Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of this from Eric at Packages & More Liquors today. He just got it in yesterday, I think. Curious as to how it tasted, we went ahead and had a small sample at the store just to see. Initial impression is that it has a terrific nose, little burn for 120 proof, and a nice long finish. Yes, I know this is "sourced" whiskey but nonetheless a very favorable first impression. Anyone else tried this? If so, what did you think?

Interested to know the pricing on this? Is this something special to Eric's store, or is it something that will be a little more wide spread?

Not a special release. Pricing was 49.99, but Old Scout's distributor for Ky. has an odd pricing schedule, as all the Old Scout products Eric carries are the same price, 49.99. This includes the rye, the 10 yr old bourbon, the 5-7 yr old bourbon, and the barrel proof bourbon. Neither Eric nor I could figure that out.

I think it was a 7 yr rye that Dan picked up and we sampled in WV. Was quite tasty. Definitely puts you in mind of the other LDI ryes, but for just a few bucks more I would lean towards the OS.

Damn tasty rye. Not many barrel proofers at that age out there.

I recommend to any rye fan. I purchased a bottle for my personal collection too.

I've been sipping from an OS 7yr 99proof; haven't seen an 8yrBP to try but will buy it when I do. I like the 7yr a lot (yes, I tend to ryes over wheats but drink both).

Smooth Ambler's website has lots of good info about OS in its various forms & includes a search function that lists, by state, restaurants/bars as well as stores that sell SA's OS and other products.

And I have no connection to Smooth Ambler Spirits - I just like their OS 7yr.

Picked up a bottle of this from Eric at Packages & More Liquors today. He just got it in yesterday, I think. Curious as to how it tasted, we went ahead and had a small sample at the store just to see. Initial impression is that it has a terrific nose, little burn for 120 proof, and a nice long finish. Yes, I know this is "sourced" whiskey but nonetheless a very favorable first impression. Anyone else tried this? If so, what did you think?

I first had Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye 7 year at the April WhiskyFest in Chicago and then visited their WV distillery in June (and brought home a bottle). It is a great rye pour. (I haven't had the opportunity to try the 8 year old. It is not listed on the Smooth Ambler web site.) The folks at the distillery were very upfront with the whisky being KY sourced (without revealing the specific source.)

The distillery is a few years (perhaps 4 years) old. At first, all their whiskies were sourced. They indicated that they have plenty of rye on hand for several years, and are not planning to do any rye whisky distilling.

Their young bourbon (I believe its now called Yearling) was originally sourced, but I think that they are now producing and selling their own.

They had a 10 year old bourbon when I was at the distillery, which is a fantastic bourbon. It is also sourced, but they were very secretive as to identifying the source. On their web site, they only list 6 year and 7 year old bourbons (obviously sourced). The 10 year is not listed. Not sure why or if the 10 year is sold out.

Shell

Edited by Shell

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but from reading their 'about me' page link from their home page.....

the bottles named "Old Scout" are sourced, and the "Smooth Ambler" bottles are their own product.

Id like to know a bit more next time I see some on the shelf.

I picked up a bottle of this at Astor Wines in NYC just a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, it's their own barrel selection specifically for the store.

Priced at $65...a little tough to swallow, but you really aren't going to find a BP rye of this age for that kind of cash right now.

After having several pours, I'm decidedly happy that I purchased it and may even have to grab another.

post-10570-14489820460573_thumb.jpg

Astor has lost their damn minds with their private selection pricing, but I guess they can. The rest of the world has that around $45. You are right that there's not many competing products for that specific market. Willett is usually half the age and 110 proof, anything BP and 8 years and up is north of $80.

Astor prices are a little higher but at that proof you are getting close to two bottles of 80 proof, just a thought.

It's not a bad deal in a vacuum, but Astor has always been competitive with their pricing until the past 4 months. They now have Old Scout selections that are marked up 50% when compared to similar offerings from TPS or other vendors ($75 vs. $50, $65 vs. $46). They had an OWA pick that was somewhere near $40 if I recall.

Not intending to threadjack, just surprised to see these new Old Scout prices from them. Or rather, not surprised at all.

I think it's great that Knifestyles finds value at that price point and is considering another bottle.

Picked up a bottle from Astor also omw home from work few days ago. Tasted and seen the 7yr aroud the city for $35-$50 and it a decent pour. Astor is only place with the 8yr barrel proof, and like knifestyles said, it does not disappoint. Love my '13 THH and my soon to be empty '12 Saz 18. This is a very nice option to have between those two.

• 5 months later...

Picked up one of these today and popped it open tonight. Mine came in at 121.8p and halfway through the first glass I am loving it.

So far very similar to a Jeff10 that I finished off a few months ago, and barrel strength makes it even nicer (without the jefferson douchery). Of course tastes may change through the bottle, but first impressions this stacks up well with (my admittedly few) tastes of Saz, and beats out THH.

I love this stuff! I paid $48 for a bottle a few months back... Wish I would have bought two cause I haven't seen it around here since. 8 year old barrel proof rye for less than $50 is a steal.

I love this stuff! I paid $48 for a bottle a few months back... Wish I would have bought two cause I haven't seen it around here since. 8 year old barrel proof rye for less than $50 is a steal.

John and the folks at SA do such a great job at select whiskeys for the Old Scout bottlings!

I had no idea there was a 8 year Old Scout BP Rye! I love the 99 proof 7 year Old Scout. I'm all over this. Dang, I'm glad I found this forum!

EDIT: I just bought the 8 year Old Scout BP online for $50 plus taxes/shipping. Can't wait to put it up against the Redemption Barrel Proof for comparison.

Edited by Hedonist

I had no idea there was a 8 year Old Scout BP Rye! I love the 99 proof 7 year Old Scout. I'm all over this. Dang, I'm glad I found this forum!

EDIT: I just bought the 8 year Old Scout BP online for $50 plus taxes/shipping. Can't wait to put it up against the Redemption Barrel Proof for comparison.

Had a rather odd tasting bottle of the OS 8yo BP rye just yesterday. It was a local store pick and I don't think it would have been my first choice.

Is it available as an off the shelf bottle as well as a store pick option?

Edited by tanstaafl2

Had a rather odd tasting bottle of the OS 8yo BP rye just yesterday. It was a local store pick and I don't think it would have been my first choice. I

s it available as an off the shelf bottle as well as a store pick option?

Yes, you can buy the 7 yr rye on the shelf.

Not sure if SA always sends 4 samples per request, but i tasted at least 4 of them as part of the selection process at a local LQ. I've also had Kenwood's out of Chicago. I agree with you; odd is right. I wouldn't pay $50 for it but that's just me.

The 8 and 10 yr bourbons I've tried, OTOH, if fairly priced, would be a good value.

San Fran Wine Trading Co has an 8-yr pick and they sell and ship online.

Edited by BootsOnTheGround

Yes, you can buy the 7 yr rye on the shelf.

Not sure if SA always sends 4 samples per request, but i tasted at least 4 of them as part of the selection process at a local LQ. I've also had Kenwood's out of Chicago. I agree with you; odd is right. I wouldn't pay $50 for it but that's just me.

The 8 and 10 yr bourbons I've tried, OTOH, if fairly priced, would be a good value.

San Fran Wine Trading Co has an 8-yr pick and they sell and ship online.

Yes, the 99 proof 7yo I am familiar with. Don't think I have seen or heard about a cask strength 8yo rye that wasn't a store pick but there certainly could be one.

Yes, the 99 proof 7yo I am familiar with. Don't think I have seen or heard about a cask strength 8yo rye that wasn't a store pick but there certainly could be one.

Here's a link to the press release on the SA website. They released it (very limited release, apparently) in Feb 2014. One of my stores in WashDC asked for it for me in May but was told it was not available. The wholesaler had one SAOS 10yr so I bought that, instead. Still asking for the BP/CS every once in awhile but no longer hold out any hope. Guess I'll just have to wait for the SA wheat whiskey to hit the shelves. (Sigh.)

http://www.smoothambler.com/2014/02/smooth-ambler-releases-single-barrel-cask-strength-old-scout-bourbon-and-old-scout-rye/

Oh there is one, and it is very good indeed. I picked up a few bottles when Eric had it in stock. Now gone, and I don't think he's getting anymore in to replace it. Really good stuff!

Did you pick up a bottle of this from DPS? I'm going to pick up another bottle, and maybe two, enjoying it that much.

Did you pick up a bottle of this from DPS? I'm going to pick up another bottle, and maybe two, enjoying it that much.

I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.