BOTM 1/14: Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Happy New Year Everybody!

Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow member here, the BOTM to kick off 2014 is Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch.

My notes, whether anyone cares or not; :lol:

Nose: There's some BT familiarity on the nose, but also something a little different. There's the BT mustiness that I like, but it's somewhat muted to me. The musty aroma (wood and leather) that I like is pretty much overshadowed by the pepper/tobacco that's present. What rounds the nose out for me, is a little nuttiness and a hint of something sweet that I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste: I really like bourbons that are in the 100 proof range, and I usually find that I have no problems whatsoever with bourbons of that proof. This one was a little eye opening for me at first. It was a bit hotter than I expected. The pepper and tobacco flavors were the most noticeable, along with a combination of candy corn on steroids (maybe that was the sweetness on the nose I didn't get at the time?), spice, and just a hint of that burnt cookie or pie crust flavor that I love. I wish there would have been more of the burnt cookie/pie crust flavor instead of the pepper/tobacco. I think that would have evened the flavor out for me quite nicely.

Finish: I really can't say that it was warming, because I thought it was a bit hot from the get go. :hot: Ah hell, I'll say it anyway. :skep: A warming finish with the candy corn and tobacco/pepper flavors mellowing out some and the spice coming out more. And here's where it got a little more weird for me. This is also where a wood flavor, and some alcohol/citrus showed up. (Kinda like a HH product?) Like I said, weird. Not what I'd call a long finish, but not a short one either. Just a nice, medium ending. Yeah I know. :crazy:

Added notes: My palate may have been a bit off when I had my first pour of the Taylor Small Batch. I'm not sure, but at the time, I would have sworn that this was a wheater in disguise. :shocked: I let this one sit a few days after my first couple of pours, and low and behold everything kinda mellowed out a bit, just like when you let a wheater sit for a while after opening it. :rolleyes: Whatever the reason, this one changed a lot for me after the first taste. Complex flavors with a lot going on. A bit hard to really figure out. I know all this sounds like I don't like this bourbon so much. I actually do like it for the most part though. I think it's decent. Decent, but not great. Here's a couple of maybe's just for good measure. Maybe a little more time in the barrel would help this one out some. Maybe I'm just spoiled by wheaters, and other bourbons that aren't quite so hard to figure out. Maybe I should quit going on and on, and let the rest of you chime in with your thoughts. :Clever:

Cheers, have some fun, happy posting, and again, Happy New Year!

Joe

I actually quite liked the SmB,I would fully agree that it was a bit hot for the given 100prf but settled nicely with some due open time.I actually would say that of the CEHT line that only the SM and Tornado finished ahead of this bottling for me personally.I feel it is rather well integrated and a bold whiskey indeed,I find this to be actually quite a bit superior to the Stagg Jr. IMHO.and priced $10 less.The SmB is by far and away the value of the line and I personally have run through several bottles and have quite enjoyed them all.

Will admit to having only tried the SmB from the range (though am tempted to pick up the Rye). Enjoyed it, found it to be hot...in need of both a splash of water and some time in the glass.

Funny thing, even though it's readily available around KY, i just haven't bought a second bottle. When i had the open bottle on my bar, just didn't reach for it as much as others.

funny you picked this one for BOTM, as I was just given one for my B-day last week by a friend. Ive never had it, but after I get some open bottles out of the way, I'll get into it and see for myself. It sounds good!

I really love this stuff. I would drink it more often if it was cheaper, but it really hits the spot for me. I think this is the best looking bottle on the shelf! Here are my notes:

Nose: Orange zest, pineapple, marzipan, lemon juice, refined sugar, angostura, toasted brown sugar, toffee

Taste: Sugar and clementines up front, followed by star anise, cinnamon and allspice mid palate, then creamy oak and coffee at the back end; creamy mouth-feel, moderate tannin

Finish: medium length, citrus fruits, milk chocolates and baking spices

Overall: Tastes like an Old-Fashioned straight from the bottle. Not as rich, spicy and flavorful as the Tornado. More mellow baking spices and cocktail bitters laced with lots of citrus notes. Fantastic on the palate from start to finish. Very enjoyable bourbon for any occasion.

I also like this one a lot. It's a good value compared to others in the line. I like the single barrel, but for the price, the small batch fits the bill and is a better value. I enjoy this one neat with no water needed and find it smooth enough (but I do like barrel proof bourbons in general). My notes are very similar to those above with the addition of butterscotch on the nose and a bit in the finish. I'll buy this one again if I come across it.

anyone know the age of this? It just says Bottled In Bond on the label, but I know Ive heard people say 8 or 9 years. With no age statement, who knows....

Great BOTM to start the new year off with! Purchased my first bottle a couple months ago and I've really enjoyed. Matter of fact that I've enjoyed all the offereings of Colonel E H Taylor I've tried, especially the rye.

Have a bottle of this with one pour out of it. I recall liking it enough to set it aside while I cleared out other stock. I will revisit it tonight in honor of BOTM.

Nice! I don't have a bottle on the shelf at the moment but I really like EHT Small Batch. I'll have to grab another bottle and really focus on some tasting notes.

anyone know the age of this? It just says Bottled In Bond on the label, but I know Ive heard people say 8 or 9 years. With no age statement, who knows....

I remember reading somewhere that it is 7YO. Seems to me, though, that they would brag about it on the label if so. There aren't many 7YO BIBs out there and BT would have a competitive advantage. Other than, if people think that the price means it must be 8 or 9....

Reading this thread makes me want to go out and buy another bottle. I finished my first one off a couple months ago. I prefer the small batch over the single barrel. I have a bottle of barrel proof but haven't opened it yet. I've never found a bottle of Tornado but am on the lookout.

Interesting selection for BOTM. I agree with others. There is a distinct BT family taste. I also notice a musty scent along with a hint of cherry. The entry is a little hot but I don't find the need to add water. On the palate, I note some spice, maybe pepper but also some of the cherry that I noted in the nose.

This bourbon would be a great deal in the $25 to $30 range, possibly as a step up from BT but as a sister bourbon to ER10. I don't know if I would consider it a better option than ER10, especially the store selections of ER10.

I had tried this one before and like it but had never purchased a bottled since the normal retail is around $40. I bought a bottle on sale and I am glad to have it around. I plan to explore it more. I doubt I will buy another bottle given the price, especially since I can find store selections of ER10 for about $10 cheaper.

Will admit to having only tried the SmB from the range (though am tempted to pick up the Rye).

If you like the BTAC Thomas Handy Sazerac, you'll like the rye. Completely different mashbill - no corn, just rye with malted barley - but it has a very similar flavor of spicy confectionary.

I'm quite fond of Small Batch. It has a surprising amount of spice for something made from BT's lower-rye mashbill, yet the backbone is sweeter than the rye-spice would let on. I think it's incredibly well balanced. Too expensive for an everyday pour at $40ish a bottle, but very nice for a treat. Or if you have a guest you want to impress.

I'm quite fond of Small Batch. It has a surprising amount of spice for something made from BT's lower-rye mashbill, yet the backbone is sweeter than the rye-spice would let on. I think it's incredibly well balanced. Too expensive for an everyday pour at $40ish a bottle, but very nice for a treat. Or if you have a guest you want to impress.

This is a very good description and was a surprise to me as well,this is one of the few CEHT's that has been a repeat purchase for me.Now if they would put the rest of the line in a competitive price bracket.....yeah right!:grin:

Interesting selection for BOTM. I agree with others. There is a distinct BT family taste. I also notice a musty scent along with a hint of cherry. The entry is a little hot but I don't find the need to add water. On the palate, I note some spice, maybe pepper but also some of the cherry that I noted in the nose.

This bourbon would be a great deal in the $25 to $30 range, possibly as a step up from BT but as a sister bourbon to ER10. I don't know if I would consider it a better option than ER10, especially the store selections of ER10.

I had tried this one before and like it but had never purchased a bottled since the normal retail is around $40. I bought a bottle on sale and I am glad to have it around. I plan to explore it more. I doubt I will buy another bottle given the price, especially since I can find store selections of ER10 for about $10 cheaper.

Wholeheartedly agree. ER10 is not my favorite bourbon by any stretch but I have had some store selections of it that were superb.

I went through a bottle of this when it first came out and didn't care for it. I don't remember it well enough to have tasting notes, I only remember that I didn't want to buy it again.

I really love this stuff. I would drink it more often if it was cheaper, but it really hits the spot for me. I think this is the best looking bottle on the shelf! Here are my notes:

Nose: Orange zest, pineapple, marzipan, lemon juice, refined sugar, angostura, toasted brown sugar, toffee

Taste: Sugar and clementines up front, followed by star anise, cinnamon and allspice mid palate, then creamy oak and coffee at the back end; creamy mouth-feel, moderate tannin

Finish: medium length, citrus fruits, milk chocolates and baking spices

Overall: Tastes like an Old-Fashioned straight from the bottle. Not as rich, spicy and flavorful as the Tornado. More mellow baking spices and cocktail bitters laced with lots of citrus notes. Fantastic on the palate from start to finish. Very enjoyable bourbon for any occasion.

I really like the small batch, it might be my favorite of the BT high corn mashbill, for the money. Unfortunately it's going for $40 now instead of $34 like my last bottle.

Nose: It smells like my colleague's 1970s wood condo in Lake Tahoe, the kind that is still decorated with the original orange and avocado colored appliances.

Taste: It has a quick, sweet start then BOOMEXPLOSION. After that, it mellows for a second and tastes like a cabinet.

Finish: That cabinet is subsequently lit on fire and smolders in your throat.

Overall: This bourbon uses your uvula like a punching speedbag. If that's your thing, you'll like it. I didn't, but one of the other TWS SelectLadiesTM did.

I've liked all the other CEH Taylors quite a bit but had never gotten the small batch. This thread was the push I needed. I like this a lot! Definitely tobacco and leather in this. There's a nice spice but not too much. A little cherry comes out in the end. I'm going to get another bottle or two to keep on hand.

Have had a bottle since it came out and I've tried it on several occasions but just can NOT get into it. Can't say offhand what I find disagreeable about it, but may try to put my finger on it tonight.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.