Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up on Octomore 6.1 for ~$168 after tax today. Thats a decent price, great for WA state, but I'm in my April no buy month :(

I see that Talisker 18 has finally made the price jump here.. from $99 to $159. Good stuff but will have to pass at that price.

Compass Box The General. You GBS guys make it sound majestic....couldn't brave price ($299).

The General is pretty amazing stuff, but I also just passed on one for $310. Was surprised to see it in the cabinet, but I think the price is keeping the flippers away from it :)

My favorite honey hole has a few cool bottles that I keep looking at but have to budget to buy. There are multiples of the following: Dalwhinnie 29, Cragganmore 29 & Glen Ord 30. These were all bottled prior to 2005 and I believe they were part of Diageo's allocated releases from that time period. All are very well regarded expressions from these distilleries. If anyone is interested feel free to PM me. There's also a Compass Box General but I didn't catch the price on that one.

Bowmore 30 with the dragon for $499.99. Was looking for a friend who was interested. But without the fancy box he passed.

Passed on a slightly dusty. (2006ish) Highland Park 18 with the paper sunset label. I'm guessing there is no difference in the whisky and I quite like the newer bottles.

Passed on a slightly dusty. (2006ish) Highland Park 18 with the paper sunset label. I'm guessing there is no difference in the whisky and I quite like the newer bottles.

Difference may be fairly subtle but I suspect that whisky that would not have been bottled in 2006 as a single malt but instead designated for a blend might now be finding its way into current single malt bottles at many distilleries, and not just HP.

Have seen and been offered the Arran Devils Punch Bowl II a couple of times recently at around $120-125. They know a sucker when they see one!

Didn't get the first one. It is a bit like the Balvenie Tun in that it is a blend of multiple barrels of various single malt. I did like a couple of Arran single cask 16yo bottles I got recently.

post-8493-14489820763445_thumb.jpg

Have seen and been offered the Arran Devils Punch Bowl II a couple of times recently at around $120-125. They know a sucker when they see one!

Didn't get the first one. It is a bit like the Balvenie Tun in that it is a blend of multiple barrels of various single malt. I did like a couple of Arran single cask 16yo bottles I got recently.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18218[/ATTACH]

I have the first one but haven't opened it yet. I'll crack it for our May get together. I recall hearing good things.

I have the first one but haven't opened it yet. I'll crack it for our May get together. I recall hearing good things.

Dang! That may mean I have to buy this one to compare...

:cool:

BRUCE - go easy! I see you twisting your own arm pretty hard, and would hate for you to hurt yourself :) I mean, who would make cocktails next week!

BRUCE - go easy! I see you twisting your own arm pretty hard, and would hate for you to hurt yourself :) I mean, who would make cocktails next week!

Good point Gary! I am twisting it pretty hard though...

Dang! That may mean I have to buy this one to compare...

:cool:

Dooooooooo it, Bruce!

Enabler extraordinaire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's be honest, Bruce was gonna get it no matter what I said.

Enabler extraordinaire!

Doesn't take much...

Saw a couple of the soon to be dusty Laddie Ten on the shelf next to the newer NAS stuff. The Ten was even cheaper! Tempted but I already have a bottle so I passed. If someone has an unfulfilled nostalgic hankering for some of the original Laddie Ten let me know!

post-8493-14489820807221_thumb.jpg

Passed up on a bunch of Specs bottlings at their Houston mega store, including the Laddie 22 yo calvados finished. The scotch selection was actually smaller than the Dallas store I was at a few weeks ago.

Douglas Port Ellen 27 (March 1983-Feb 2011, Cask 7000) for $342. While I realize this is likely one of the last times I will see Port Ellen in a store for under $500 a bottle, I just can't pull the trigger . . .

Compass Box The General for $300ish, maybe $350.

Passed on a bottle of Bruichladdich Laddie Classic at $66 and PC7 at ~$100. Either worth picking up?

FWIW, I thought The Laddie Ten was enjoyable, but not overly exciting. I really liked PC10 though.

Also passed on a bottle of McGibbon's Provenance Caol Ila 1981 (19yr) at $120. Can't find much on it. Anyone had it?

Passed on a bottle of Bruichladdich Laddie Classic at $66 and PC7 at ~$100. Either worth picking up?

I like the PC7 more than PC10. Laddie Classic didn't do much for me.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!