Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.

After reading Smokybeasts blog and their note about SFWTC having their own 8 year barrel pick rye (59.7abv), I stopped by pick up 2 bottle last week. After a few pours over the course of five days, the nose is similar to Angels Envy rye but not a sweet. The typical LDI rye scents pop out, slight caramel with gingerbread, mint and that pickle brine I always get from the 95/5 mashbill. Initially the taste is a bit hot, with a slight dark chocolate bitterness with some hot mint spice. It's not a black pepper spice, definitely more a menthol like since it doesn't linger. The finish is dry with slight charred oak. Water opens up the nose making it sweeter and more of that pickle brine pops through. The heat is cut back a bit, lighter caramel flavors appear but overall doesn't change dramatically, same with the finish. This isn't one of my favorite sipping ryes, but I'll enjoy this over an ice sphere more and might try it in a high end cocktail.

but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.

I have and I agree 100%.

At first smell: Pinesol

At last taste: Grape Pucker

I didn't make a lot of friends with those comments. But hey, when it's right it's right - there doesn't need to be a highly cognitive, intensive meditation of your inner most feelings to justify your experience.

Maybe that's MGP talking? I've gotten acetone on several high rye MGP rye or bourbon I've nosed/tasted. It fades with time, but if you're not patient with your whiskey, it can be disappointing especially if you're spending a mint on the bottle.

I suppose it all depends on the barrel that's been selected. I'm not picking up any of the bitter or Pinesol notes you guys are talking about the The Party Source barrel pick I have here.

I suppose it all depends on the barrel that's been selected. I'm not picking up any of the bitter or Pinesol notes you guys are talking about the The Party Source barrel pick I have here.

• 7 months later...
I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.

Green's on Ponce has a new shipment from Smooth Ambler an 8yr cask strength rye. I came into this thread to get a feel for the boards reaction to this from previous offers. DPS still has some of their store purchase on the shelf for $35.00. I didnt see a price on Green's bottle I was going to ask but assumed it was the same as DPS.

Don't get down to the Ponce Green's very often but let me know if you go take a look! The DPS rye improved over time but it never really fully got over that slight bitter finish for me. Others liked it fine so might have been just me.

Don't get down to the Ponce Green's very often but let me know if you go take a look! The DPS rye improved over time but it never really fully got over that slight bitter finish for me. Others liked it fine so might have been just me.

It was 43.99 and they had a lot of it so I'm in no hurry. The Saz Jr they had at 28.99 was gone. I will likely pick another one of those up from a different store.

• 1 month later...

Was lucky enough to find a bottle of this at a Liquor Barn in Lexington this past weekend. Picked it up over the Redemption Rye 7yr at $80+. Looking forward to popping it open this week!

I bought a 7yr Rye yesterday. Very impressed! Just south of 41 dollars including tax.

I also had the 8Yr BP Rye about a month ago. Wonderful! The 7yr expression is pretty close IMHO.

Edited by Wild1z

Got 2 last week via mail-order. I think the BP's were $56. Bought them blind, but I figured since Bulleit was my manhattan rye of choice (so far), more proof and more age couldn't be a bad thing...

Probably be the end of the summer before I crack one open...don't have a ton of space...have to clear a couple others first.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.