Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think the problem is that the store I found several bottles of it in has it sitting next to Lagavulin 16 @ $49.99, Talisker 18 @ $89.99, Laphroaig 10 CS @ $49.99, and several other remarkable deals that make it hard to reach for an unknown like Ealanta.

I would be considerably lighter of wallet if I lived in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be considerably lighter of wallet if I lived in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a struggle. My bourbon access is great, but my scotch access is better.

I'm coming to Atlanta and stocking up on Lagavulin.
I'm in Maryland, FWIW.

For those prices I may be headed to Maryland myself! I would probably be greedy and clear out the Tally 18. It is now typically $120+ here

For those prices I may be headed to Maryland myself! I would probably be greedy and clear out the Tally 18. It is now typically $120+ here
You would be sorely disappointed, for the most part. Talisker 18 is cheap at 3 local stores: My TOP SEKRIT honey hole and both Total Wine stores in MD, but otherwise, prices are general high/normal. Aforementioned honey hole has those cheap prices, otherwise you can expect to pay MSRP or a bit above at 99% of location in MD. Laphroaig 16 is around $70-$80 most places, for example.

You would be sorely disappointed, for the most part. Talisker 18 is cheap at 3 local stores: My TOP SEKRIT honey hole and both Total Wine stores in MD, but otherwise, prices are general high/normal. Aforementioned honey hole has those cheap prices, otherwise you can expect to pay MSRP or a bit above at 99% of location in MD. Laphroaig 16 is around $70-$80 most places, for example.

Those Talisker 18 prices indicate the bottles have been sitting on the shelf since before last year's massive price hike by Diageo. I found one like that in Maryland, too, but you should be able to repeat the performance anywhere with low turnover on that item, if the store doesn't increase the price to match the current prices, as opposed to what they paid for it.

Those Talisker 18 prices indicate the bottles have been sitting on the shelf since before last year's massive price hike by Diageo. I found one like that in Maryland, too, but you should be able to repeat the performance anywhere with low turnover on that item, if the store doesn't increase the price to match the current prices, as opposed to what they paid for it.

Yeah, but takes a bit of luck these days.

I did find a couple but haven't seen one locally under $100 in a while now. But I always look when I am out on a raid to a new store or area in hopes of scoring more!

Glenmorangie Ealanta for around $110. I'm considering it, just not sure I want to spend the money on it.

Ealanta reminds me of PHC 7th (or visa versa). Both are impressively drinkable with no detectable flaws, but neither have a "headline" flavor profile. I really like the Ealanta and reach for it a lot when I want a top quality no-drama pour. I would buy it again for $110.

Talisker 10 at $65. I used to like this a lot ... in the mid $40s and grudgingly at a little over $50 last year. Diageo has found my limit.

Glengoyne 17 for $60. I'm not much into Scotch. Should I go back for it?

If you're "not much into Scotch", why even consider it?

Glengoyne 17 for $60. I'm not much into Scotch. Should I go back for it?

For $60, you can do better. Start lower and move your way up the ladder. Balvenie 12 year DW for $40 would be a better choice if you're just starting in Scotch.

For $60, you can do better. Start lower and move your way up the ladder. Balvenie 12 year DW for $40 would be a better choice if you're just starting in Scotch.

If only DW 12 was $40 around here...

You live in the wrong state if you're looking for good deals.

:smil41df29a15fb35:

I kid, I kid... I am glad we have some lifelines though ;)

Passed up a lot of IB's and the largest selection of BenRiachs I have ever seen in a store. I have a few more places in Dallas I'm going to look but these babies were just too dang expensive. Though that BenRiach single barrel 16 claret finish did intrigue me...

post-9128-14489820554971_thumb.jpg

Passed up a lot of IB's and the largest selection of BenRiachs I have ever seen in a store. I have a few more places in Dallas I'm going to look but these babies were just too dang expensive. Though that BenRiach single barrel 16 claret finish did intrigue me...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17895[/ATTACH]

Were any of those peated? That rum & Madeira looks interesting.

I'm sure the following are peated:

Curiositas 10yo

the three 12's that say "fumosus"

authenticus 21 &25 (the one on the far right looks like one of these two)

Benriach is one of my favourites and luckily fairly well priced here in Ontario - where almost everything is a rip off. I've seen many of those here for a couple of bucks less that those shelf prices.

Edited by portwood

Yeah, a bunch of them were peated. I was really interested in that Rum and the Claret single barrel but the prices just seemed crazy, since you still have to add 8% tax to that. I may go back for the rum and that claret finish if I can come to terms with those prices.

Anyone here more familier with how BenRiach prices usually go? In WA we rarely have more than a few expressions available. I'll do some searching, just curious if someone here pays more attention :)

Also, CW, second from the left was a peated 12 year dark rum finish, might be up your alley

Edited by MtnDew

Aberlour A'bunadh for $79.99. Almost $20 more than what I paid for the bottle in my cabinet (purchased 4 days ago)

I passed on a few local Redbreast 21s this weekend with prices ranging from $280-$310.

Also, CW, second from the left was a peated 12 year dark rum finish, might be up your alley

Can you take pics of the bottle/label next time?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!