Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to Sku (and the TTB website) for alerting me to this future bottling of 13 and 16 year old barrels. Sounds awesome. I have not had Tribute or American Spirit, but the Tradition I had was amazing. Really looking forward to this new release.

Since this a tribute bottling for Jimmy, maybe the 91 proof is his sweet spot??

Mr. Russell used to always state in the past that 101 was his sweet spot. He's probably been made to stop being honest.

91 proof? WT continues to give connoisseurs the bird.

Mr. Russell used to always state in the past that 101 was his sweet spot. He's probably been made to stop being honest.

91 proof? WT continues to give connoisseurs the bird.

Have we all just made the decision that higher proof is better and there is no way anything under 100 is any good? Or can we wait to taste it before we just dismiss it entirely?

I think wording on the label is really interesting: "a very blend of 13 to 16 year old hand-selected barrels"

"Blend" is such a loaded and legally defined term

Have we all just made the decision that higher proof is better and there is no way anything under 100 is any good? Or can we wait to taste it before we just dismiss it entirely?

I personally don't buy anything under 100 proof anymore because I found I just didn't like most sub-100 proofers. And when I drink barrel proof, I don't find that I ever dilute it to under 100 proof.

Most of what I drink I cut to around 90 to 95. The issue is letting us control where we find the best flavor. And why do we have to keep stating this obvious fact?

Not to dampen the argument that more proof is better (it often is) but when limited juice like this is watered down it usually means more bottles for the rest. Also, with WT's low barrel entry proof and the age on these, WT could be picking lower barrels on the rack that have had given too much to the angels. With that said, labeling this release with the most information possible, as well as non-chill filtering it at barrel strength would be ideal.

I think wording on the label is really interesting: "a very blend of 13 to 16 year old hand-selected barrels"

"Blend" is such a loaded and legally defined term

Loaded, but the label says KSBW as well so nothing to worry about there.

As far as conjecture that the 91 proof is because of anything other than a business decision, I find that basically impossible to believe. Forgiven is 91 proof, the new export 13 year is 91 proof. This is what it comes down to:

Take a 53 gallon barrel of bourbon. That's approximately 200 L of barrel proof bourbon at the time it's filled. Assuming 50% evaporation that barrel will produce 100 L of bourbon at about 110 proof. That works out to be the equivalent of ~109 L of 101, or ~121 L of 91.

This hypothetical barrel would yield 133 bottles at barrel proof, 145 at 101, or 161 bottles at 91. Assuming a $90 retail price, we're talking nearly $1500 more out of the same barrel at 91 proof versus 101 proof. That's why it's 91 proof.

#NeverTamed

Most of what I drink I cut to around 90 to 95. The issue is letting us control where we find the best flavor. And why do we have to keep stating this obvious fact?

OK, said they used the B word, but at least it's not a Small Batch Single Barrel offering. If it's under $50, I'll eat my hat.

OK, said they used the B word, but at least it's not a Small Batch Single Barrel offering. If it's under $50, I'll eat my hat.

Maybe some schlub accidentally proofed it down to 91 and they decided they liked it so much they just had to bottle it?

Maybe some schlub accidentally proofed it down to 91 and they decided they liked it so much they just had to bottle it?

Right. They were going to call it F*ckup II but decided Diamond Anniversary had a nicer ring.

This had me laughing to myself like an idiot in my living room. Well played.

Hang in there, y'all. Let's see how it goes when we taste the whiskey. Heck, it hasn't even had the benefit of the Airtime, yet...

Well....we've already been programmed to "like" gas at $3 per gallon, so maybe this will be easier than we think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.