New whiskey glasses from Libbey

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Libbey Glass, in my home town, has announced a new line of whiskey glasses designed for the growing interest in upscale whiskey. Their spokesman notes that people who are paying $25 a shot in bars or $400 a bottle for home consumption think the barware ought to reflect the status of their purchase. Sadly, there is no mention of the role of the shape of the container in nosing or tasting.

Their spokesman notes that people who are paying $25 a shot in bars or $400 a bottle for home consumption think the barware ought to reflect the status of their purchase.

I'm ever the skeptic, but my guess would be that they think people who are paying $25 a shot in bars and $400 a bottle for home consumption think the barware ought to reflect the price of their purchase.

The Glencairn glass seems to be the perfect shape? Curious as to what this new one looks like.

Found a news article that has a picture of the new glassware.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2014/01/05/Libbey-quenches-growing-thirst-for-better-glassware-for-booze.html

I will admit they look interesting, but enough to replace or supplement my existing collection? We'll see.

-- Ravensfire

The one on the left looks interesting but I get a feeling that one costs as much as 4 Glencairn?

Let the "X" number of red Solo cups for 1 fancy Libbey glass value comparison exercise commence!!! :lol:

Before we get to the Solo cups, I'm still working on whether Ball beats Kerr or Mason.

Before we get to the Solo cups, I'm still working on whether Ball beats Kerr or Mason.

My vote would be for Ball jars on this one. :lol:

As a graduate of the esteemed Ball State University, you know where my loyalty lies!! :D Yep, same Ball...:rolleyes:

Really, giving Ark St. 9???? Go Ball U!!

The one in the back with the heavy bottom looks nice. Something about a heavy bottom …

The one in the back with the heavy bottom looks nice. Something about a heavy bottom …

That's one of my favorite shapes also. Could be a little shorter to really get me interested.

That's one of my favorite shapes also. Could be a little shorter to really get me interested.

I think that Woodford handed out glasses in that general shape at a sampler a few years back. Nice curve with very heavy bottom. Problem was, they were very fragile and one of mine didn't even make the trip home.

All in all, it's good to see the trickle down to other industries from the bourbon boom.

Now, as to Solo cups, the only drawback is that hummingbirds are attracted to the red ones. It can a real bitch keeping them out of your good stuff.

Just wait a couple months and I am sure you will be able to pick these up at half price from the Libbey Oulet.

The way I read that article, Libbey might be targeting bars more than individuals with this stuff.

The way I read that article, Libbey might be targeting bars more than individuals with this stuff.

Possibly, but I can't see Libbey passing up the chance to put them in various stores for the additional sales. Two of them looked fairly interesting, if I ever get the man-cave and liquor bar I want I might have a few of them next to my Glencairns.

-- Ravensfire

I would also favor the back one of the three. The muffin top glencairn on the left looks like it could result in a deceptively large drink!

I find that while Libbey tends to be relatively inexpensive their focus on the on premises market makes it hard for the individual consumer to buy the glasses unless you want a couple dozen at once (I bought an entire box of Libbey coupes at one point, about 36 I think, because I am always breaking the damn things!). If a store is willing to sell the glasses individually there tends to be a healthy mark up for the privilege of buying only a few at a time.

Crate and Barrel has a nice collection of glassware.

I agree with this, and at a good price point too. That is how my wife gets me go shopping with her.

If sellin' shine to the vodka crowd, plastic gallon jug.

Rumor has it that Solo is working on a new clear version of their plastic cups. :bigeyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.