warm smokey/woody taste remaining on the back of the palate. Overall a really great smoke!

One of the trademarks of a good cigar is its ability to remain lit even when not smoked for a few moments. For a full five minutes my cigar sat unattended while I was taking a call. When I returned it was still burning away, nice and even.

The Gran Puro is the newest line of Punch cigars. For $5.15 at Schwab's, this was all I could have asked for in a cigar for twice its price. Make this your next cigar! bandit.gif

Nice review. I've never had a Punch GP. I'm not sure why, but I do not smoke too much from the Punch line that isn't Habanos. I do like the robusto size, and for $5.15 maybe instead of buying a Padron 5000 next time, I'll grab one of these and see! smile.gif

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a bad smoke. Slight spice and musty earth predominate on the palate. As it progresses it gets a little woodier and creamier, but loses the spice. Not bad. However, at 5 bucks for the Robusto, I think I would rather smoke Ramon Allones, Sancho Panza, Saint Luis Rey or even Short Stories.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jeff, I did and I got a lot of the same things you did, and A LOT (!!) of smoke (as well as a good buzz), now I see why you liked them so much! That is one FAT robusto (54 gauge) I could definately tell the difference in my mouth.

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.