Knob Creek Rye

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Curiosity finally got the better of me. I was out hunting, and saw it on sale, well under $30. The lack of discussion around here should have been my warning. It tastes exactly like Old Overholt, except a little more age and proof. It has the peanut skin aftertaste (like Overholt). It's mighty hot too. Not much else. I had a dram of Dant BIB after the KC Rye, just to make sure nothing as wrong with my taste buds. The Dant tasted just fine. In the future, I'll pass Overholt, and KC Rye. Maybe it works as a mixer, but not straight for me.

So beam had two rye labels. OO used to be good. Now they have three. They all blow. HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM. Something doesn't add up here.

Hell, I like beam rye, and OO before it got too young and hot, and I struggled to finish a bottle of KC rye. It's like they amplified all the bad qualities.

I thought it was unremarkable neat, but made pretty decent cocktails. I'm just glad that I bought it pretty cheap for ~$22, since it sells for $42 here in Virginia!

Hmm, I liked KC Rye. I find hotter ryes (oh its hot) work well. I'd say its a good pick if it was priced under $30 but I think my store sells it for $40? That's looney tunes.

Let's not forget the (ri)1 which is of the same stable.

True but they still all blow. Their only competition for last place in my taste test is WTR81.

I received a Ri1 for x-mas, and planned on making Manhattans with it. Once I did, the drinks showed no Rye characteristics at all. Made a few versions, and the spirit was always lost. (And I make strong drinks.) I finally choked down the rest of the bottle by pouring it over ice. I guess it ended up working as a maintenance drink.:rolleyes: I wish Suntory would hurry up and get here.

Overholt and JB Rye positively bore me to tears. Ri1 did at first too, but it grew on me. Particularly, as I bought it at $19.99, instead of $49.99...:D Seriously though, it definitely has more depth and fullness to the OO and JBR. My bottle of KC Rye was a very pleasant and surprising development. The proof and age really gave it a significant boost over other Beam ryes, and I likened it WTR 101 in oomph factor. I like punch me in the nose and make my eyes water type of ryes, and IMO the KCR did that for me. Interestingly enough, I haven't purchased another bottle, though I am tempted often, due to the price. I danged near did last week, and may decide to this week, however.

Overholt and JB Rye positively bore me to tears. Ri1 did at first too, but it grew on me. Particularly, as I bought it at $19.99, instead of $49.99...:D Seriously though, it definitely has more depth and fullness to the OO and JBR. My bottle of KC Rye was a very pleasant and surprising development. The proof and age really gave it a significant boost over other Beam ryes, and I likened it WTR 101 in oomph factor. I like punch me in the nose and make my eyes water type of ryes, and IMO the KCR did that for me. Interestingly enough, I haven't purchased another bottle, though I am tempted often, due to the price. I danged near did last week, and may decide to this week, however.

Ri1 could not find my Joey button, or anyone else's button, for that matter.

Ri1 could not find my Joey button, or anyone else's button, for that matter.

It's a one of a kind, I'm afraid. :D

I almost picked up an (ri)1 today just because I thought "For $20, how BAD could it be?"

If you want the definition of 'I'll come back for that' look under famous last words.

Very true. In this case, it was still there (meaning if it was worth a damn, it wouldn't have been :lol:) But it did come home today. Definitely an interesting pour, and I don't mean that completely in a bad way. The nose is just odd - bordering on unpleasant, but not quite there (like a whiskey that was on the way to ruin, but stopped shy of it). On the palate, it is sharp, thin, a bit fruity on the finish. I think in a blind SBS I would pick Ritt BIB (354 or 1) over this, and am fairly certain I would prefer this over OO, WTR81, or JBR. The higher proof is probably the biggest help in that regard (but again, Ritt for the same money seems like a no brainer to me).

Beggars can't be choosers- I like my Beam ryes. I actually think the KC Rye is pretty good. Yes, it's pricey, but it's not like we can just go out and pick up a nicely-aged rye for under $40 very easily anymore. I take what I can get.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.