Redemption Barrel Proof 6yr Rye

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This product showed up in Northern CA recently, but I haven't seen it discussed in the forums here. Has anyone ventured to try it? I believe the specs are: Barrel Proof (120.8), MGP rye mashbill, 6 years old, and is about $60. It's in a different bottle than the standard Redemption Rye offering.

This product showed up in Northern CA recently, but I haven't seen it discussed in the forums here. Has anyone ventured to try it? I believe the specs are: Barrel Proof (120.8), MGP rye mashbill, 6 years old, and is about $60. It's in a different bottle than the standard Redemption Rye offering.

$60 seems a bold request from this NDP given that they haven't had any prior offerings that seemed particularly noteworthy and that the MGP sourced BP Willet ryes that are a bit younger but typically a good bit cheaper.

Heck, you can find Handy on occasion for close to that with a bit of luck!

I agree, bold request, but I'm starting to see the Willet FE 4 year stuff creeping up to $39.99 around here, so it might not be that much of a stretch. $10 bucks a year I guess.

All that being said, I didn't find much difference between the Willet 4 yr and 5 yr stuff I had, it would be interesting to see if Redemption and their 6 year product is much of a difference.

Well, it will be as different as any other 4 yr MGP compared to a 6 yr MGP. Insofar as I can see the only thing special about this bottle is barrel proof and for the price I would rather get half a case (6 bottles) of 6 year old 90-100 proof Bourbon under one of Heaven Hill's labels.

Tried it didn't like it. Wasn't really bad but just meh and really not as good as RITTBIB which is still south of $20 around here.

Been passing it up regularly around here, and I gather I will continue to do so. Not a ringing endorsement from TT. I feel pretty good with my collection for much less than $60 a bottle--WT 101, Ritt BIB, Baby Saz, Jeff 10, HW Rendezvous, etc.

Thank you all for responding. I agree that the asking price seems like a stretch, which is why I asked for SB input prior to buying. Considering that input, and knowing that TunnelTiger had a lackluster experience with it, I’ll leave this one on the shelf. Maybe I can give it a shot if I find it in a bar.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all for responding. I agree that the asking price seems like a stretch, which is why I asked for SB input prior to buying. Considering that input, and knowing that TunnelTiger had a lackluster experience with it, I’ll leave this one on the shelf. Maybe I can give it a shot if I find it in a bar.

Thanks again.

Picked up a bottle of this for fun. I quite like it. Subtle orange aroma and spice with a good bit of smoothness for a 120 proof. Opens up in the glass nicely. I'd love to see it at $40, but the way everything else is going $60 isn't too bad. Is it a world beater? nooo, but I'm not sorry to have it on the shelf at all....

RW - I appreciate you taking a chance on this rye and sharing your notes. It sounds like it is not objectionable at all, though maybe still overpriced. If I see it on sale somewhere I will give it a shot. How would you say it compares to other NDP ryes, like Willett FE 4 year?

RW - I appreciate you taking a chance on this rye and sharing your notes. It sounds like it is not objectionable at all, though maybe still overpriced. If I see it on sale somewhere I will give it a shot. How would you say it compares to other NDP ryes, like Willett FE 4 year?

I'll have to revisit some rye this evening and let you know. Thanks for the excuse to sit down and 'evaluate' :grin:

For what it's worth, the Smoky Beast blog posted a rare negative review for this one. Gave it their first F. (Not that anyone should base a decision on a blog review)

I did a little tasting last night of Willett 3yo 110 proof rye, Redemption rye and an old (actually, THE old 2006 1st year) Handy 132.7 proof.

The Willett and Redemption showed similar family resemblance, with the 3yo being rather simple with heat, the 6yo with more of everything is better all around. The Handy killed 'em both, with massive depth and complexity dark pit fruit, vanilla, chocolate and smoothness for it's strength.

A bit of an unfair comparison. I'd give the Willett an 82 or 83, the RR about an 86 and the Handy a 94.

Cheers,

RW

• 3 weeks later...

Picked one of these up today (first time I'd seen it, and when trying to search for info on it from my phone - this thread didn't pop up). Sounds like it might be hit/miss. Going to crack it after dinner and will share my notes. Figured $60 for 6 yr barrel proof rye (this batch is 122 proof) sounded like a fair ask. To Bruce's point - Handy can be had for that sometimes (although I never run across it - I'd buy it all day long at $60!), although I don't expect it to be that similar (this being 95% rye vs the THH "barely legal" rye mashbill).

Picked one of these up today (first time I'd seen it, and when trying to search for info on it from my phone - this thread didn't pop up). Sounds like it might be hit/miss. Going to crack it after dinner and will share my notes. Figured $60 for 6 yr barrel proof rye (this batch is 122 proof) sounded like a fair ask. To Bruce's point - Handy can be had for that sometimes (although I never run across it - I'd buy it all day long at $60!), although I don't expect it to be that similar (this being 95% rye vs the THH "barely legal" rye mashbill).

I passed on this a few days ago but please feel free to share on Saturday if you are so inclined! Might cause me to change my mind.

I passed on this a few days ago but please feel free to share on Saturday if you are so inclined! Might cause me to change my mind.

I will definitely bring this on Saturday!

Just cracked it open (and when I took the cork out, there was this "smoky mist"; not sure if they put something other than air in there with it? Not something I recall with other bottles?), so this is my first impression.

Nose: Burnt orange zest, apricots, light spice, bit of mustiness to it. Unmistakably rye.

Palate: Similar to the nose, more citrus than baking spices, nice and warm, but not hot for its proof. That sharpness I appreciate from a rye.

Not sorry one bit with this buy! It isn't as nice as THH for sure (not as complex), but not a lot of barrel proof ryes out there for comparison.

I was with the Smokey Beast the night he opened his bottle of Redemption BP rye and it was horrible.. It was like pickle juice and liquid fire were blended together to produce a whiskey. Last week I had the opportunity to sample Batch #2 (the SB bottle was batch #1) and it was a decent whiskey, exactly what you would expect barrel proof 6 yr LDI rye to taste like.

• 1 month later...
I was with the Smokey Beast the night he opened his bottle of Redemption BP rye and it was horrible.. It was like pickle juice and liquid fire were blended together to produce a whiskey. Last week I had the opportunity to sample Batch #2 (the SB bottle was batch #1) and it was a decent whiskey, exactly what you would expect barrel proof 6 yr LDI rye to taste like.

Mine in question is batch #1. It has opened up nicely over the last couple months. Still a simple, fruity-spicy little number that is OK, tho most likely I'll not spring for another.

• 3 months later...

I currently have both the standard Redemption Rye and the Barrel Proof Redemption.

The standard Redemption is fine. As an LDI, it tastes a lot like Dickel, only I find Dickel has a bigger flavor and spice and at a lower price.

I was surprised to see Smokey Beast's negative review of Barrel Proof Redemption. I absolutely love it and will be buying another bottle as soon as my first is done. At 121 proof, this stuff packs a fist full of flavor like nothing else!

Of my bottles of rye (I think I'm now up to 17 ryes), Barrel Proof Redemption is currently in my top five favorites.

I currently have both the standard Redemption Rye and the Barrel Proof Redemption.

The standard Redemption is fine. As an LDI, it tastes a lot like Dickel, only I find Dickel has a bigger flavor and spice and at a lower price.

I was surprised to see Smokey Beast's negative review of Barrel Proof Redemption. I absolutely love it and will be buying another bottle as soon as my first is done. At 121 proof, this stuff packs a fist full of flavor like nothing else!

Of my bottles of rye (I think I'm now up to 17 ryes), Barrel Proof Redemption is currently in my top five favorites.

Seemed like Batch 1 had some negative reviews. The current Batch 3 (Never saw a Batch 2 locally) seems to be better received.

Seemed like Batch 1 had some negative reviews. The current Batch 3 (Never saw a Batch 2 locally) seems to be better received.

I just checked. Mine is batch 2.

Well not sure which batch mine is but is 122 proof and I did a sbs last night with it and HW Rendezvous.

The Redemption just blew the HW away and I love me some HW.

Maybe it's just me but it seems that LDI is getting a whole lot better making ryes.

Yea Indiana!

Well not sure which batch mine is but is 122 proof and I did a sbs last night with it and HW Rendezvous.

The Redemption just blew the HW away and I love me some HW.

Maybe it's just me but it seems that LDI is getting a whole lot better making ryes.

Yea Indiana!

I think HW Rendezvous is a blend of Indiana rye and some other rye. I haven't tried it yet but have a bottle on the way.

Agree about Indiana. Most of my favorite ryes are from the Indiana distillery. Sazerac and Rittenhouse being the only two non-Indiana ryes I really enjoy. (I would probably add Michter's to that list if it weren't so watered down!)

I love my batch 3 . . . in fact, once the glass is empty, going to top it off with some of that!

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.