Old Blowhard

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice. Still a very good price for that and even better that you liked it.

WashDC and environs -

Old Blowhard runs around $150 per 750ml while Barterhouse is "on sale" at $85. Just can't justify paying that. But, that's just me. Around $50? Sure, I'll buy one.

WashDC and environs -

Old Blowhard runs around $150 per 750ml while Barterhouse is "on sale" at $85. Just can't justify paying that. But, that's just me. Around $50? Sure, I'll buy one.

Ive had both and will not be purchasing anymore Blowhard at any price. The Barterhouse I have 3 bottles of at $74.99 a bottle and paid that happily. It is a fine bourbon to my palate.

HOF - I'm not a fan of woody bourbon (or wine for that matter). Anything over 10-12 yrs I usually skip. I've seen notes on Barterhouse that are conflicting on how oaky it is w/a few people I know liking it in spite of its age. Thoughts?

HOF - I'm not a fan of woody bourbon (or wine for that matter). Anything over 10-12 yrs I usually skip. I've seen notes on Barterhouse that are conflicting on how oaky it is w/a few people I know liking it in spite of its age. Thoughts?

Im with you on that I don't like to much wood in my bourbon either. It's the main reason I don't like Blowhard. To me the Barterhouse is not woody at all. I even think the ECBP is a heavy wood flavor for me, don't like Parker's heritage for the same reason. Just to give you an idea kind of how my taste buds work.

Thanks, and thanks for the detail. I'd decided against either, but I think I'll visit the local bourbon bar and try a few Barterhouse. $85 is still a lot when I can get four OGD BIB for about that or even two SAOS 10 yr which I love for the same price. But, when in pursuit of heaven . . .

Thanks, and thanks for the detail. I'd decided against either, but I think I'll visit the local bourbon bar and try a few Barterhouse. $85 is still a lot when I can get four OGD BIB for about that or even two SAOS 10 yr which I love for the same price. But, when in pursuit of heaven . . .

I had it a few weeks ago, along with a WLW and GTS, it was not as complex as those, more straightforward, but held its own. If you can try some I highly suggest it. If you do let me know what you think. Interesting about the SAOS 10, I thought that was heavy wood/smoke for me. Seemed like a heavy char. I will have to revisit it, tried it once and have not went back to the bottle so far.

Edited by HOF44

I was the opposite to many of the experiences here. I don't enjoy Barterhouse, but love the Old Blowhard. To each their own. My girlfriend likes the Barterhouse, so I have to have both, regardless :)

The Old Blowhard isn't my favorite bourbon or anything, but I like what it does and it tastes unique to me.

The Rhetoric seems to lack personality by comparison to either of the above - even though I don't dig Barterhouse, I understand that it has character and it pleases a lot of people.

tbt

• 4 weeks later...

I must revise my criticism of Rhetoric in the above post.

After living with it for a short time I came to appreciate its balance, and now enjoy drinking it very much. OBH and BH haven't changed for me. I had a pour of OBH last week with a friend, and we both love it.

tbt

I must revise my criticism of Rhetoric in the above post.

After living with it for a short time I came to appreciate its balance, and now enjoy drinking it very much. OBH and BH haven't changed for me. I had a pour of OBH last week with a friend, and we both love it.

tbt

:toast:

Personally, I have no opinion at this point on the Rhetoric, as I'm still working my way through my bottle. But, I appreciate you stepping out and stating your change of opinion, TBT. Things can change, right? But, hard to admit, sometimes...and harder to put it out publicly.

Thanks.

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.