Railean Distillery (San Leon, TX)

TexasSpiritsGeek
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just finished interviewing Kelly Railean on her operation and products. I got a chance to tour her place back in April. She's running the whole distillery herself with minimal help from volunteers; pretty amazing! Check out my entry on the distillery and her products at: http://www.txspiritsgeek.com/distilleries/railean-distillers-importers. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for updates and facts on other Texas Distilleries.

A handful of us went down for a tour a couple months ago, and I think we all enjoyed it. Kelly definitely cares about her work, and produces a quality product at a surprisingly low price. I don't always drink rum, but when I do its Raileans.

Andy I didn't find your tasting notes.

Hi Squire! I appreciate the desire for tasting notes and I've tasted all of the products that I've written up so far, but I've chosen not to post tasting notes as they are highly subjective. My goal is to post strictly factual information at this time. I want this site to be an "apples-to-apples" comparison of Texas Distilleries, and a reference for folks to find answers to frequently asked questions on Texas distilleries and products. For now, I'll leave the tasting notes up to others, but I may come back and add my personal tasting notes at later time. If there's a particular product that you're interested in my tasting notes on, let me know and I'll make a post in the Tastings section of these forums.

Some clear photos of the front and back labels would be useful I think, along with some comments by the distillers themselves which are not a repeat of what's already on their web sites or in featured coverage by local media.

A very nice start.

I don't think posting your tasting notes is a problem if they are clearly labeled as such. Also I couldn't find the details of the interview either. Is it posted? Will it be posted? To be honest if the interview only elicited the info on the distillery page you currently have it doesn't seem all that helpful. Might be useful to bring the details about what is distilled locally and what is sourced to the main distillery page rather than having to go to each individual spirit to find it.

I agree with Squire that more comments from the distillers that adds more than the distillers own website fluff would be desirable too if you are going to the trouble to speak with them directly.

A very nice start.

I don't think posting your tasting notes is a problem if they are clearly labeled as such. Also I couldn't find the details of the interview either. Is it posted? Will it be posted? To be honest if the interview only elicited the info on the distillery page you currently have it doesn't seem all that helpful. Might be useful to bring the details about what is distilled locally and what is sourced to the main distillery page rather than having to go to each individual spirit to find it.

I agree with Squire that more comments from the distillers that adds more than the distillers own website fluff would be desirable too if you are going to the trouble to speak with them directly.

Thanks for the input! I haven't posted the interview notes, because the interviews are typically full of "fluff" as much as their websites are. I'm trying to cut through the fluff and post the facts. I'll be trying to add more content and meaningful questions to the interviews based on the feedback I've received so far. I do intend to make a graphic for each spirits category summarizing all of the distilling/sourcing details for each product under the category for quick reference. The feedback is greatly appreciated! My site is young and is evolving continuously.

Good luck with the interviews, perhaps some useful information will surface. Be mindful though, even veterans with more than 50 years in the business may refuse to even give out a mash bill.

I suggest it would be in the micro's best interest to be very open about their products. If you can't tell us why your product is better then perhaps it isn't.

Good luck with the interviews, perhaps some useful information will surface. Be mindful though, even veterans with more than 50 years in the business may refuse to even give out a mash bill.

I suggest it would be in the micro's best interest to be very open about their products. If you can't tell us why your product is better then perhaps it isn't.

Agreed. I will not hesitate to take liberties to "fill in" any question that remains unanswered. Refusing to answer any question simply opens it up to my creative imagination to explain why the question was not answered...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.