Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WT's last two tweets are amusingly at odds (not that Twitter is a reflection of anything besides what's going through their intern's head at the moment): post-9787-14489820323732_thumb.png Eddie recommends 81 proof for mixing and Jimmy recommends 101 for mixing. I guess they both recommend 91 for sipping.

Maybe they should have stayed with the often-confused 'Tr' word naming convention for this one:

Trepidation

Truncated

Transgression

If this costs less than $40, I'll take back every criticism I've ever leveled at Campari.

I'm expecting it'll be $90. But it's old Turkey... It might well be fantastic.

I think I've been looking at this from the wrong perspective. Perhaps this special release is aimed at those customers who enjoy Wild Turkey 81 and the shitty rye.

I think it's hard to compare the proofing between ETL to WT Diamond. One's a regular on the shelf and the other is a limited premium.

Not hard at all. My point in the comparison is only on the whiskey. I'm not concerned with all of the other extraneous angst-ridden hand wringing on this subject.

I would be surprised if this isn't more like $149 or so given the boom we are in right now. It's a real shame, some of the best bourbon ever made IMHO was turkey, now they can't even keep the proof at 101 for a tribute to Jimmy?! Just wrong.

If the price is higher than the proof, I'm out.

If the price is higher than the proof, I'm out.

If the price is higher than the abv I'll flip them the bird. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I visited WT in September of 2012, and told Jimmy that WTT and WTAS are two of my all time favorite bottles. I asked when another special release was coming out. Jimmy (who was tyring to move some excess American Spirit in the gift shop) told me there was nothing in the works. About five minutes later, while Jimmy was making some more new friends a 20-something employee nodded me over to another corner of the gift shop. I had assumed he was just running a register and scheduling tours, but he told me that there would be a special release for Jimmy coming out in 2013, and that Jimmy knew nothing about it.

I had some reservations given the way he told a nobody like me something like that, but it may make some sense now (although the timing is a little off). While I'm sure Jimmy can't be aware of every barrel on the premisis, I'd also imagine that it would be hard to get an entire rickhouse to age 4-5 years older than the standard without him finding out about it. That would indicate that there's not a lot of this bourbon that is going to be made available, and at 91 proof it will stretch that much further. I think due to a low production, Jimmy's name, and the current boom for "special" bottles, this thing could carry a triple digit price tag with no problem. Heck, they get a premium price for Forgiven, which I can mix myself for half the cost.

So that's what it's called now, a story. Honey, when I said I wasn't cheating on you I was just telling a story.

Heck, they get a premium price for Forgiven, which I can mix myself for half the cost.

Well, to be honest, I don't know how much they are "getting" for Forgiven. They may be "asking" a premium price, but it's not exactly flying off the shelves from what I've seen. I hope WT is learning from somthing like Forgiven, and is also looking at its competition. From what I see, Forgiven, Jefferson's Collaboration and Bulleit 10 sit at $50. Stagg Jr. moves quickly, ECBP gets snapped up, and OFBB '13 disappeared very quickly--all compelling products in one shape or form, at reasonable prices. PHC 6th sat at $80, and PHC POH is really sitting at $90-$100.

I think they're all probing the market, and there will be some hits, and some misses. But I think that for the most part, the market shows that it better be a good and compelling product to move at $50, and it better be a darn good and compelling product to move at $100. That standard doesn't necessarily apply to PVW and BTAC (and now I suppose FR LE), which sell themselves regardless. Will be interesting to see where this one falls.

Edited by jeffrey r

Well, to be honest, I don't know how much they are "getting" for Forgiven. They may be "asking" a premium price, but it's not exactly flying off the shelves from what I've seen. I hope WT is learning from somthing like Forgiven, and is also looking at its competition. From what I see, Forgiven, Jefferson's Collaboration and Bulleit 10 sit at $50. Stagg Jr. moves quickly, ECBP gets snapped up, and OFBB '13 disappeared very quickly--all compelling products in one shape or form, at reasonable prices. PHC 6th sat at $80, and PHC POH is really sitting at $90-$100.

I see much the same. I know the higher end stores are flush with Forgiven. I have even noticed dust on some of the bottles. It is hard to reach the ones way in the back that were there as part of the initial shipment. :shocked: I haven't seen it as much in the mid-tier stores. Initially, stores would push it on you when you went in. Now, they have just given up. I am a willing buyer at 1/2 price. I will buy some at $25 a bottle.

It would be interesting to hear from Eric and other retailers on how well Forgiven is moving.

My guess is that Diamond will move very well regardless of the price because it is older stuff and "rare."

Sounds like Eddie's doing a better job of sticking to the corporate line.

Eddie has more to lose Jimmy is one F#$^ you away from retiring.

I would be surprised if this isn't more like $149 or so given the boom we are in right now. It's a real shame, some of the best bourbon ever made IMHO was turkey, now they can't even keep the proof at 101 for a tribute to Jimmy?! Just wrong.

Where is the like feature when you need one?

It would be interesting to hear from Eric and other retailers on how well Forgiven is moving.

That's assuming they care. If distributors buy it, and stores from them...the corporation already has their $. Assuming they don't have a warehouse full of the stuff, they're likely laughing about it in some marketing meeting.

I'd be surprised if this were less than $150, too, in which case there's no way I'll buy it, especially before I taste it. Now, if they took $75 of every bottle sold and put it toward something worthwhile I would at least think twice about saying no before ultimately saying no.

That's assuming they care. If distributors buy it, and stores from them...the corporation already has their $. Assuming they don't have a warehouse full of the stuff, they're likely laughing about it in some marketing meeting.

It's hard to imagine them having stockpiles in warehouses, because it would presumably be easy for the to re-create at any time.

I think it will cost $101. ... :grin:

I'll wait to see what emerges here - given these are 13- and 16-year old barrels, they are all pre-Compari distilled, and lower proof off the still and into the barrel. In a few more years, a 13 to 16 year old product from WT will be lamented as "not what it used to be" as it will be the result of today's distillation and aging specs. And it will probably be $201 ...

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.